Show me your Drag

/ Show me your Drag #11  
I have seen a piece of chainlink with 1-4 pieces of 4x4 on top (one on the front, one on the back, add more in the middle to make it more aggressive).

Aaron Z
That is exactly what I have

/ Show me your Drag #12  
I have made a few drags similar to to AIRBISKIT's but only using 3 'blades'
Front 2 being at similar angles as his fronts with only one rear blade.
I did add a plate in order to add weight as needed.
A 3 blade design scalps all bumps, never digs in and spreads the material nicely.
We pull using 2 chains , one from each corner and insert a small tire in each chain line to act as a shock absorber in case we snag a rock or root.
For more aggressive grading one could always add teeth to to front blade.(could be as simple as welded on short rods)
The angled blades cause the loose material to travel from side to side and fill in any indentations while the rear blade makes a finish.

/ Show me your Drag #13  
I've built my boys a dirt oval go kart track and need something to smooth it out with. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a land plane or whatever. Back in the day when I raced karts, the track owners would drag an old box spring with tires and concrete blocks on it around the track, but I can't find a box spring set like that ANYWHERE these days.

Show me what you've made to smooth the ground something similar :thumbsup:

Don't forget the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of the page. :)

/ Show me your Drag #14  
I have made a few drags similar to to AIRBISKIT's but only using 3 'blades'
Front 2 being at similar angles as his fronts with only one rear blade.
I did add a plate in order to add weight as needed.
A 3 blade design scalps all bumps, never digs in and spreads the material nicely.
We pull using 2 chains , one from each corner and insert a small tire in each chain line to act as a shock absorber in case we snag a rock or root.
For more aggressive grading one could always add teeth to to front blade.(could be as simple as welded on short rods)
The angled blades cause the loose material to travel from side to side and fill in any indentations while the rear blade makes a finish.
I didn't see much side to side movement of material in Airbiskit's video & always heard there wasn't as much as you'd expect. Do you have a steeper angle or otherwise see more lateral material movement?

I'm planning on a LPGS build, or maybe a drag like that at some point. Picked up a few grader blades or cutting edges cheap at some auctions so far.

Any recommendations on a drag like that over a LPGS? Most of my use will be dirt road or gravel driveway maintnance.

/ Show me your Drag #15  
Anybody have advice on designs for levelling clods behind a disc, in contrast to road maintenance?

/ Show me your Drag #17  
The drag shown by bep in video is very close to what we made as far as angles and design but ours did not hinge or have a wheel.
In his video you see the front blade scalp bumps and the material travel to the side with excess going to 2 nd blade and again sideway movement with 3rd blade doing the finish.
The angles on blade 1 and 2 should be close so that the side pulls cancel each other out. Last 'finishing blade' would be close to 90 deg to the pull line axis.
In our design we allowed the finish blade to spill excess to middle road as that helped to create a desired 'crown'.

My first drag was actually made with 5ea 6" x 6" timbers bolted and equipped with 3" x 3/8" flat stock as cutting edges lagged bolted to faces.
That old wood drag actually lasted 10 years and was used on a much traveled dirt road. We generally dragged 2-3 times a season over 3 miles using an old Willis jeep as power. (B4 my tractor days).
After 10 years of usage someone actually stole it!==Kid you not!

/ Show me your Drag #18  
Anybody have advice on designs for levelling clods behind a disc, in contrast to road maintenance?
How about an old panel or gate? You would have to add weight to it.

P7060001.JPG

P7060007.JPG

P7060009.JPG

/ Show me your Drag #19  
I used an old cedar "Christmas tree" cedar once on my gravel road. It worked fairly well until it wore out. Certainly not a long term solution, but I was surprised how much it smoothed the road out

/ Show me your Drag #20  
IF I had drag it would most likely look some thing like this, not very attractive, but I do not have any drag, but I do have a soil mover,

Glad I already had my dinner, that would RUIN an appetite.