surveillance ideas

/ surveillance ideas #31  
had a call from a neighbor this morning, she watched a guy in my back yard looking into the
back windows of my garage. she confronted him, and he made up an excuse that he was
looking for the owner. he was backing away and walking around the back of the house away
from her, as she asked more questions. she then saw the guy heading down the road as
a passenger in a pickup truck, so they had been parked over at my pole barn on the opposite
side of the property. (i'm sure they got a good look there, and that is where the most valuable items are,
as i'm storing a couple bikes for friends, along with my own stuff)
we're pretty rural, but live close to a fairly well travelled highway.
we reported this, and the neighbor gave her statement to LEO, but i was advised it might
be a good idea to get some game cams in my outbuildings as they find that when inside
they work well for identifying people better than outdoor ones that are pretty easy
to defeat, and then they aren't visible until they get inside.
i'm looking for a reasonable recommendation for some game cameras that will work on
motion and record photos or video. the LEO mentioned there are some out there for less
than $100 that will work just fine for this purpose.
any thoughts?
The best trail cam I found for $ spent meaning good day/night pictures and battery life is the browning strike force trail cam.I ordered mine from TrailCamPro - Game and Trail Cameras - Shop Camera, Reviews, Guides It came with free SD card and free shipping $129.95

/ surveillance ideas #33  
Since it's hidden inside, you might search 'spy camera' for ideas. Some of those would never be found without a lot of effort EXCEPT they also sell a hand held video screen/scanner for the wireless camera frequencies. If a thief had that scanner within range, he could see what your wireless camera could see, in real time.

/ surveillance ideas #34  
I didn't read this whole thread but I would recommend this:

Dakota Alert Wireless Security Equipment

That way you can detect movement outside the buildings and be alerted in the house. You could then call 911. Pictures are nice but having the police catch them in the act is better.

Also, you can use it later for a driveway alert.

Last edited:
   / surveillance ideas #35  
Something like this is on my want list: Amazon.com : HCO SG580MB Blackout Invisible GSM Cellular Wireless Scouting Camera : Hunting Game Cameras : Sports & Outdoors

A little pricey but it wont spook the game or criminal and you get the picture sent to your phone. This in combination with a pre-paid sim card would seem like a great solution for game pictures or security.

Looks like a great idea but Yikes, check out the reviews (particularly this one Amazon.com: Gary in Upstate's review of HCO SG580MB Blackout Invisible GSM Cellula...) and make sure it can be used with the available cellular network in your area.

/ surveillance ideas #36  
Seems to me that one must start with a good sign (stating surveillance cameras whether true or not), a motion detector to light the entrance at night when someone goes through your gate. With the lights lighting the sign stating you are being recorded, I'd think that most would move on to safer targets.

Then I'd consider game cams and/or surveillance systems. Motion detectors to turn on lights around each outbuilding.

Automatic loud buzzers that sound off when someone goes through the entrance during the day.

Sometimes, reputation of having safeguards and the ability to shoot straight is enough.

/ surveillance ideas #37  
Since you seem to have a good neighbor and they are relatively close by, I would also consider getting an alarm that will go off if a door or window is opened when you are away. I would get one that makes as much noise as possible for as long as possible. At best, this could motivate the intruders to run away and at worst could notify your neighbor that something is wrong. Can't hurt and many of these alarms are pretty reasonable in price.

Good luck. I hope all works good for you.

MoKelly

Also perhaps a gift of an inexpensive camera to the good neighbor would get the best pictures. A neighbor bold enough to confront a stranger is a valuable asset.

/ surveillance ideas #38  
Check out Manything if you have an iPhone , free app, works well
I use an old iPhone , cloud storage,
Still may get a different more complete system at some point but may have another old phone soon so could have 2 cameras going. I have tried it just pointing out the window and can see someone walking up the driveway ,

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ surveillance ideas #39  
You really get what you pay for with cameras. I've been using and enjoying game cameras for years, but over and over again I see threads where people use them for watching their homes and then trying to identify people on them when they get robbed without any success. They never seem to get that clear picture you need
Eddie

Yep, I agree with Eddie. Its all about the pixel count per image, the lenses are pretty much all good, and the light requirement I.E. less than 2 lux or equiv.

/ surveillance ideas #40  
Seems to me that one must start with a good sign (stating surveillance cameras whether true or not), a motion detector to light the entrance at night when someone goes through your gate. With the lights lighting the sign stating you are being recorded, I'd think that most would move on to safer targets.

Then I'd consider game cams and/or surveillance systems. Motion detectors to turn on lights around each outbuilding.

Automatic loud buzzers that sound off when someone goes through the entrance during the day.

Sometimes, reputation of having safeguards and the ability to shoot straight is enough.

Good advice above. Do these at the minimum. If you place a camera on the interior, do get one that is small and easy to hide. For sure if they see it, they will destroy it or take it with them. Use all of your security 24/7. From now until forever......A dog doesn't hurt, especially if he thinks the barn is his home........Make it a practice to go through a few rounds every week with something loud to let the neighborhood know that you are into this self-defense stuff.....Thank your neighbor for sure and really get the word out that you are armed and concerned enough to defend yourself.........God bless.........Dennis