Stihl 029 Super Chain oil Pump Replacement

/ Stihl 029 Super Chain oil Pump Replacement #1  

Barneyhunts

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240 Kubota B7800, Kubota BX2200
I may have to replace the chain oil pump on my Stihl 029 saw. Does anyone know if it can be removed without removing the crankshaft? I wanted to look at it but couldn't figure out how to remove it due to the discharge line? I had to replace the pickup line & had the clutch off and removed the bolts which hold the pump but couldn't move the pump enough to clear the discharge line. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Barney

/ Stihl 029 Super Chain oil Pump Replacement #2  
Can't help you with Stihl brand but I changed the pump on my Husky. I had to remove the clutch, that can be difficult without the proper tools. But I didn't need to remove the crank. I would suspect that Stihl does it the same way. To remove the clutch you need a way of keeping the crank from turning. They make a tool you can screw into the spark plug hole that keeps the piston from moving and in turn holds the crank from turning or you can remove the plug and put clean rope though the hole to do the same thing. Then you'll need a tool to fit the nut on the clutch. Other than those two things it was an easy job.

/ Stihl 029 Super Chain oil Pump Replacement
Can't help you with Stihl brand but I changed the pump on my Husky. I had to remove the clutch, that can be difficult without the proper tools. But I didn't need to remove the crank. I would suspect that Stihl does it the same way. To remove the clutch you need a way of keeping the crank from turning. They make a tool you can screw into the spark plug hole that keeps the piston from moving and in turn holds the crank from turning or you can remove the plug and put clean rope though the hole to do the same thing. Then you'll need a tool to fit the nut on the clutch. Other than those two things it was an easy job.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Barney

/ Stihl 029 Super Chain oil Pump Replacement #6  
Remove bar and chain, get a19mm socket and an impact gun set it to tighten (left hand threads) leave spark plug in. remove clutch (DON'T set the gun to tighten lug nuts) usually a couple of short blips will get it loose. A couple of T-27 bolts hold the pump on. All of that said I would get a wire and fish out the filter and replace it first. Then drain the oil and put some diesel or kero in the tank and see if that won't fix it.

/ Stihl 029 Super Chain oil Pump Replacement #7  
I may have to replace the chain oil pump on my Stihl 029 saw. Does anyone know if
it can be removed without removing the crankshaft?

I have had the 029 and the later version, MS290. I have had the pumps out of both, and
you definitely do NOT have to remove the crankshaft.

You have done the hard part (clutch removal) already.

The plastic discharge hose pivots away. I wish I had some pix. Pull upward on the pump.

/ Stihl 029 Super Chain oil Pump Replacement
I have had the 029 and the later version, MS290. I have had the pumps out of both, and
you definitely do NOT have to remove the crankshaft.

You have done the hard part (clutch removal) already.

The plastic discharge hose pivots away. I wish I had some pix. Pull upward on the pump.

Thanks for your reply. I'm running the saw and checking the bar and chain. If I still have a problem I'll change the pump.
Barney