Walk behind snow blower effort envolved

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved #1  

Ed of all trades

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere X310, JD LA 145
How much work is it to blow snow with a walk behind snow blower? Is it something an old person in fair shape could do? thanks Ed

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved #2  
They can be.

I always went for a tall and narrow with high horsepower. Easier to manoeuvre and they don't bog down. Ground speed made up for lack of width and you can cut banks much easier.

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved #3  
I have 2 walk behinds, an old one (1995 ish) that I stopped using a few winters ago and a newer one (2005 ish) both were used. Both are the same width and only one hp different. The old one doesn't have steering, the new one does. The physical effort is night and day between the two. If you are in good enough shape to walk the area and you have one that has steering and powered wheels then you should be fine. Now if you plan on loading it in and out of a truck every storm that might be a different story. You may want to check how heavy it is when you tip the auger off the ground, depending on what you are clearing that might make a difference to you. I have a handful of single steps I go up and over, that's the only time I have to do more then just follow the blower around.

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved #4  
i have a 10 h.p./ 32" walk behind, along with my tractor and truck. the snow blower easily gets into tight spots, does the sidewalk, and tackles bigger drifts we get. don`t think you`d have much trouble moving it around. recommend electric start and getting those little cabs, they really help keep the blow back and wind off of you.

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved #5  
I would say to get one with electric start, steering brakes (if possible) and a windbreaker/cab.
I have run ones without those features and it can be no fun (especially when its windy and nasty out).

Aaron Z

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved
Was thinking of a BCS with steering brakes but not sure what I am going to do. Am thinking of be coming a city slicker and would need to do something to clear the drive. Thanks for the info. Ed

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved #7  
Some models have the option of having either one or both wheels driven. With both wheels being driven they turn much harder but will provide more tractive force. I really like and use this feature on mine. If it is a tracked model I believe the steering brakes are a must have.

Make sure the handles and controls are at a comfortable height. Some models I have tried the handles were to low so you had to stoop to use them. Makes them very uncomfortable to use.

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved #8  
How much work is it to blow snow with a walk behind snow blower? Is it something an old person in fair shape could do? thanks Ed

Put it this way... regardless of outside temp, when I run my 11HP walk-behind, by the time I'm on my third pass, I'm stripped down naked and STILL sweating my arse off... right until 100 pounds of airborne snow changes direction and hits you square in the face. I HATE running that thing.

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved #9  
We have a cub cadet from tractor supply along with the tractor. Elec start. steering control with right/left finger braking. Runs great and lighter than my old Bolens! My wife (63) uses it a lot while I am on the tractor - clearing walking paths to the barn. Got it at tractor supply. Cub Cadet 2X 524 SWE Snow Blower, CARB Compliant - For Life Out Here

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved #10  
I would say to get one with electric start, steering brakes (if possible) and a windbreaker/cab.
I have run ones without those features and it can be no fun (especially when its windy and nasty out).

Aaron Z
I am an old guy, but I do it much differently!
Park my Ford 1920 FEL in the barn, hook up the Battery Tender Plus in November, and disconnect it in April, when I get back from Florida!
I watch the "windy and nasty" on TV!