Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!!

/ Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!!
Thanks for the ideas concerning the locking tailgate. Please keep them coming.
We are listening!
Travis

/ Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!! #12  
Travis and Ted, that pic you posted is a pic of my box blade that I posted here in response to your other thread on designing/building the prototype. I don't know what you're seeing in the pic, but I don't think the tailgate on my box blade is bent. I'll check it with a straight edge the next time I'm over at my property.

In any event, I think you're spending a lot of time, energy and brain power trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist - at least with the Gannon. I don't know how thick or strong the tailgate of your box blade is, but I can tell you that bending the tailgate on my Gannon is not something I'd ever spend any time worrying about. I don't ever recall reading any posts about bending a tailgate. I think something else would fail before the tailgate would bend.

Please don't take this as criticism. I salute you for going the extra mile to try to make sure your equipment is as bullet-proof as possible.

/ Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!! #13  
I like it.

Is a lock out for the tailigate that important?

/ Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!! #14  
Nice details with the extended sides for backfilling. :thumbsup: It's coming in at a good weight, and as we all know, the heavier the better. Are you going to offer hydraulic scarifiers? Once you go hydraulic, you never go back :D

/ Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!!
Nice details with the extended sides for backfilling. :thumbsup: It's coming in at a good weight, and as we all know, the heavier the better. Are you going to offer hydraulic scarifiers? Once you go hydraulic, you never go back :D

Thanks for your comments.

I'm sure the weight of these boxes will be appealing to many. The design, weight, factory direct price, along with the superior ripper shanks made in our factory should separate us from the competition.

Yes, hydraulic and manual scarifiers will follow, hopefully in the near future.
Travis

/ Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!! #17  
I like it too. I have the Gill SR30 with floating tailgate. Generally I don't think I need the lockdown, but there have been a few occasions I could have really used the feature.

John
Thanks!

That is a good question and we're kinda wondering the same thing.
Travis

/ Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!! #18  
Although I really like the option of locking down my floating tailgate, I have to admit I've never ACTUALLY locked it into place. But, then again, the major reason for this is because I would have to get off the tractor seat to do it. Being inherently lazy, if I had some sort of remote operation which would allow me to lock it, then I would probably use it often. However, that's a pretty stupid idea. :laughing:

/ Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!! #19  
I don't know if you're still thinking about the pins to hold the tailgate down, but a guy like myself hopes to use the CAT2 quick hitch feature, and then, among other things, use the forward and reward blades to pop 6" and smaller root balls out of the ground in 4x4 mode. So the CAT 2 needs to be able to handle the repeated pounding of 9,000 total pounds from a 60ish hp CUT moving in low or medium gear coming to a complete stop repeatedly without fail. Something else to think about that I've noticed on my computer controlled HST (and maybe true for all eHST designs), although they have some power loss through their transmissions, when the tractor gets hung, the transmission tries to give the wheels max torque, up to the point where the engine management system backs the transmission off in order to keep the engine from killing. My point is that on impact, there is a greater torque hit than a simple mass in motion equation suggests. In practice, the tractor is tooling along, gets hung, and as soon as it tries slowing down due to a hang on the blade, the engine management system and transmission computer basically say eff to trying to hold the tractor and peg out the fun meter trying to keep moving by pumping any reserve power at any given engine rpm the operator had not been using through the drivetrain. The effect is something like knowing you're going to hang on a gear tractor and going to the boards with the throttle only to back off just before the engine dies.

Something Everything Attachments may want to consider as an accessory (if you guys dont already) is CAT2 to CAT3 shim rings that are long enough to properly space up the CAT2 pins on the box blade to CAT3 so it fits in a Quick Hitch without needing to custom cut down a second set of SpeeCo CAT2 to CAT3 shims.

Hydraulic scarifiers sound great! Next spring? :):):)

/ Floating Tailgate BoxBlade Finally!! #20  
Erik,
It seems like you really thought this through! I'm curious about a couple things though...

I don't know if you're still thinking about the pins to hold the tailgate down, but a guy like myself hopes to use the CAT2 quick hitch feature, and then, among other things, use the forward and reward blades to pop 6" and smaller root balls out of the ground in 4x4 mode.
I found this a bit confusing, why would the pins to hold the rear tailgate down, have anything to do with a quick hitch system, or popping small stumps/roots out of the ground? If popping stumps by going forward, you will be using the fixed cutting edge, not the hinged rear blade.
Likewise, when popping stumps going in reverse, the locking pins for the rear "tailgate" blade are a non issue, since you will be applying all the force against the stops anyways. The only advantage of having the locking pins, is when you want to extend your top link, lifting the front of the box blade, and lowering the rear, and use the fixed tailgate to help smoothly spread, and slightly compact the soil being spread. Without the rear tailgate locked, you really can't do this, as it will just hinge upward and all you'll have is the weight of the hinged tailgate itself to apply pressure.

So the CAT 2 needs to be able to handle the repeated pounding of 9,000 total pounds from a 60ish hp CUT moving in low or medium gear coming to a complete stop repeatedly without fail.
I think the main concern with the forces being apply in reverse, as in, when backing into a stump, is going to be your 3 point linkage. It will be the week point and likely fail before anything on the box blade fails. Most likely, you'd lose traction, or bend your 3 point hardware, long before bending a beefy box blade, or the mounting brackets.

Something Everything Attachments may want to consider as an accessory (if you guys dont already) is CAT2 to CAT3 shim rings that are long enough to properly space up the CAT2 pins on the box blade to CAT3 so it fits in a Quick Hitch without needing to custom cut down a second set of SpeeCo CAT2 to CAT3 shims.
Are you referring to reducer bushings?
It appears this box blade isn't designed for Cat 3 tractors.

Hydraulic scarifiers sound great! Next spring? :):):)
:thumbsup:

By the way, what you have done with your tractor is truly impressive, and I'm envious of that nice machine you have worked so hard on! :thumbsup: