Was moving snow banks and then...

/ Was moving snow banks and then...
Weather- always helpful! When I was a kid I was doing a brake job on my valiant at the end of our dirt road. It was cold, but working weather. I had the car up and I was laying on my back under it. As I was working, the snow flakes started falling. I wasn't bothered because I saw an end in sight. I'd reach for my wrench and have to brush snow away. Before long I had to start hunting for my wrenches because they'd be buried before I'd reach for them again. Got it done- but no thanks to the weather! Later -got a Ford econoline withe the engine between the seats. That was the best- like having my own portable garage!

Love the cold weather work stories!

Your story is exactly why I replaced that first filter with a Racor water-separating filter in a location where I can see it and change it easily. Plus I added a fuel shut off valve to avoid the diesel shower - took one of those myself when replacing that first filter. Like Dodge Man said, do a search and you'll find one or two threads on how to make the change. Wasn't that hard and well worth it to avoid what you just went through.

Wish I knew how to fabricate! That would be a no brainer!

/ Was moving snow banks and then... #24  
I couldn't believe how easy it was to change the filter on my B26. It has a built in valve in the filter housing so when you remove the bowl and filter the fuel stops flowing. Hardest part (other than paying $17 for the filter) was removing the filter from the bowl. I had to use some needle nose pliers to pull it out, then snap in the new one, screw it back on the housing. While screwing on the bowl/filter, it filled up with a little overflow but no bleeding or otherwise needed. A 10 minute job at most with 9 minutes of it being done inside my shop figuring out how to get the old filter out.

/ Was moving snow banks and then... #25  
As a Cummins owner I can't figure out the barely acceptable filter system onmy BX diesel--no water separator = potential injector failure, does it not?
Common rail system, water in the system through an injector. The water vapor is pressurized and heated, becomes steam through the injector I would think.

At 100 hrs my filters were pretty dirty.

The BX is not a common rail engine, its more like the early version of the Cummins 12 valve. It has lower pressures in the injections system and its also not direct injection.

To the OP, as far as adding a different filter, I cant fabricate either very well but got it done. I used what is flat metal that has holes drilled in it about every inch or so. You can by the stuff at most hardware stores. I mounted it in about the same place as the pics someone posted. If I had a welder and could weld it would have been much easier. My problem is I mounted it in about 3 different places before I got it where the front wheel wouldn't hit it.

Attachments

• IMG_20140503_111404_030.jpg
    IMG_20140503_111404_030.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 152
   / Was moving snow banks and then... #26  
Little wiser and a happy ending- can't ask for more than that....except doing it without the pressure of needing it done!
Nice job figuring it all out and getting it done on a cold day!

Little wiser and a happy ending- can't ask for more than that....except doing it without the pressure of needing it done!
Nice job figuring it all out and getting it done on a cold day!

Thanks!

BTW I went on Amazon today and ordered a set of hose clamp pliers and a set of pinch off pliers for the fuel lines. :D