Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #1  
Tractor
Ford 2600 Diesel
From Traffic Incident Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor | CullmanSense

Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor

A Danville man was killed early this morning when the tractor he was driving on Alabama Highway 157 was hit from behind by an 18-wheeler.

Cullman County Coroner Jeremy Kilpatrick pronounced James Mcabee, 45, dead at the scene.

"Mr. Mcabee was traveling south on Alabama 157, driving a 6000 Series John Deere tractor, pulling a hay baler, when he was struck from the rear by the truck," said Kilpatrick.

The incident occurred at the top of Battleground Mountain at approximately 8:05 a.m.

Alabama State Troopers worked the scene, along with members of the Cullman County Sheriff's Department and Battlegound Volunteer Fire Department.

The highway is now re-opened to traffic.

The cause of the incident is still under investigation.

2d10a649-4534-43da-9ebe-7f2b1591c568-medium36x25_Farmtractoraccident.png

a6ce51a3-336c-4f96-8529-0bc44c0d8a65-medium36x25_IMG_2444.jpg

More photos at 1 dead after 18-wheeler collides with farm tractor in Cullman County | WBMA

5773e488c3452.image.jpg

5773e484c121c.image.jpg

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #2  
Very sad for everyone involved.

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #3  
Broad daylight...trucker must not have been paying attention.

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #4  
Broad daylight...trucker must not have been paying attention.

That's what I was thinking also. .... on a straight piece of highway at that.

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #5  
Reminds me of the Amish getting hit in their buggies by tourists.
I mean, how can you NOT see that thing?...
Whoever owns that semi is going to be paying a lot of money due to this,
(door says Midwest Logistics, Celina Ohio)
yet nothing will replace that man at the prime of his life.
Hard to look at...

I drive my JD X750 about half a mile on local small public roads to get to the roadside on the far side of my property. Can't cut through, mostly swamp and neighbor's planted field. So I put my lights on and I put one of those LED flashers on the rear, and I admit I lean a little bit to the right side. Really don't want a truck mirror up the side of my head.

If somehow the tractor driver saw this guy in his rear view mirrors barrelling down on him, he might have been able to get off the road a little but pulling a big piece of equipment down a street I'd think he had plenty of other things in front of him to keep him occupied. I always watch my rear mirrors at times for just this reason, particularly stopped in traffic.

I also wonder if the tractor driver was wearing his seatbelt and if it would have made a difference. Clash of the titans here, lot of heavy metal moving around.
Am very sorry for the family's loss.

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #6  
is it normal practice down there to drive tractors on divided high speed highways? Around here we can't do that.

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #7  
is it normal practice down there to drive tractors on divided high speed highways? Around here we can't do that.
Yes, in NC, tractors traveling down roads that are posted at 70 mph. :shocked: Surprised there are not more accidents here...

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #8  
Around here, I have to drive about 1/4 mile on a local blacktop without much shoulder. It scares the bejebbers out of me as the SUV's and Crossovers pass by as if I wasn't even there. :grumpy:

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #9  
Tractor operator was not wearing the seat belt and was ejected from the safety of the tractor cab. Tough luck pal.

/ Danville man killed Wednesday morning after 18-wheeler hits tractor #10  
Harsh