Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers

/ Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #22  
Ha, sorry Jeff. Is that a bad question? I figured only a few John Deere Tractors would fit that requirement, no? I see that the 5045E has some 0 percent money on new ones, so maybe that's the best route.

Wagtail, I bought this new because I saw it at a dealership and I knew these things take months to get sometimes. I figured the tractor would be easier, but I think Jeff is thinking I'm a whackjob right about now :)

Well yeah, kinda... this is a very bassakwards way of going about things. I've popped over to the Gannon website and you've bought a great implement, OK? But this is like buying a fantastic gooseneck caravan (5th wheel trailer) and then looking for something to haul it around with.

What I recommend is that you put the BB aside for the time being. You first need to consider what you need a tractor, or perhaps a skidsteer, to do for you. Is this only for maintaining your driveway? Is snow removal part of the scenario? Do you have livestock that you need to move rounds of hay for? A lawn to mow? Trees to remove?

Lets figure out what size tractor you need and then move onto the implements (tools) to do the job right.

/ Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers
I'm going to be using it to level several acres of a fly-fishing ranch in Idaho. Trout Haven 6-2016.jpg I already have a backhoe (a CAT 420E) so I got the digging and loading work out of the way. 20140913_115659.jpg

/ Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #24  
First I would ask you to post a picture of your box blade hitch from the front. Just to clarify the hitch you have, as most of these box blades have a clevis hitch that fits both cat 1 and cat 2 hitches. This is important because John Deere and a lot of other manufacturers do not offer the hydrostatic transmissions in a cat 2 hitch.

I use a Deere 4520 cab tractor with R4 tires triple wheel weights 60hp and the ehydro transmission with good results. Mine is a 2009 and in that year the hp was increased across the model series, so the 2008 and older will have less power. When checking out tractors this is good to be aware of.

I have a Frontier BB1284 box blade made by Gannon very similar to yours but with the hinged tailgate and is 7' wide. I have many hours of seat time using mine for grading fields and other work. I would venture to say a similar tractor would work well with your 6' box blade. I would suggest a tractor of at least 50hp and would prefer a little larger which allows higher ground speeds. When you are grading acres instead of a short driveway travel speed becomes an issue.

Other important considerations would be to get a top and tilt hydraulic hitch (needs two sets of hydraulics) plus one set of hydraulics for the rippers. Would also recommend the optional telescopic links if you need to change implements often. These clevis hitch implements are a bear to change without telescopic links or the quick hitches.

Below are pictures of my tractor and box blade and pictures of some small fields I have used this on.

In the second picture if you look at the hitch you will notice I am connected to the inside hitch clevis on each side this is for cat 1, if you connect to the outer clevis set that is for cat 2.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 800
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 407
  • 20140809_175147.jpg
    20140809_175147.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 209
  • 20140818_185303.jpg
    20140818_185303.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 135
  • 20140818_185335.jpg
    20140818_185335.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 129
  • Neria farm 008.jpg
    Neria farm 008.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 160
Last edited:
   / Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #25  
Ha, sorry Jeff. Is that a bad question? I figured only a few John Deere Tractors would fit that requirement, no? I see that the 5045E has some 0 percent money on new ones, so maybe that's the best route.

Wagtail, I bought this new because I saw it at a dealership and I knew these things take months to get sometimes. I figured the tractor would be easier, but I think Jeff is thinking I'm a whackjob right about now :)

I have an older Gannon 76 inch cat 2 box blade on my 554 Rhino, I know you won't be looking at this brand -but the power and weight specs are a ballpark size weight that you will probably need.
tractor weight with just FEL installed- about 7000 lbs. cat 2 3 point and 55 hp
this works well with my 76" gannon.

I think you should look for a Utility- not CUT tractor with 4x4 for your box blade

and to quote Jeff - ( buy enough tractor the first time )

pulling a heavy box blade (Gannon) thru rocky soil- tractor weight is your friend and imo is arguably more important than horsepower.

and Good Luck on your tractor search:thumbsup:

Last edited:
First I would ask you to post a picture of your box blade hitch from the front. Just to clarify the hitch you have, as most of these box blades have a clevis hitch that fits both cat 1 and cat 2 hitches. This is important because John Deere and a lot of other manufacturers do not offer the hydrostatic transmissions in a cat 2 hitch.

I use a Deere 4520 cab tractor with R4 tires triple wheel weights 60hp and the ehydro transmission with good results. Mine is a 2009 and in that year the hp was increased across the model series, so the 2008 and older will have less power. When checking out tractors this is good to be aware of.

I have a Frontier BB1284 box blade made by Gannon very similar to yours but with the hinged tailgate and is 7' wide. I have many hours of seat time using mine for grading fields and other work. I would venture to say a similar tractor would work well with your 6' box blade. I would suggest a tractor of at least 50hp and would prefer a little larger which allows higher ground speeds. When you are grading acres instead of a short driveway travel speed becomes an issue.

Other important considerations would be to get a top and tilt hydraulic hitch (needs two sets of hydraulics) plus one set of hydraulics for the rippers. Would also recommend the optional telescopic links if you need to change implements often. These clevis hitch implements are a bear to change without telescopic links or the quick hitches.

Below are pictures of my tractor and box blade and pictures of some small fields I have used this on.

In the second picture if you look at the hitch you will notice I am connected to the inside hitch clevis on each side this is for cat 1, if you connect to the outer clevis set that is for cat 2.

Hi Jenkins, I'll get a picture of the top of the box blade the next time I'm at the ranch. Wow, I wish my soil was like that in your picture. That's such nice dirt you almost don't want to plant anything on it :laughing: Great information, thank you. I'm thinking the new 5045E since JD is offering free money right now. But maybe the 5055E would be better. Do you know what the difference is in the "E" series vs the "M" series (I see JD makes a 5055M as well).

Thanks a ton for all your input.

Here's my box bladeGannon_4x4.jpg

/ Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #28  
If you have the double clevis ears then it is a cat 2 hitch. You could have the inside clevis ears/tabs added to go with either cat 1 or 2.

If the majority of your work is in the open a gear tractor will work just fine. I on the other hand do a lot of grading close to obstacles and new homes. I much prefer a hydrostatic transmission, saves me from damaging peoples property.

The gear tractors you listed will work with this box blade. The concern would be tire width if anything. Much like you I have a backhoe with fel so I am not much interested in the low capacity ag loaders/fels. When I was buying with limited funds I chose the cab over the fel and added full weights.

Jeff mentioned that you should look at the other jobs you have for the tractor. This might help you better to determine which size tractor and hp would be best for you. Tell us more about your plans and we can help.

Jenkins & Jeff,

I already have a mower, so if I was to drill down on this tractors activities, it would be all this grading I have to do plus I would use it to maintain the long gravel driveway (about a 1/4 mile).

Question: What about a small dozer, never driven one, but in you guys opinion why would I not just purchase a used small dozer and get rid of the box scrapper and abandon the tractor search, just wondering, not considering.

Thanks.

/ Help Selecting a Tractor for my Gannon HSD 72" with hydraulic rippers #30  
Thanks Jeff, I'll review it. Question: My box scrapper says its rated for 40 to 90 HP. Does that mean that a 35HP would not pull it through the dirt and 100 HP would damage it? I guess I'm not understanding the broad range in HP requirement for the attachment?
Weight is a lot more important than HP. It doesn't matter if you have 3 thousand HP if you lack the traction to put it to the ground.