Hobart Handler 190 opinions

/ Hobart Handler 190 opinions #11  
I would think the biggest self shielded flux core wire you can run on that welder is .045". You may have an issue getting that wire to feed through a regular Mig gun. Sometimes the wire will feed OK when cold, but when the wire gets hot it could freeze up in the Mig gun liner.

/ Hobart Handler 190 opinions
I would think the biggest self shielded flux core wire you can run on that welder is .045". You may have an issue getting that wire to feed through a regular Mig gun. Sometimes the wire will feed OK when cold, but when the wire gets hot it could freeze up in the Mig gun liner.

Maybe I won't have to use anything bigger than .035 wire. I'll probably be using it for thinner stuff and keep using the stick welder for the thick. I hope to learn something and practice a lot with it.

Speaking of wire, what good general purpose flux core wire are most of you using?

/ Hobart Handler 190 opinions #13  
Speaking of wire, what good general purpose flux core wire are most of you using?
For T-11 wires, Hobart's 21-B, and Lincolns NR-212 are hard to beat.

Attachments

• 1 Pass.JPG
    1 Pass.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 177
  • NR212RF.JPG
    NR212RF.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 159
   / Hobart Handler 190 opinions #14  
I am using 75/25 Gas.
I have never used Fluxcore so I can't comment other than to say check out the cost of adding gas since you will have the regulator.
I bought the HF cart but had to put heavier wheels and axle on it for my full size tank.
Also had to relocate the axle to the rear for proper balance.

/ Hobart Handler 190 opinions #15  
I have the smaller Handler 140 and it's been great. Only had a wire feed problem once, when I did something really stupid and blocked the tip by accident. Other than that, it has fed several spools worth with nary a hiccup. Makes real nice welds. The 190 should be even better.

Thanks for all the replies and wire info.
Shield Arc- I doubt my beads will ever look that good. Since I'm already 63, I doubt I'll have another 30 years to practice.:D

I am using 75/25 Gas.
I have never used Fluxcore so I can't comment other than to say check out the cost of adding gas since you will have the regulator.
I bought the HF cart but had to put heavier wheels and axle on it for my full size tank.
Also had to relocate the axle to the rear for proper balance.

Does your Hobart fit on the HF cart okay? I have looked at the HF welding cart online but wasn't sure if the 190 would fit and still be able to raise the side panel. Also, it looks like it would be top heavy and be unstable. Any problems with that?
Since I won't be using gas, I've also looked at their steel roll around cart with either 2 or 3 shelves to set the 190 on plus have a shelf/shelves for other stuff.

/ Hobart Handler 190 opinions #18  
Shield Arc- I doubt my beads will ever look that good. Since I'm already 63, I doubt I'll have another 30 years to practice.:D
Oh I think you'll be surprised. MIG / wire feeds are the easiest process to learn. The only trick is learning how to set the machine. If your machine comes with a door chart, don't go by that! The door charts I've seen are way off. :confused:

Oh I think you'll be surprised. MIG / wire feeds are the easiest process to learn. The only trick is learning how to set the machine. If your machine comes with a door chart, don't go by that! The door charts I've seen are way off. :confused:

Yea, I've been watching some videos on how to get it set up right. I think Welding Tips and Tricks on You Tube describes the setup pretty good.

/ Hobart Handler 190 opinions #20  
Member here dragoneggs was welding some thin wall box tubing. He was having trouble welding. He brought his Mig welder over to my shop. I had him set the Mig welder just like he had it at home. He was using the door chart. I can't believe how far off the settings were:shocked:.
When I set a Mig welder / wire welder I listen to the sound of the weld. The sound tells me a lot about the quality of the weld.