Dealing on new equipment

/ Dealing on new equipment #1  

Lilguy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota
Have not bought new tractors since 1985. Both Kubotas still run strong. Looking to add a Z726 at a list of 8999.00
and a. Bx25d staring at 18/18500 depending on who I ask at dealer. What has anyone's experience been pricing out their deals. All input greatly appreciated. I'm in the Chicago suburbs.

/ Dealing on new equipment #2  
Cash sales are always a bargaining tool and usually can do better than original quotes, even more so buying 2 machines at the same time. Even if financing, buying 2 machines and/or implements at the same time can be a bargaining tool.

/ Dealing on new equipment #3  
I agree with George. They'll try to tell you about 0% financing and how it's "free". It's not free. There's no logical reason a large corporation would finance you versus cash payment for the same asking price. It's up to the dealership to rectify that situation if you are offering cash. All this is inapplicable if you require financing.

Buying two should get you a really good deal. Commonly you will pay around 85% of retail. Retail can be easily determined by going on Kubota's website and building the units you plan to purchase. Be careful to study options and/or additional equipment. For example if you build one on the website, make sure you pricing that same unit down to the smallest detail at the dealership. Smoke and Mirrors. Buyer beware.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.

/ Dealing on new equipment
Yep, they are selling 0 finance. I got approved for 30Gs but could pay cash. Working the numbers now.
Will use the build site to figure starting point. Thanks

/ Dealing on new equipment #5  
Go to kubota's website and do the tractor builder. It'll give you the full retail price. From there you will know just how much of a discount the dealer is giving you. A good deal would be about 15% off retail. Back when I was buying none of the local dealers would budge much off retail where as places in the south east would deal. If you have a favorite dealer or if you are the type of person who will use the dealer often then you may not want to try this but I would talk to a number of dealers and just say you will be using the one that gives you the best price. Knowing the retail price and deducting 10% to 12% would allow you to quote a price to a dealer to see if they can beat it.

/ Dealing on new equipment #6  
Lilguy,

I shopped heavily last fall for my new tractor so I'll tell you what I did. I found it best to be fully prepared before I started price negotiations. The dealers will take you more seriously if you are not constantly changing things everything time you ask for their best deal.

First, I chose the tractor with the options and the one implement (besides the loader) that I wanted. I called a local dealer to begin discussing a deal but also wanted feedback on my choice and if I was missing anything. Once I firmed up the tractor decision, I printed out the retail package from Kubota' site so I had a start point. In my case, I got my first quote from that same local dealer but you can skip that and get a quote from Barlows in Kentucky. It's $750 to ship up here but no sales tax and they'll split shipping with other customers around us. They also gave a multiple machine discount because I was shopping for two tractors. Armed with their price, I began negotiating with that first local dealer and also began talking to another dealer a little further south but still in our local area. Ultimately, I bought from that second local dealer for $500.00 or so more than out of state. My friend actually started the discussion with that second dealer and ended up buying a tractor and RTV for himself so that dealer ended up with three machine sales from us.
I had the money to buy my tractor outright and had every intention of doing so. I told each dealer as such when I was negotiating. At the time (last fall) Kubota had 100% financing at 0%. It may be different now with cash rebates, incentives etc but I paid the same price cash or credit so I financed.

We are in the same general area so send me a PM if you'd like to talk more. I would be happy to give you the names of the dealers I was talking to as well. Believe it or not, I actually like both of the local dealers but the one was just more willing to negotiate.

Good luck.
John

/ Dealing on new equipment #7  
I priced a BX2370 with just a bellymower since I am going to be mainly cutting grass with it. I told the salesman just what I wanted and he worked up a price. I asked if that price was for financing and he said it was 0% for 60 months. I then asked him for the cash price and he said it was the same. He mentioned that since 95% of the machines are financed that that is the price Kubota puts on them. No cash discount.....I got up and left.

/ Dealing on new equipment #8  
I priced a BX2370 with just a bellymower since I am going to be mainly cutting grass with it. I told the salesman just what I wanted and he worked up a price. I asked if that price was for financing and he said it was 0% for 60 months. I then asked him for the cash price and he said it was the same. He mentioned that since 95% of the machines are financed that that is the price Kubota puts on them. No cash discount.....I got up and left.

Good for you.

Kubtoa don't determine the selling price, the dealer does.

/ Dealing on new equipment #9  
Good for you. Kubtoa don't determine the selling price, the dealer does.

I wonder who is making that money, the dealer or the manufacturer? I am searching for a Kubota and the difference between cash back or 0% financing is only $500. Someone is making a lot of money if you buy in cash.

I am also looking at Mahindra and if you pay in cash there is several thousand dollars difference between between cash and taking 0%.

/ Dealing on new equipment #10  
If you use Kubota's financing it includes excellent KTAC insurance.

If you pay cash, insurance is up to you. You can buy KTAC insurance separately, if you pay cash.

KTAC insurance on my $27,500 L3560 is about $435 per year included in five year finance period.

I have had one claim in year three. I put about 300 engine hours on my tractor each year, so about $1.45 per engine hour. I figure my operating cost is $30 per hour, including implements, so $1.45 is negligible. KTAC insurance is well worth it, in my opinion.

Dealer does my service, with the exception of greasing.

LINK: Google:KTAC Insurance

Last edited: