surveillance ideas

/ surveillance ideas #11  
Covert cam...I think it's name...stand alone power(batteries) and can send you a text picture...so you have a saved picture and know right then when

/ surveillance ideas #12  
that sounds like a good idea, i can get power to the camera, and if they see it upon entering the garage/barn i will already have
them recorded, hopefully. especially if they look and say, cheese! i'll look into that a little more.

As an added measure, if you have decent internet (I know that can be a big IF), have your computer record the images to a cloud drive (like Dropbox) so that even if they come in your house and steal the recording computer, you still have the videos in the cloud.

/ surveillance ideas #13  
   / surveillance ideas
Covert says it needs a sim card for a wireless network, and strictly battery operated, and with these
buildings not heated i hate to rely on batteries, not to mention i think it means another wireless acount :(

newegg has a 3 pack version of the one from best buy, for 142$. cloud storage is a good idea, i'll have to
look into that, i think at one point i had a drop box account???

i wonder how the camera quality is, they
don't list megapixel, here is the cam specs:

Video Compression Format: MJPEG
Image Format: PAL/NTSC (Both are OK)
Image Frame Rate: 30fps (Max.)
Image Resolution: 640 x 480(VGA), 320 x 240(QVGA), 160 x 120

/ surveillance ideas #15  
Access Denied

I like the wireless idea. If someone steals the camera the images are already saved in another location.

Put one of these cameras in the window they looked into. Once they see the camera they will be discouraged from doing anything, and you will have a nice picture of them. I have one set up like that near my front door and you will be surprised how many people notice the camera. I can see exactly when the UPS or FedEx packages arrive and get an email notification within a minute or so of the activity along with a picture or video. You can also set them up with microphone and speakers to communicate. Depending on your camera and setup you can monitor the cameras from your cell phone or computer as well.

/ surveillance ideas #16  
Why not get an IP webcam mine is a Sharx and it is POE power over ethernet basically you plug a small waal wart in at the router end and run ethernet cable to the camera...they do offer wireless models BUT you need power at the camera for these..you can live stream over the web they have built in FTP functions so no PC is required and can be set for motion dectect also!! Mine records to an external drive plugged into the router...

/ surveillance ideas #17  
Is the building within wireless router range from the house? You basically can run your own home wireless network to anything within range, no batteries since you have power available where the camera would be.

Wireless routers are not complicated to use. Sharon's laptop, Kindle and iPad are all wireless network devices here at home. Plus the Chromecast thing plugged into the TV is using that wireless network. A camera would be just another network device.

/ surveillance ideas
yes, i can get signal in both buildings, (esp if i mount near a window).
we have many devices on the network already, laptops/phones, sony home theater system,
chromecast, and my dish has a slingbox that allows me to send out broadcast from my
dish system, cool when traveling, we can watch live tv or recorded items on the dvr.

i'm looking at ip cameras, and there's a million of them out there and it's getting confusing.
i'll do some more research later or over the weekend. camera quality is a concern, but i'm
seeing much higher prices for good camera quality vs game cameras but those don't have
network compatibility. (at least i haven't found one yet)

/ surveillance ideas #19  
You really get what you pay for with cameras. I've been using and enjoying game cameras for years, but over and over again I see threads where people use them for watching their homes and then trying to identify people on them when they get robbed without any success. They never seem to get that clear picture you need.

Eddie

/ surveillance ideas #20  
Since you seem to have a good neighbor and they are relatively close by, I would also consider getting an alarm that will go off if a door or window is opened when you are away. I would get one that makes as much noise as possible for as long as possible. At best, this could motivate the intruders to run away and at worst could notify your neighbor that something is wrong. Can't hurt and many of these alarms are pretty reasonable in price.

Good luck. I hope all works good for you.

MoKelly