Traction Traction in Mud

/ Traction in Mud
Well, I tried it. Either I get those maple bolts out very soon, or no shiitakes next Spring. So, nybirdman, you're right: made a mess of the trail, but my higher hardwood grove is OK. And yes, next year it'll be on frozen ground.

I ran her out in 1st gear, high range, throttled to PTO level on the tach. She walked right through the worse mud holes without spinning the front tires at all! The engine did change it's tune a little as more horsepower was called for, but it sounded good! Threw 300 lbs of sugar maple bolts into the bucket and headed back. As I approached the mud holes, it dawned on me that I now had more weight up front....and it might bog me down more, plus, should I use the ruts just created or steer for a new 'line'? I hit the mud in a new line, engine working good and hard, walked right through with no spinning. Life is good. I was stepping on differential pedal through the mud, but I sure could not see or feel any difference. This good video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LjOwFvjIDcE

says, I think, the pedal needs to be depressed to engage - it does not 'lock in'. Anyway, I sure could not feel any difference. Second trip: same scenario....except...at second mud hole I decided to put my two right tires up onto a little high spot next to the mud hole. Maybe 18 inches higher, and drier, and heck - at least two of my tires will be on good dry land! This was a mistake, as I'm sure many of you are chuckling about right now. The lower front tires dug WAY down, up to axle, made a huge rut, and I was stuck. I'm sure there is a physics lesson here somewhere involving force and vectors...but meanwhile I could not rock it out front or back. Angry, mad, and embarrassed. Tractor one week old. Removed maple bolts from loader. Then I remembered a tip about FEL....never had one before....so I lifted whole front end up and clear of ruts, stuck 6 or 8 dead logs underneath front tires, she WALKED RIGHT OUT! Washed her off. Not going back. Lesson learned. Will CARRY bolts 150 feet past mud holes tonight. Will send photo to y'all if I can figure how.

/ Traction in Mud #22  
Your learning, that is the important thing:thumbsup:

/ Traction in Mud #23  
I would say never be embarrassed about getting stuck. Look at it as education. You are learning the limits of your tractor. And how are you going to learn that if you don't go there. Same for getting your tractor dirty. If it hasn't got some dirt on it you aren't using it!

If you would get enough use out of it I would be tempted to buy or make a carry all for the three point hitch. Then the weight of the logs would be on the rear tires.

/ Traction in Mud #24  
If you set up your tractor with duals and wider front tires like this you will never get stuck. If you want to know how I attach the duals I can post more pictures.

I also am better at modifying my tractor than making pictures rotate to the proper orientation. I need to learn how to do that but that is a job for another day.
With those turf tires, you could get stuck on a cow patty. You have good flotation almost zero traction in mud even with duals. I have gotten stuck with dual R 1 tires with over a foot of space between the tires to allow mud to shed. When they are set tire to tire like those, the whole thing will smooth over with mud very easily and you wont go anywhere even if you aren't bogging in very deep.
Any one who claims he cant get stuck has not been in the right situation yet.

/ Traction in Mud #25  
Well, I tried it. Either I get those maple bolts out very soon, or no shiitakes next Spring. So, nybirdman, you're right: made a mess of the trail, but my higher hardwood grove is OK. And yes, next year it'll be on frozen ground.

Then I remembered a tip about FEL....never had one before....so I lifted whole front end up and clear of ruts, stuck 6 or 8 dead logs underneath front tires, she WALKED RIGHT OUT! Washed her off. Not going back. Lesson learned. Will CARRY bolts 150 feet past mud holes tonight. Will send photo to y'all if I can figure how.

Glad you were able to get out. But when I have used my loader to get unstuck I get the cutting edge vertical and then spike it into the ground. Then I apply some reverse power as I curl the bucket. It is slow but effective.

Doug in SW IA

/ Traction in Mud
I just have to practice the FEL escape technique....I was too upset to practice ANYTHING last evening.....thought my tractor would spend a couple months in the woods by herself...

/ Traction in Mud #27  

I ran her out in 1st gear, high range, throttled to PTO level on the tach. She walked right through the worse mud holes without spinning the front tires at all! The engine did change it's tune a little as more horsepower was called for, but it sounded good! Threw 300 lbs of sugar maple bolts into the bucket and headed back. As I approached the mud holes, it dawned on me that I now had more weight up front....and it might bog me down more, plus, should I use the ruts just created or steer for a new 'line'? I hit the mud in a new line, engine working good and hard, walked right through with no spinning. Life is good. I was stepping on differential pedal through the mud, but I sure could not see or feel any difference. This good video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LjOwFvjIDcE

says, I think, the pedal needs to be depressed to engage - it does not 'lock in'. Anyway, I sure could not feel any difference. Second trip: same scenario....except...at second mud hole I decided to put my two right tires up onto a little high spot next to the mud hole. Maybe 18 inches higher, and drier, and heck - at least two of my tires will be on good dry land! This was a mistake, as I'm sure many of you are chuckling about right now. The lower front tires dug WAY down, up to axle, made a huge rut, and I was stuck. I'm sure there is a physics lesson here somewhere involving force and vectors...but meanwhile I could not rock it out front or back. Angry, mad, and embarrassed. Tractor one week old. Removed maple bolts from loader. Then I remembered a tip about FEL....never had one before....so I lifted whole front end up and clear of ruts, stuck 6 or 8 dead logs underneath front tires, she WALKED RIGHT OUT! Washed her off. Not going back. Lesson learned. Will CARRY bolts 150 feet past mud holes tonight. Will send photo to y'all if I can figure how.
This works to upload pictures from a computer, don't know about smart phones: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/photos/107314-photo-posting-how-3.html?highlight=#post3967120

I am enjoying your thread, brings back memories of when I got my first tractor.

One of the things I was best at was getting stuck! :D

/ Traction in Mud #28  
With those turf tires, you could get stuck on a cow patty. You have good flotation almost zero traction in mud even with duals. I have gotten stuck with dual R 1 tires with over a foot of space between the tires to allow mud to shed. When they are set tire to tire like those, the whole thing will smooth over with mud very easily and you wont go anywhere even if you aren't bogging in very deep.
Any one who claims he cant get stuck has not been in the right situation yet.

Well what you say may very well be true for your soils but I have no problems with traction or flotation. Here the mud is sticky enough that even without the duals there is plenty of traction.

I have rototilled bare mud just to try and help a customer dry out the soil so they could move it around with a blade. I have also rototilled sod to make enough loose soil to repair irrigation ditches. There was water running over the sod that I rototilled. With the duals on I haven't been stuck but then maybe I haven't tried hard enough to get stuck either.

When I clean manure out of corrals is where I run a bit short of traction but as you remove the manure from the corral it drys out just enough to not be a problem. At least with the lawn and garden tread it doesn't chew up the soil and I don't need to be so careful with the corral walls. I need to take some pictures of these situations!

/ Traction in Mud #29  
Depending on where in Oswego, NY cmcramer is, he might be in glacial lake bottom.

Which means that mud could be anywhere from an inch to a hundred feet deep.

Glad the FEL trick worked for you.

You don't really need full-sized logs for the corduroy section. I've done just fine with brush and branches; you just need quite a few to make a good matting to drive on. Consider it an organic version of the steel matting they used for quick runways on soft ground for aircraft back in WWII. (Actually, they were still using steel matting for Rapid Runway Repair back in the 1990s, don't know what they're using today.) Go Pink Ponies!

/ Traction in Mud
Here's two pics of the mud holes.

mud2.jpgmud1.jpg