catastrophic rim failor

/ catastrophic rim failor #31  
First time for me to see this on a CUT.

I've saw it dozens of times on larger tractors and mostly on the drive wheels of Combines.

Usually caused by the machine operating under stresses exceeding the design specs.

If the historic usage of this CUT continues, the other wheel will fail also.

Not saying the operator is doing anything wrong. Just saying the wheels can't stand the stresses he's putting on them. I use the snot out of my M9540 with FEL and Grapple. I would not consider it a weakness if one of my wheels failed. Lost track of how many loads I've carried quite a distance with one or both rear wheels off the ground. :ashamed:

/ catastrophic rim failor #32  
The things you're looking at are wheels, not rims. The rim is the lip/edge that keeps the tire in place.

This sort of oddball stuff is part of why I say it's crazy for folks to run around with their ROPS folded for no reason. Often the answer is "I'm on flat ground".....yeah, a wheel failure can cause a rollover on flat ground in a heartbeat.

I think your are trying to nitpick an item that is indivisible.

Some tractors have centers and separate rims that comprise a wheel, is bolt together parts.. This unit is one piece. Wheel /rim is common nomenclature here when generically referring to the part that allows a tire to be attached to the tractor.. Its obvious what failed.. Not sure why the disection. :(

/ catastrophic rim failor #33  
I think your are trying to nitpick an item that is indivisible.

Some tractors have centers and separate rims that comprise a wheel, is bolt together parts.. This unit is one piece. Wheel /rim is common nomenclature here when generically referring to the part that allows a tire to be attached to the tractor.. Its obvious what failed.. Not sure why the disection. :(

Yep.

A one piece can commonly be called "wheel" or "rim".

/ catastrophic rim failor #35  
...And, what could be the cause of such a failure???

There is a sure clue that something is going wrong in your pictures.

There is a witness mark in white paint on the heads of the lug bolts. This was placed when the lugs were originally torqued.

Now look at the wheel. The white paint is carried over onto the wheel, but the witness marks do not line up. This means that the lugs have rotated out.

If you know to look for this, you can determine whether the lugs are tight just from a casual inspection -- no tools required.

My 110 TLB has these witness marks on many of the bolt heads all over the machine.

/ catastrophic rim failor #36  
And be wrong half of the time.

Remember, regional differences in dialect mean more than wrote dictionary entries.

Its a common naming convention in many places. You may choose to acknowledge that or chose not to. Those of us that have heard this, know it for what it is.

/ catastrophic rim failor #37  
Back when I was a metallurgy major in college (60's), I interned summers at Kaiser Steel in the met lab. One summer while I was there we were investigting GM wheels made with Kaiser steel that were cracking at one of the forming bends. Long story short, every steel manufactured has a set of specifications for how tight a radius the steel can be formed. GM exceeded that spec and ended up replacing a lot of wheels.

That was probably before recalls, so I imagine they only replaced the ones that cracked.

/ catastrophic rim failor #38  
Remember, regional differences in dialect mean more than wrote dictionary entries.

Its a common naming convention in many places. You may choose to acknowledge that or chose not to. Those of us that have heard this, know it for what it is.

Common or not, I acknowledge that it's wrong everywhere. The rim is part of the wheel, not the wheel. Wheels have rims, so they can't be rims.

/ catastrophic rim failor #39  
Common or not, I acknowledge that it's wrong everywhere. The rim is part of the wheel, not the wheel. Wheels have rims, so they can't be rims.

Why do you frequently do this?

/ catastrophic rim failor #40  
Good points Kthompson, and all worth looking back at
However , these wheels were off a year ago for new tires and well inspected before re installing them. Now I did have a load in the loader when it failed, but I can see that this took some time to happen. maybe it was just bad steel?? WTC steel back from China?? who knows, but I am seeing what looks like hair line cracks on the right side and those lug bolts are tight. I will take them off and inspect the inside of the wheel tomorrow just to be sure!

There is a sure clue that something is going wrong in your pictures.

There is a witness mark in white paint on the heads of the lug bolts. This was placed when the lugs were originally torqued.

Now look at the wheel. The white paint is carried over onto the wheel, but the witness marks do not line up. This means that the lugs have rotated out.

If you know to look for this, you can determine whether the lugs are tight just from a casual inspection -- no tools required.

My 110 TLB has these witness marks on many of the bolt heads all over the machine.