Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #31  
I'm not so sure about that. The tractor with loader I linked to above is 8,900. You can buy a used 72" Jd shredder for 1,500 and a new (off craigs list) JD grapple/ root rake for 1800 to 2000 and a back blade for 1000 for a total of $13,200 to $13,400 which is inside his budget. I don't know about that particular tractor but there are others in that price range so as long as the OP picks a sound machine he is in business.

Agree totally. That is about the smallest tractor to go with for him but it can be done with that budget.

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #32  
I'm not so sure about that. The tractor with loader I linked to above is 8,900. You can buy a used 72" Jd shredder for 1,500 and a new (off craigs list) JD grapple/ root rake for 1800 to 2000 and a back blade for 1000 for a total of $13,200 to $13,400 which is inside his budget. I don't know about that particular tractor but there are others in that price range so as long as the OP picks a sound machine he is in business.

There's a chance that old John Deere 2020 could be a good buy and trouble free. There's an equal or better chance that it will require some TLC to keep it running, especially being a gas engine. An old, tired $8,900 tractor could turn into a $12,000 tractor before you know it if repairs are needed.

Also, a 6 foot mower will take a LONG time to mow 35 acres. Since this appears to be a weekend place for the OP, he will either not get it all mowed or he will spend all weekend every weekend mowing. I suspect the main purpose of buying the place was to enjoy it, not create a second full-time job for himself. For 35 acres, I'd want at least an 8 foot mower and would strongly prefer a 12 or 15 foot batwing, but one of those is probably half of his budget by itself.

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #33  
Are you kidding - seat time is good time!

Although I am not sure why he wants to shred it. Personally I would just use a cheap sickle bar and lay it down and let nature take its course. A sickle bar is a lot cheaper machine and I have cut more than 35 acres in day many times with a 9 ft. All depends on what he wants - a bushhog, flail or drum type mower cold cut just as fast or faster than sickle bar so 35 acres is one day job if it is 8'.

BTW - I wouldn't recommend a drum because it tends to leave the output in a row.

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #34  
Woods has a 12' batwing rated up to 1 1/2" that is said to require a min 35 pto hp. I'd like to hear from someone running one...

Spending all day on an open station in 102 degree heat gets old... Been there, done that.... Got a cab...

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #35  
Howdy, I lived in Cedar Park for 10 years. I live and keep 25 acres fairly manicured. We have a JD 4310 25pto HP and a JD 5420 65pto hp. Both with loaders.

Nice looking place you have there. We spell it mott here in Texas, and we call ponds tanks. :)

Its hard to recommend anything smaller than a 45 hp tractor with a 6' shredder. I use the 4310 for mowing in between our post oaks and the 5420 for the more open areas. To mow 35 acres with a 6' cutter, you will need 2 long days. Time spent will depend on the grass height and thickness.

If I had to buy from scratch right now, I'd look at a used JD 4720 cab or similar (over 50 pto hp in a medium sized machine). Way too much for what you want to spend, but after 10 years of doing it, you might change your mind about how you want to cut your place. There are times I wish for a 125hp with a batwing shredder but that ain't happening. Be sure to get a hard top canopy with the insulation sheet underneath it. It will save you from heat stroke.

Did the previous owner have a tractor he might would sell? Ask around, check craigslist by searching tractor. Put links on here and you'll get feedback.

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #36  
My suggestion is something in the 40hp range with 4wd and loader. Still will have enough loader to move smaller round bales and as for the mowing 5/6ft shredder with cows running in it will be just touching up few weeds here and there. If you don't mind using chemicals a 3pt or trailer type sprayer will cover some ground over mowing. Having a grapple is nice,I finally got one last year and sure glad I did, wish would have gotten it sooner.

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #37  
My suggestion is something in the 40hp range with 4wd and loader. Still will have enough loader to move smaller round bales and as for the mowing 5/6ft shredder with cows running in it will be just touching up few weeds here and there. If you don't mind using chemicals a 3pt or trailer type sprayer will cover some ground over mowing. Having a grapple is nice,I finally got one last year and sure glad I did, wish would have gotten it sooner.

Couple I came across

2004 KUBOTA L3400DT
2000 JOHN DEERE 990

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #38  
I did a search for 40 -90 hp tractors in Texas. Then I sorted out just the ones with loaders and threw out anything that had a clunk etc. in it. I came up with eighteen candidates and only two of those were 4WD so apparently 2WD and loaders have been compatible right along. the two 4wds are here.
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9272579
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7624883
Of the 2WD options this one stands out as a possibility.
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8798953

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #39  
I did the same search on TractorHouse. There are a couple Ford 4000s with loaders and a JD 2630 with a JD148 loader that I would not be scared of either. All are 2wd and well under $10k. Those models have done very well over the years. Assuming they are in as good of condition as they look like they will last you for many years - maybe forever. The JD loader I have used and it is a very nice loader and definitely tough - we had it one a JD 4230 and then switched it to a JD 4450. We were not nice to it and it took it.

I have a dairy farmer neighbor that has Ford tractors and he has one that he said the only reason he bought it was because another neighbor wanted to sell it because it did not have FWA. The other neighbor thought he had to have FWA even though he had worked for years without it before it was common. For most tasks you do not need it with a bigger tractor but it is certainly nice to have. the thing is that once you put your loader down with down pressure your front wheels are useless anyway, i.e. grubbing trees. For mud it is real helpful but otherwise it probably is not going to get used much.

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #40  
I did the same search on TractorHouse. There are a couple Ford 4000s with loaders and a JD 2630 with a JD148 loader that I would not be scared of either. All are 2wd and well under $10k. Those models have done very well over the years. Assuming they are in as good of condition as they look like they will last you for many years - maybe forever. The JD loader I have used and it is a very nice loader and definitely tough - we had it one a JD 4230 and then switched it to a JD 4450. We were not nice to it and it took it.

I have a dairy farmer neighbor that has Ford tractors and he has one that he said the only reason he bought it was because another neighbor wanted to sell it because it did not have FWA. The other neighbor thought he had to have FWA even though he had worked for years without it before it was common. For most tasks you do not need it with a bigger tractor but it is certainly nice to have. the thing is that once you put your loader down with down pressure your front wheels are useless anyway, i.e. grubbing trees. For mud it is real helpful but otherwise it probably is not going to get used much.

One of those Ford 4000 units was built in 1975 and had 2260 hours on it and the other was built in1962 and had 1879 hours on it I thought there was something fishy about those hour claims and even if true they were asking a lot for 40 plus year old iron. The JD 2630 at 5481 hours sounded more plausible but they weren't giving it away either. There is a place where some dickering needs to be done and with a sharp eye when you inspect them.