Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,662  
No sorry, I meant to hit reply with quote- I was replying to the cement mixer questions.

Resolved the crappy wheels issue with wheels salvaged from a tow type fertilizer spreader that frame had rusted out on.

image-3642547328.jpg

image-3973114760.jpg

Plan to do a thread on how I did this when I have time.

I'm in the process of designing a pin on trailer hitch so I can move it around the ranch (empty of course) behind our Polaris Ranger. Trying to find a sheet metal shop that can bend some 10 or 12 gauge channel for me. Local shops are limited to about 18 gauge.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,663  
Note on things with tires, especially tires that hold, or are supposed to hold air. Forget about it because my experience is they will likely soon be rubber rotted and flat. Best thing to do is to figure out a replacement tire option as soon as you buy the item. I have had good luck substituting solid rubber tires that sell for around $8 each when on sale and with a 20% off coupon. Those are actually great tires and should be the OEM choice.

Just my personal opinion here.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,664  
I'm in the process of designing a pin on trailer hitch so I can move it around the ranch (empty of course) behind our Polaris Ranger. Trying to find a sheet metal shop that can bend some 10 or 12 gauge channel for me. Local shops are limited to about 18 gauge.

Here is a pic of my drop down pin hitch that I pull a lawn trailer with. It is on the back of a 48v club car golf cart. It has held up well pulling a trailer full of sand or firewood.

Attachments

• pin hitch.jpg
    pin hitch.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 195
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,665  
Note on things with tires, especially tires that hold, or are supposed to hold air. Forget about it because my experience is they will likely soon be rubber rotted and flat. Best thing to do is to figure out a replacement tire option as soon as you buy the item. I have had good luck substituting solid rubber tires that sell for around $8 each when on sale and with a 20% off coupon. Those are actually great tires and should be the OEM choice.

I agree, and have been using "flat-free" tires for replacements, but haven't noticed any that cheep. Can you share the part number?

Also, for larger (riding mower, etc.) pneumatics, I add a tube and green Slime. This HF tire changer makes the job easier. Not easy, just easier.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,666  
Here is a pic of my drop down pin hitch that I pull a lawn trailer with. It is on the back of a 48v club car golf cart. It has held up well pulling a trailer full of sand or firewood.

Should have more clear in that I am designing a pin on "tongue" for the cement mixer so, I can tow behind the Polaris Ranger.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,667  

I'm not trying to be rude but i use 2 8in air tires on my 2wheel dolly cart for construction. Those tires work great. I have loaded my cart up to 500lb and maybe more a few times and the rims where they are welded are crooked somewhat now that all that has happened and maybe aired them up once

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,668  
I agree, and have been using "flat-free" tires for replacements, but haven't noticed any that cheep. Can you share the part number?

Also, for larger (riding mower, etc.) pneumatics, I add a tube and green Slime. This HF tire changer makes the job easier. Not easy, just easier.

Adding a better quality tube will absolutely help. For cart type things, here is the 10" rubber tire that works for me. It's on "sale" now for $6.99 and with a coupon it's 20% lower.
10" x 2-1/2" Solid Rubber Tire

The 8" same version is presently $6.99.

For bigger tires, changing the tube--or at least be prepared to--would be my plan.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,669  
I'm not trying to be rude but i use 2 8in air tires on my 2wheel dolly cart for construction. Those tires work great. I have loaded my cart up to 500lb and maybe more a few times and the rims where they are welded are crooked somewhat now that all that has happened and maybe aired them up once

That's OK and some of us will always have a different experience than someone else. It seems to be the hit or miss nature of stuff from China.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,670  

I bought a used Craftsman lawn cart that came with 13" tires and 3/4" bore hubs. The tires were dry rotting, and the plastic hubs were poor quality and difficult to retube. Replacement wheel/tire assemblies with 3/4" bores would have cost more than I spent on the cart. I bought a 5/8" steel rod and a couple of bushings from Tractor Supply, and swapped it onto the cart to replace the 3/4" axle. Now I can use the cheap HF 10" pneumatic wheel/tire combo. The diameter is a bit small for the size of the cart, but it rolls well enough. I've had hundreds of pounds of rock in the cart, and the tires continue to hold air after about 4 months. If I have to replace the HF tires for another $10 in a couple of years, that's fine.