Sweet Corn

/ Sweet Corn #1  

s219

Tractor
Kubota L3200, Deere X380, Kubota RTV-X
Anybody have some yet? We picked 3 dozen Tuesday at a local farm, and I am loving it. Had 4 ears for dinner last night, and 5 ears tonight. Got to be one of my most favorite foods. This stuff is so nice, I just boil it for 3 minutes, pretty much just to get some heat to melt butter.

Corn picking is overlapping with blueberry picking this year, so we had some homemade blueberry ice cream after picking corn. Will be going to pick blueberries and peaches tomorrow. I feel lucky we have so many nice small pick-your-own farms nearby. Prices are a bargain and the people are great.

IMG_5643.jpg IMG_5660.jpg

/ Sweet Corn #2  
For me, it's not officially Summer until I can bring a bag of sweet corn home from the stand, down the street.
From the look of his field, we have to wait a wee bit longer.
We have to get the tobacco netting up over the blueberries, this weekend, or the birds will start cleaning us out.
Our berries are just starting to get some color and that hasn't gone unnoticed.

/ Sweet Corn #3  
We have to get the tobacco netting up over the blueberries, this weekend, or the birds will start cleaning us out.
Our berries are just starting to get some color and that hasn't gone unnoticed.
Sorry for the thread diversion, blueberries being mentioned..... Where do you get the tobacco netting? I did find something called Reemay, is it the same. Been using black bird netting over the berries, but don't particularly like it.

/ Sweet Corn #4  
Anybody have some yet? We picked 3 dozen Tuesday at a local farm, and I am loving it. Had 4 ears for dinner last night, and 5 ears tonight. Got to be one of my most favorite foods. This stuff is so nice, I just boil it for 3 minutes, pretty much just to get some heat to melt butter.

Corn picking is overlapping with blueberry picking this year, so we had some homemade blueberry ice cream after picking corn. Will be going to pick blueberries and peaches tomorrow. I feel lucky we have so many nice small pick-your-own farms nearby. Prices are a bargain and the people are great.

View attachment 431565 View attachment 431566

Don't spread this around, but Sharn Jean and I stood in line Tuesday morning for four hours to get some right out of the field. I can think of very few things I would stand in line that long for. In any case, we ended up with three bushels. Took them home, shucked, blanched and froze them; yesterday I spent half a day with the Food Saver vacuum packing them. Had some for dinner night before last, and they were great. Almost worth the wait.
They will be great this Winter, but the Grand kids go through them pretty quickly. Last year couldn't find any locally, so we survived two years by rationing and had one package of 6 ears left. We filled one whole shelf of the freezer this time.

BTW, she is a little cutie!

/ Sweet Corn #5  
Our local Walmart has had some pretty good corn lately; 12 cents an ear.:laughing: But I don't know where it came from.

/ Sweet Corn #6  
Sorry for the thread diversion, blueberries being mentioned..... Where do you get the tobacco netting? I did find something called Reemay, is it the same. Been using black bird netting over the berries, but don't particularly like it.

No idea where you can get new netting. The Plant Manager was talking with a woman at our ag extension, who mentioned that on her way to work she saw that a neighboring tobacco farmer had left a pile of used netting at the end of his driveway with a cardboard "FREE" sign. The Plant Manager made a bee-line there and stuffed her Ford Focus full of the stuff.

/ Sweet Corn #7  
I will plant some sweet corn in august and water it if needed. More than likely I will get a harvest before frost. I don't like to plant it early because it will cross with my red ear indian field corn. We will eat some of the field corn for roasting ears. the late sweet corn will be put in the freezer.

/ Sweet Corn #8  
i picked up some corn at a local farm producer's place yesterday but it was
from maryland! (he trucked some in for farmers market)
but it was very good, rivaled our best places around here, 3$ for 6
but i bet we are 2-3 weeks out here still... been raining for 3 weeks straight
it seems like!
9 inches in June... ugh

/ Sweet Corn #9  
A buddy of mine plants 80 acres of sweet corn every year. He sells it on wagons all around the area. I talked to him the other day and he said it would be ready for Friday. Just in time for the 4th. I'll be paying him a visit soon. Good buddy ol pal!!!

/ Sweet Corn #10  
I had trouble with my corn germinating near Charlottesville this year until about mid May. In past years, I could start mid April. So, mine is later, but I've planted successive little 22" diameter patches of it since then, in stages.

Got 4 tomatoes before July 1st. Put 1 tsp of epson salts and 1 tsp of Soil Moist in each hole. Stripped all leaves but top ones and buried the plant except for the top leaves.

Ralph