Snowmagedon 2015 in Nova Scotia

/ Snowmagedon 2015 in Nova Scotia #11  
20150221_120622_resized.jpg

Yep here on the Canadian East Coast we have had lots of snow.

Over 16 feet before the last couple storms. A new record and winter is not over.

Al

/ Snowmagedon 2015 in Nova Scotia #12  
By the looks it well take long time for the fields to dry before working...may the jet stream go north for you folks.

/ Snowmagedon 2015 in Nova Scotia #13  
Amazing story and incredible life you live dealing with all that snow. When we get a couple inches, everything shuts down. Schools close, people are encouraged to stay home and wait it out. Is this a record year or does this happen every year?

Eddie

/ Snowmagedon 2015 in Nova Scotia #14  
Amazing story and incredible life you live dealing with all that snow. When we get a couple inches, everything shuts down. Schools close, people are encouraged to stay home and wait it out. Is this a record year or does this happen every year?

Eddie

On the really good years (no snow) we get a 3-6 feet on the more average years we get 12 + feet. Last year the snow started in late November and we had 451cm (15 feet). So far this year we are over 460 cm and counting ( another 15cm tonight).
This winter we had no snow at the end of Jan but when it started it was 2 to 3 storms a week, one storm was 88 cm (3 feet) with high winds that packed it like concrete. No problem to walk on it but a bugger to move it.
When the road cuttings are 12-14 feet high it takes very little wind t fill them in. Many roads are one lane in sections that the snow gathers.20150319_133917_resized_1.jpg

I have a above ground pool and deck somewhere here. I don't think I will have to top it off this year. LOL

FYI 2.5 cm is 1"
Al
Some roads are not open for a couple days.

/ Snowmagedon 2015 in Nova Scotia #15  
Yep,here in Truro area,lots of snow.Going to get tractor in this PM to move snow back because of rain coming.Fun times in the Maritimes.

/ Snowmagedon 2015 in Nova Scotia #16  
Yep,here in Truro area,lots of snow.Going to get tractor in this PM to move snow back because of rain coming.Fun times in the Maritimes.

Here is a youtube from a 40 cm snowfall with high winds for those just getting 1-2 inch dusting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK7HkjdE_Gg Hope it works.

With a hard winter one gets to know who your friends are real fast.

Al

/ Snowmagedon 2015 in Nova Scotia #17  
Man if I lived in the area I'd consider the most serious front end, cabbed tractor mounted snow blower I could afford. Plows and front end loaders (unless there on a Euclid or a Cat 995) just seem not to cut it here.

/ Snowmagedon 2015 in Nova Scotia #18  
Good thing the streets are not lined with parked cars ,sidewalks and buildings.

/ Snowmagedon 2015 in Nova Scotia #19  
Man if I lived in the area I'd consider the most serious front end, cabbed tractor mounted snow blower I could afford. Plows and front end loaders (unless there on a Euclid or a Cat 995) just seem not to cut it here.

The province (P.E.I. just north of N.S.)has been throwing everything big or small they have into service and somethings they borrowed just to keep up to "old man winter" this year.
I am thinking we could hit 20 feet before it is all over.

Al

/ Snowmagedon 2015 in Nova Scotia #20  
I had one drift that was 9 feet at the peak.

Used the roll bar as a drift cutter more than once this winter.

The snow blower has paid for itself several times this winter. I had just had to rely on front end loader I'd have to truck snow away (but where.....)

The road crews are running payloaders with V-plows. Normal tandem axle salt truck can't open the roads. Lots of 6x6 plow trucks and graders with V plows as well.

Many country roads were one lane for a few days and some still are.