Sweet Corn

/ Sweet Corn #11  
There was a time when the freshest corn was picked after you put the water on to boil. I would never even consider buying it in the grocery store. With hybrids, it doesn't get starchy and stays sweet after it's picked. I just picked up a few ears at the local supermarket to cook on the grill tonight, although nobody around here will be picking for at least another month.

/ Sweet Corn #12  
In 1993 we were staying at a very small RV park on the highway just south of Sayre, PA and there was a big field of sweet corn just north of where we were staying. They were very disappointed because they didn't have fresh corn for July 4 because they were late planting due to Spring flooding in the area. But we certainly got some good corn from their roadside stand about July 22.

/ Sweet Corn #13  
I had trouble with my corn germinating near Charlottesville this year until about mid May. In past years, I could start mid April. So, mine is later, but I've planted successive little 22" diameter patches of it since then, in stages.

Got 4 tomatoes before July 1st. Put 1 tsp of epson salts and 1 tsp of Soil Moist in each hole. Stripped all leaves but top ones and buried the plant except for the top leaves.

Ralph

Been getting tomatoes for about a week now. I thoroughly mix a cup of blood meal and a cup of bone meal in the bottom of each hole before the tomato and plant goes in. I also put each tomato plant in a basket made of hardware cloth and it keeps the gophers away; not so the peppers, they don't seem to bother them as much. I used to save egg shells and banana peels in the freezer and put them in the holes also, but that got to be too much of a pain. Looking for some great 'maters this year.

/ Sweet Corn #14  
We have been busy with some other projects, just planted today.:) So for my family corn is a long ways out.:(
0703150847-00.jpg

/ Sweet Corn #16  
Been getting tomatoes for about a week now. I thoroughly mix a cup of blood meal and a cup of bone meal in the bottom of each hole before the tomato and plant goes in. I also put each tomato plant in a basket made of hardware cloth and it keeps the gophers away; not so the peppers, they don't seem to bother them as much. I used to save egg shells and banana peels in the freezer and put them in the holes also, but that got to be too much of a pain. Looking for some great 'maters this year.
I have problems with moles. I use compost and have plenty of organic material in my soil that = more worms to attract moles. and I have to do the same as you. I dig a hole with the post hole diggers. and make a liner-cage out of hardware cloth. then I put in the plant & soil. I also add a short length of pcv pipe with holes drilled in the sides near the bottom. that allows easy watering.those eggs shells add lime and help preven blossom end rot on the tomatoes. I use old rear tractor rims for raised beds. and have to put hardware cloth on the ground to keep out the moles. I just bought a old backhoe. This fall im going to dig a excavation two feet deep and 100 by 100. line the whole thing with old tin roofing and refill it with good soil & compost. that way the earthworms and plants will be safe from moles.

/ Sweet Corn #17  
I have problems with moles. I use compost and have plenty of organic material in my soil that = more worms to attract moles. and I have to do the same as you. I dig a hole with the post hole diggers. and make a liner-cage out of hardware cloth. then I put in the plant & soil. I also add a short length of pcv pipe with holes drilled in the sides near the bottom. that allows easy watering.those eggs shells add lime and help preven blossom end rot on the tomatoes. I use old rear tractor rims for raised beds. and have to put hardware cloth on the ground to keep out the moles. I just bought a old backhoe. This fall im going to dig a excavation two feet deep and 100 by 100. line the whole thing with old tin roofing and refill it with good soil & compost. that way the earthworms and plants will be safe from moles.

Went out this morning and one of my tomato cages was laying down. I just figured the big storm last night blew it over, although it had fallen opposite the prevailing winds. I was examining it, and noticed that all of the leaves on that tomato plant had been eaten away at the top, as had the leaves on my squash. Looked like they had been cut away with a weed eater. I put the tomato cage back up, and noticed the deer scat near the tomatoes and it finally dawned on me; the deer had been grazing on my tomatoes and squash...first time I have noticed any thing like this in the 40 years I have been raising tomatoes. I've had problems with squirrels, turtles, and other unknown varmints, but this is the first time I have seen a deer nibble on a tomato. Plenty of lush vegetation this year, but LOTS of deer. I just hope they leave them alone from now on.

/ Sweet Corn #18  
Went out this morning and one of my tomato cages was laying down. I just figured the big storm last night blew it over, although it had fallen opposite the prevailing winds. I was examining it, and noticed that all of the leaves on that tomato plant had been eaten away at the top, as had the leaves on my squash. Looked like they had been cut away with a weed eater. I put the tomato cage back up, and noticed the deer scat near the tomatoes and it finally dawned on me; the deer had been grazing on my tomatoes and squash...first time I have noticed any thing like this in the 40 years I have been raising tomatoes. I've had problems with squirrels, turtles, and other unknown varmints, but this is the first time I have seen a deer nibble on a tomato. Plenty of lush vegetation this year, but LOTS of deer. I just hope they leave them alone from now on.
Turtles?I have to admit that I've never had THAT particular problem. :laughing: (Although I did have a big snapper lay her eggs next to my beans last year.)
I had the deer get into my tomatoes two years ago... I thought it was odd since they stepped over my beans to get there.

/ Sweet Corn #19  
We been buying & eating some good corn probably out of the Carolina's that has been hit or miss. We been microwaving it in the husk & squeezing it out the top takes the silk with it. tastes absolutely wonderful this way & only about 1.5min per ear in our 1500 watt microwave.

In case you have not heard of this cooking method (it has been around a while) just take a knife & cut into the husk at base where cob ends & kernels start (ALL WAY AROUND thru the kernels to the cob) and then 5 or 6 splits lengthwise about 1" from the base across the around cut. leave all the husk & silk on and toss into microwave. Best taken out of fridge and chucked into the MW if the ears are warm then less cooking time. Also can soak them in some salt water first but not required for different tastes...

M

/ Sweet Corn #20  
Does any remember when corn had to picked local and pretty much the same day to be good...before it quickly turned to starch. The developments of an extreme high sugar content varieties has changed the sweet industry immensely and allowed corn to be shipped for hundreds of miles and sold for days! ;)

Even here in Vermont the grocery store has a huge display of shrink wrapped packaged corn today.

And of course the ends were all cut off too! :rolleyes:

Like with yellow summer squash an old marketing trick is to cut the stems back to make it look fresher. :laughing: