Getting rid of steel scrap metal

/ Getting rid of steel scrap metal #1  

Retiredguy2

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere 4410
One of the local high schools holds a scrap metal drive every summer to raise funds for band equipment, and they tell me they will be happy to pick up about 3/4 ton of steel that I have...much of it is chain link fencing that would be a huge PIB for me to load and transport. I probably have enough to fill three full size pickup beds and the gas to transport everything in my trailer (2 trips) would cost me $10-15 plus all my time. According to my local scrapyards they pay about 3 cents a pound for mixed steel scrap so I could earn maybe fifty bucks for what I have before paying for the gas. AND I get a tax deduction...!! What is the current rate for for steel scrap in your area?

/ Getting rid of steel scrap metal #2  
the last I knew it was 4 cents a pound here. That was in June.

/ Getting rid of steel scrap metal #3  
i just went yesterday and got $ 4.00 per hundred lbs . Lucky the scrap yard is only 20 minutes away

/ Getting rid of steel scrap metal #4  
I brought mine to the dump day before yesterday.

The attendent waived the minimum tipping fee on the trash in return for the 500# (or so) metal I had on the trailer.
Close enough for me ;-)

/ Getting rid of steel scrap metal #5  
It's been my experiance as a casual "scrapper" that it's more trouble then it's worth to hit the yard. My regular trash pickup person is limited by local law to 13.50 per month for a weekly five bag max pickup. I put out my odds and ends of metal for him. He's a good hard working person and can use the extra I assume.

/ Getting rid of steel scrap metal #6  
Yes... it is more trouble than cash generated. I see it as waste reduction. All the scrap metal I generate (food cans, broken parts, etc are saved in a drum until enough to make a trip to the scrap yard. The metal pays for the gas and the waste reduction is my contribution to modern society.

/ Getting rid of steel scrap metal #7  
I took 60# of scrap steel and aluminum to the recycle center and they gave a 2.50.

I drove my diesel dually 20 miles to take it but am $2.50 richer. Then I had to buy 2 old car wheels and the attendant was trying to figure how much he could clip me for them. I told her I heard the price of steel was way down so give me a break on them. 2 wheels for $5.00.

I am going to have to keep working if I want to keep making deals like that.

/ Getting rid of steel scrap metal
I took 60# of scrap steel and aluminum to the recycle center and they gave a 2.50.

I drove my diesel dually 20 miles to take it but am $2.50 richer. Then I had to buy 2 old car wheels and the attendant was trying to figure how much he could clip me for them. I told her I heard the price of steel was way down so give me a break on them. 2 wheels for $5.00.

I am going to have to keep working if I want to keep making deals like that.

I recall one time my brother and I hauled 1700 pounds of scrap to a yard and we earned about $125 tax free for that work. I miss those days myself.

/ Getting rid of steel scrap metal #10  
I recall one time my brother and I hauled 1700 pounds of scrap to a yard and we earned about $125 tax free for that work. I miss those days myself.

A couple years ago, scrap steel was pushing 300/ton. So a couple of years ago, that 1700# would have got you about $250.

Now, its ~$60-$80/ton. (0.03-0.04 per pound) in my area.

Non ferrous is down also, but not nearly as much.