Adding led lights...relay or not

/ Adding led lights...relay or not #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
   / Adding led lights...relay or not #3  
Not really needed. My 80W LED spot and flood lights only draw 3.69 amps each.

/ Adding led lights...relay or not
These lights not like days of old. They really don't draw many amps.

BUT I don't see in any of the documentation at Amazon exactly what they do draw. No further documentation came with the lights.

/ Adding led lights...relay or not #5  
I run relays for the purpose of having the LED lights shut down with the key (RTV) and headlights/key (tractor). Both are still on toggles.

/ Adding led lights...relay or not
I run relays for the purpose of having the LED lights shut down with the key (RTV) and headlights/key (tractor). Both are still on toggles.

I was going to just tap into power that is behind the key, that way they go off if key is off.

/ Adding led lights...relay or not #7  
I was going to just tap into power that is behind the key, that way they go off if key is off.

That works too if you can determine the load and if the source can handle it. I could never figure either so I went the way I did to be sure.

/ Adding led lights...relay or not #9  
The majority of toggle switches will handle 10 amps at 12 volts DC.
A few major brand names will go 15 amps.
That is for the normal size vs the mini styles.
With most LED systems I would not hesitate to switch direct DC without using any relays.
I even switched dual 3" halogen spots with a standard toggle.

/ Adding led lights...relay or not #10  
If you are going to tap after the key so the lights go off with the key, then I would absolutely use a relay and fuse the circuit. The key switch is not intended to power large auxiliary loads directly.