Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!!

/ Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!! #1  

EverythingAttachments

Elite Member
Tractor
Which One do you want to know about?
Here is the first look at our new Everything Attachments floating tailgate box blade.

A quick rundown of the details so far:

The first model that we've made is a 72". It weighs over 900 pounds!
Category 1&2 quick hitch compatible.
Extended sides on the rear, which will make backfilling easier.
Higher capacity than our current Severe Xtreme Boxblade.
Sizes will range from 72" up to 96".
Will be accepting orders in the next 1-2 weeks.

The introductory price for the 72" model will be $2,195 shipped to a commercial business or supporting freight terminal within 1,000 miles of Newton, NC.

More details, pics and product video coming soon!
Travis
float box.jpg

/ Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!! #2  
Where's the lockdown for the rear blade? Steve

/ Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!! #3  
And the Scarifiers..

/ Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!! #5  
   / Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!!
Where's the lockdown for the rear blade? Steve

When we started designing this blade, which is a lot like the back of a Gill/Woods SR series(one of my favorite blades), the first thing I thought of was how to lock the rear gate because there are uses for it locked and unlocked.

My problem is that I haven't thought of a good way of being able to lock the tailgate without having to reach under the blade to undo many bolts or pins. Pins would be lost and both are unsafe for the user if done in the field without jack stands, etc. It is easy to come up with a solution on the sides and I didn't want to picture this customer's boxblade because it is one of the toughest, well known boxblades ever built, but if you look closely, it is easy to lock down and will take a lot of push from the back, but it has no extended area on the rear for backfilling and, unfortunately, if you look close, you will see that the rear gate is bent outward in the middle due to catching on something when moving forward in the locked position. Keep in mind that these boxblades go on tractors up to 100hp. We feel like our tailgate is as strong as any, with a fully rolled 1/4" thick 1 1/8" circle at the top making the whole gate extremely rigid. The trick would be how to lock the blade down in the middle safely without having to reach underneath to accomplish it. Just about any locking mechanism protruding from the outside will be destroyed with a 100hp tractor clearing small trees. We would like to have this feature as much as you guys do, but we truly want it to be bulletproof, safe and easy for the customer.

Please send me your thoughts/pics/drawings of how you would do this. It is still in the prototype stage, so we can change anything pretty easily.

Here is a pic of the gannon I am referring to:
Gannon Tailgate Pins 1-XL.jpg

Ted

/ Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!! #8  
Your pic of the Gannon could have easily been mine, except that the lock tabs on mine were partially broken off up til this year - my Gannon had been (ab)used by a road crew in Nevada somewhere before I got it thru the local branch of Western Power.

I finally got tired of the blade not doing all I needed and fixed the lock-downs - and even without the longer end panels it was NOT fun to get at and weld. I finally just cut everything off inside, made up two pairs of ears, drilled 1/2" holes in them after MANY measurements/trimmings, bolted them together with a washer between, reached up underneath and tacked them, then flipped the rear blade up out of the way and finished the welds.

Instead of bolts, I found some 7/16" "pto locking pins" - so far they've held, and no tools required - it's not perfect, but (to me, anyway) this is a NECESSARY feature so I live with it.

Thought I had pix of the repair, but they must have gotted deleted/mis-filed - sorry.

I don't envy you the job of figuring out how to accomplish this with even MORE things in the way... Steve

/ Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!! #9  
Add a heavy angle anti-bend reinforcement, flange down, on the floating blade. A heavy rod with several latch hooks goes from side to side, with some center supports and latches as well as the ends. The rod is rotated to lock and unlock the rear blade. A plate or bar on the end of the rod can provide a lock pin location and/ or leverage to operate the latch. This system could also provide additional support for the center of both the front and rear blade, if fitted to do that.

Bruce

BBback.jpg

/ Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!!
And the Scarifiers..

We have found that they just don't make scarifiers like they used to.
I've been talking to Ted about this and, for this boxblade, I think we're going to make our own, rather than settling for "off the shelf" shanks.

The details, as of now:

1" thick x 3.5-4" wide T1 Steel with AR400(abrasion resistant/400 tensile strength) tips. We're talking STOUT and long lasting.
To our knowledge, this is something that no other mfg has offered, past or present.

Travis