Going up and down a hill not riding sideways mowing. Just straight up and down

/ Going up and down a hill not riding sideways mowing. Just straight up and down #1  

tdejong302

Tractor
New Holland tc18
I have a new Holland tc 18. The back of my property has a gradual decline of 100 ft. and then sharp 45 degree drop into a river basin. The basin is dry and I want to clean it up. However I have two concerns. #1. Can my 4 wheel drive tractor with turf tires make it back up a 45 degree incline (20ft. long) and #2 is it safe to do. Its a straight shot. And I will go very very slow. I would like to carry sand/gravel down too so I can improve the waterfrontage. Front of my tractor has a bucket back is a blade. I have a rollbar and seatbelt and will use them. Tractor is light in the front. So should I put some weight in the bucket to help. I have chains for the front tires should I put them. Any suggestions or input is appreciated.

/ Going up and down a hill not riding sideways mowing. Just straight up and down #2  
Cut a road across the hillside.

Bruce

/ Going up and down a hill not riding sideways mowing. Just straight up and down #3  
Here's my thoughts on driving up & down steep inclines, based on my years of experience driving tractors and atv's.

First, do you happen to have an ATV and/or a UTV? If so, have you driven either one down into the river basin? If so, how did that go? If you don't have one, I suggest borrow one or invite a friend over to see if they can drive down it and then back up with no trouble. My point is, if you have trouble driving back up that 45 deg incline slowly with a ATV or UTV, you will almost certainly have trouble on that same incline with the tractor. If the ATV/UTV handles it relatively easy with not much loss of traction, then you *should* be ok to attempt it with the tractor.

If you are planning to drive down the hill with a bucket loaded down with material (gravel, etc), I would probably drive down the steepest part of the hill in reverse. This will put all the weight of the FEL and the bucket full of material at the higher end of the tractor. This should keep the center of gravity somewhere closer to the rear of the tractor, since the bucket with material will weigh more than the rear blade itself will. My thinking here is that if you drove down the hill in normal forward fashion with a bucket loaded with gravel, the CofG will shift to the lower (front) end of the tractor, which may cause the rear end to become lighter, and the rear tires may want to lift up. The rear tires give you the best chance for braking, although in 4x4 mode, the front tires will help with braking. But then, compare their ground contact patch to the size of the rear tires.

Now, whether or not you can get back up is hard to guess with out actually seeing it.... if the traction is good (not a whole lot of loose, sand/dirt or loose rocks, I would think it would make it back up a 45 deg incline in low range going very slow and driving in forward direction like you normally do. The slower you can go while still maintaining traction gives you more time to react, should something go awry. If it were to start losing traction and start sliding, be ready to drop the blade and the bucket quickly, which will hopefully stop it.

A few pictures of the hill from different perspectives would help here a lot. I will say that a 45 deg incline is about as steep as I would ever want to drive up or down on a tractor. It's tricky, but doable, you just have to be extra cautious! If you do attempt it, definitely have someone there to act as a spotter, and take a video of it because I would like to see it. :)

/ Going up and down a hill not riding sideways mowing. Just straight up and down #4  
Make sure you have someone taking video if you decide to try it...

/ Going up and down a hill not riding sideways mowing. Just straight up and down #5  
The fourty five degree slope may be impossible to climb even with chains on. Suggest cutting a new road down that has a more gradual slope. You could start it well back fro the edge of the drop off and push the material ahead for fill. Make it a cut/fill operation. It will require caution so you do not go too far over the end when dumping. Keep the slope your digging at something that allows easy backing up.

When taking a load downhill go bucket first with it on the ground or very near the ground. By tilting the bucket you can control a downward slide or even stop it and still keep the proper direction.

Cutting sideways across the slope is more difficult than a straight on approach but it can be done. The problem occurs when trying to dump on the downhill side. A tracked vehicle would work fine.

/ Going up and down a hill not riding sideways mowing. Just straight up and down #6  
Do you have another vehicle that might be able to help pull you up the hill in case you cant get enough traction to climb. I don't think the incline will cause any dangerous situation if going straight up and down, but be aware of sliding sideways if you start to loose traction which could be very dangerous. If you start to slide sideway, correct it with steering and just ride out the incline without trying to stop even if you get up some speed. Trying to stop if you are going toward side slope could cause a tip over.

/ Going up and down a hill not riding sideways mowing. Just straight up and down #7  
I would be far more worried going down the hill with a bucket if gravel than coming back up. 45 degrees is real steep. Are you sure it isn't a 45 percent grade? I wouldn't attempt a 45 degree grade on a tractor.

/ Going up and down a hill not riding sideways mowing. Just straight up and down #8  
I have a new Holland tc 18. The back of my property has a gradual decline of 100 ft. and then sharp 45 degree drop into a river basin. The basin is dry and I want to clean it up. However I have two concerns. #1. Can my 4 wheel drive tractor with turf tires make it back up a 45 degree incline (20ft. long) and #2 is it safe to do. Its a straight shot. And I will go very very slow. I would like to carry sand/gravel down too so I can improve the waterfrontage. Front of my tractor has a bucket back is a blade. I have a rollbar and seatbelt and will use them. Tractor is light in the front. So should I put some weight in the bucket to help. I have chains for the front tires should I put them. Any suggestions or input is appreciated.
You have an issue. ... The steepest Iv tried is a measured 30 degrees and that was no problem forward with AGs. This was due the bite of the lugs thru the turf to ground. I can climb it on foot with some slips, so bare turfs could make it too.

,,, 15* more is a big deal. If it truly is 45 you need someone standing by with a bigger tractor and long chain while you try it the 1st time. You will definitely need to back down the hill if carrying a bucket load. Alternately you could push the bucket load down.
larry

/ Going up and down a hill not riding sideways mowing. Just straight up and down #9  

Video showing how to make a path straight down. This is extreme and the equipment is large but all the same principles apply. Note the parallel cuts to widen the path.

If you want to carry material down a steep slope talk to an experienced Rock equipment operator. Unlike flat landers they have hill experience. Yes there is a difference.

/ Going up and down a hill not riding sideways mowing. Just straight up and down #10  
that is a big dozer bucket. I'd be afraid the ground under the tracks would start moving like avalanches do.

Tough job.