Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas
Guys, I really appreciate all of the reply's. I was offline all weekend at the property so just now reading through them. I obviously have a lot to consider before plunking down my hard earned cash.

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #42  
Guys, I really appreciate all of the reply's. I was offline all weekend at the property so just now reading through them. I obviously have a lot to consider before plunking down my hard earned cash.
Your welcome. There is nothing like helping another tractor man spend his money to keep us amused. I hope some of it proves to be helpful and that you had a productive weekend.

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #43  
If you can get into a slightly larger Utility machine, you'll probably be happier in the long run. Looking at those pictures (nice land BTW), I wouldn't be afraid of a solid, larger 2wd Utility machine for it. The one thing to consider there is that 2wd machines aren't quite as handy for FEL work, but they will get it done if you use your head, and keep some rear ballast on them to plant the rear tires.

You might consider flail mower rather than a shredder because they take less power to run per foot of width, so even if you stick with a smaller tractor, you could jump up to a 7-8' model and save a lot of time. I'm looking at a new Phoenix TE 87" cut, and they say it'll run on 30hp PTO with no problem. The problem with rotary cutters larger than 6' is that they get to be long, and cumbersome (even the 6 footers can be a bit cumbersome), and so heavy they're harder to hook up, etc.

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #44  
Woods has a 12' batwing rated up to 1 1/2" that is said to require a min 35 pto hp. I'd like to hear from someone running one...

Spending all day on an open station in 102 degree heat gets old... Been there, done that.... Got a cab...

C4--It's not too bad if you have an ice chest with bottled water to get you through the day(and a shade tree) and some COLD adult beverages when the job is done. A hot Texas summer will make you appreciate iced-down beer.

Charlie

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #45  
I would recommend a 50 to 90 hp tractor that you can find the best deal on, consider all brands. I mention the higher hp models only because some of these may not cost you more than the smaller tractors that sell for a premium. There are plenty of older tractors that would work for you and I would try to find something with implements in a package deal from a private seller. Recognize that these older tractors are usually 2 wd and are harder to sell than the newer 4x4 models, consequently if you decide to upgrade later you will take a hit also. Keep that in mind when you make offers with your hard earned cash.

I would also recommend you consider a new tractor properly sized for your needs with the basic attachments you want. Long term this may be the best way to go. A 65 hp utility tractor would seem to be a good fit for your needs.

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #46  
I'd split this into two tractors, a smaller CUT for close-to-the-house work and as Creamer said, a LARGER 50+ HP 6,000+ lb tractor with FEL and an 8' batwing for everything else. You should be able to have both and the large with heat and air, for your budget.

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #47  
I'd split this into two tractors, a smaller CUT for close-to-the-house work and as Creamer said, a LARGER 50+ HP 6,000+ lb tractor with FEL and an 8' batwing for everything else. You should be able to have both and the large with heat and air, for your budget.

A CUT and a 50+ HP tractor with FEL, batwing mower, cab and a/c for $15,000??!!??!! I need to find out where you buy your tractors.

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #48  
A CUT and a 50+ HP tractor with FEL, batwing mower, cab and a/c for $15,000??!!??!! I need to find out where you buy your tractors.

I was thinking same just on the cab tractor with loader for under 15,that isn't in to bad of shape. I paid 11,800 just for my 15ft batwing, used can find them cheaper but they have been used pretty good,a decent shape one maybe around 4/5,000.

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #49  
Tractor House has a JD 2355 150 miles from Austin. Low hours, 67 hp, FEL, $14k. I need something bigger our I'd be driving to look at it right now.

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #50  
OP UPDATES??

Inquiring minds like to know- were you able to find a tractor that met your needs for a price you could live with??