3-point log lift & skidder on small tractor

/ 3-point log lift & skidder on small tractor #21  
S219 thats a beefy unit. I should have welded my receiver on the bottom like yours then it wouldn't need the gussets (on my little b2710). But I had some kind of a wild hair. But those fellas sure gusseted yours!

I wonder how much lift capacity the burliest CAT1 can produce.

I've not done a survey, but the 1200 kg three point capacity of the Hurlimann 435 is right up there in the "compact and orchard" tractor catagory. ;-)

Sounds like a challenge!

/ 3-point log lift & skidder on small tractor #22  
winch for 5300 001.jpgJust another example.

/ 3-point log lift & skidder on small tractor
the 1200 kg three point capacity of the Hurlimann 435 is right up there in the "compact and orchard" tractor catagory.

If 2640 lbs lift is a big number for a CAT1 3-pt then just wondering why a unit like S219's would need to be so beefy that's only 1-1/3 ton. My tractor lifts 1665 lbs (3/4 ton). These are not big numbers.

/ 3-point log lift & skidder on small tractor #24  

I'd love to see more of your winch if you have any pictures.

This is what I came up with for skidding "quick and dirty" - it works well though.

The top is 3x3x3/8" angle welded across some 2" channel and a hunk of 2x3" tubing up the middle. The bottom is a 2x4x3/16" jeep bumper I built about 10 years ago and never sold, so that served as the foundation for the implement.

SAM_0041.jpg

/ 3-point log lift & skidder on small tractor #25  
S219 thats a beefy unit. I should have welded my receiver on the bottom like yours then it wouldn't need the gussets (on my little b2710). But I had some kind of a wild hair. But those fellas sure gusseted yours!

I wonder how much lift capacity the burliest CAT1 can produce.

I think it probably looks extra beefy on my old B2920 in that picture just because the tractor is small. Looks a whole lot more natural on my larger L3200. When I was shopping for these, I remember liking that particular design because it had some protection for the tractor from the diagonal tube sections, which also give very good gusseting.

Having the receiver on the bottom does make that stick down, which could potentially grab on something, but it hasn't been a problem in my use. However, now that I finally have a welder, I plan to weld up a "skid plate" that will slide in the receiver and provide an angled flat plate below the unit, like a proper skidding plate or logging winch would have. That will give extra protection from logs that hang low when skidding, and keep the receiver out of the dirt. I figure I will make the plate about 6-8" high, give it an angled lip on the bottom edge, and then weld a 2" tube coming out the back to slide into the receiver and pin on.

/ 3-point log lift & skidder on small tractor #26  
My attempt at basically the same thing:
Image.jpgImage 1.jpg

/ 3-point log lift & skidder on small tractor #27  
I actually like the design of this log tong much better than the old design,

standard.jpg

This design grips much better and I never have to bang the sides in, to get a better grip...

If the log is bigger than 24 or so inches, I can put a small chain under the log and hook the ends to both sides of the tong and drive away... The chain makes the tong grip like crazy on those over size logs...

SR

/ 3-point log lift & skidder on small tractor #28  
I have found that a few things work to make the job easier.
You should be pulling from a beam over the log so you can make your turns without jamming. This is safer with a HST than a clutch....
When you make your 3pth assembly, position the pins so the whole thing can sit on the ground while you hook up your pins to the arms. In Sodo's case I would make a concrete block with a few pieces of 1/2 allthread sticking out of the top to bolt it to the 2x2. (actually cast the concrete in place) This could add ballast and provide a base to set the assembly on when not in use while still keeping the receiver free for trailer balls or winches...

/ 3-point log lift & skidder on small tractor #29  
I have found that a few things work to make the job easier.
You should be pulling from a beam over the log so you can make your turns without jamming. This is safer with a HST than a clutch....
When you make your 3pth assembly, position the pins so the whole thing can sit on the ground while you hook up your pins to the arms. In Sodo's case I would make a concrete block with a few pieces of 1/2 allthread sticking out of the top to bolt it to the 2x2. (actually cast the concrete in place) This could add ballast and provide a base to set the assembly on when not in use while still keeping the receiver free for trailer balls or winches...
It is late at night and I'm well into my wine so forgive me if I can't visualize what you are talking about. please post some pictures that show your set up.

/ 3-point log lift & skidder on small tractor #30  
valdez ak 122.jpg
I'd love to see more of your winch if you have any pictures.

This is what I came up with for skidding "quick and dirty" - it works well though.

The top is 3x3x3/8" angle welded across some 2" channel and a hunk of 2x3" tubing up the middle. The bottom is a 2x4x3/16" jeep bumper I built about 10 years ago and never sold, so that served as the foundation for the implement.

SAM_0041.jpg

Looking for a better pic,