Walk behind snow blower effort envolved

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved #11  
If I ever did a snowblower I would go for the bigger ones with 48in, duals, hand warmers, cab. Usually see like new ones on craigslist for $1,000. Go big or go home

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved #12  
I am an old guy, but I do it much differently!
Park my Ford 1920 FEL in the barn, hook up the Battery Tender Plus in November, and disconnect it in April, when I get back from Florida!
I watch the "windy and nasty" on TV!

The older I get the more I think that's the right idea!

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved #13  
Steering brakes/clutches reduce the effort and work to control the machine. Your arms and upper body will thank you for those.

Electric start is nice. Also make sure the pull start works well for when you are way from the plug.

Heated hand grips are very nice. When you take off gloves because they get wet or hands hot from work it is nice to grab handles that are not freezing.

If you have a hill the rubber treads with spikes for boots are great from traction and keep control of the blower. My drive is steep enough to engage the blower and let it freewheel down the hill. Use reverse/clutch as a brake.

When you blowers try the chute controls. My blower has single lever that tilts and twists for angle and rotation. Got stiff and funky to use after a bunch of years.

Dress with waterproof layers, including pants. Typically doing my driveway off would come the hat, coat, gloves leaving just the overalls.

And lots of spare shear pins. Blower will find anything in the snow. Door mats and soccer balls are a pain to clean out of the auger.

I bought a BX2370 w/ blower this year. Much nicer to clear the driveway. Less maneuverable, but faster than the walk behind.

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved
I have an old snow blower off of a JD lawn tractor that was bought in the late 80's but is in almost new condition. I might be able to make it work on our LA 145 JD lawn tractor we have now. The hitch is different and I have not checked to see if i can convert it over. I kinda want a BCS tiller anyway so I am not sure what to do. Ed

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved #15  

Get a wheeled blower. They're much more maneuverable. Esp for a city lot. Also, forget about those nubby dirt bike tires. Get turf (looking) tires w chains. Considerably more traction.

I have a large tracked blower now. Wrestling that thing around is not for the faint of heart! But then I don't have a long country drive either. I don't go 30-50 ft bef I have to twist and turn and reverse direction.

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved #16  
How much work is it to blow snow with a walk behind snow blower? Is it something an old person in fair shape could do? thanks Ed
Is this for Mt Crawford, Va?
How often do PLAN, based on historical records, HAVING TO USE IT?

I came from Northern Vermont. Snow started in September and went to May. 24" plus snowfalls were common. We ran a Gravely w/ a blower. My Grandfather was over 60 and had no problem running it.

But down here in Virginia I just make a big pot of stew and let the snow melt. We've only had about 4 snowfalls in the last 5 years worth a little shoveling. Two neighbors had blowers, one got rid of his, took up to much space.

If you are in a city that mandates bare sidewalks it will be a big tradeoff of $$ versus usage.

FWIW Fairfax County is auctioning off
eight snowblowers
IMG_3601%20(3).jpg

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved #17  
Also, forget about those nubby dirt bike tires. Get turf (looking) tires w chains. Considerably more traction.
I would have to disagree. I went from a 1980s Sears 7/24 with turfs and chains to a Craftsman 10/32 with knobby tires and the traction was noticeably better with the knobby tires.

Aaron Z

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved
Is this for Mt Crawford, Va?
How often do PLAN, based on historical records, HAVING TO USE IT?

I came from Northern Vermont. Snow started in September and went to May. 24" plus snowfalls were common. We ran a Gravely w/ a blower. My Grandfather was over 60 and had no problem running it.

But down here in Virginia I just make a big pot of stew and let the snow melt. We've only had about 4 snowfalls in the last 5 years worth a little shoveling. Two neighbors had blowers, one got rid of his, took up to much space.

If you are in a city that mandates bare sidewalks it will be a big tradeoff of $$ versus usage.

FWIW Fairfax County is auctioning off
eight snowblowers
IMG_3601%20(3).jpg

I usually plow at least a couple good sized snow each year and often 3 to 5 of them. We are over in the valley of Va and we get more snow than most of Va. About 5 or 6 years ago we got 7 ft of snow in one winter. I know that is not a huge amount for some of you but it was enough for me to get tired of it. We also have a handicaped family member and need to be able to get out if needed. I am also hoping to eather get a BCS two wheel tractor with a tiller and snow blower or a lawn tractor with a snow blower so I won't have to keep up two separate motors. Thanks Ed

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved #19  
I would have to disagree. I went from a 1980s Sears 7/24 with turfs and chains to a Craftsman 10/32 with knobby tires and the traction was noticeably better with the knobby tires.

Aaron Z

Well, for the type of snow I get here, the type of tire/chain combo shown on that JD is what works best for me.

I get large dumps of somewhat wettish snow (usually). Heavy anyway. And wind drifts. Plus I have a lot of half melting salty plow bank snow to remove. So I'm usually running on 1/2 -1 inch of slush plus hard pack.

Tried it both ways; during the same winter even.

/ Walk behind snow blower effort envolved #20  
Every self propelled snowblower I had, I put chains on it. When there is ice under the snow, it's the only way to go. Especially uphill on smooth concrete. Sometimes we get a bit of freezing rain before it snows and then the wind drifts it and packs it down.