How would you straighten this?

/ How would you straighten this? #41  
Has no one thought about just putting it back in the jack stand facing the opposite direction and then drag the trailer forward just like you did to bend it the first time. Go slow and have a flagger to stop when it gets straight. If that doesn't work, just fab up a new piece of pipe. You may not want to go stronger because the next time it may break the mounting attachment rather than just bending the foot.

What about doing this but use a screw-type chain binder (or twisted chain) attached to the bottom plate to pull it back straight. If it slides thru then you're done, right?

I wouldn't use heat, you will burn all the galvanize off. Maybe that gets it straight but you just traded one problem for another.

/ How would you straighten this? #42  
When we built the galvanized steel docks, Pier 69 down town Seattle. And the Alaska ferry terminal in Bellingham. Where the galvanize was burned off, either by welding, or just damage. We were required to replace the galvanize with these. Heat the area with a torch, rub these rods over the area, and wire brush the galvanize smooth.

Attachments

• Galvanizing rod.jpg
    Galvanizing rod.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Pier 69.jpg
    Pier 69.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 127
   / How would you straighten this?
Well, I tried the heat/quench a couple times. It didn't move much, probably because as SA said there's a kink in the pipe. image-4221532402.jpg I found an old piece of similar od steel pipe, cleaned and beveled it with a 20" disc sander, cleaned and beveled the foot I had cut off the bent part. image-4205191924.jpg Butt migged and ground a bit, then painted w cold galvanized rattle can. Doesn't look like the original color, so I hop it reminds me not to forget to remember not to forget it's down. When it is.

image-1202801095.jpg

Anyway thanks for the suggestions. This one should last me. Jim

/ How would you straighten this? #44  
Looks like a winner.

This reminds me of something I straightened years ago. I had a bend in a thicker pipe so I slid a smaller diameter solid round bar into it and kept heating and tapping with a hammer until it was straight. I used the materials I had. Worked very well and came out about 99% straight.

/ How would you straighten this? #45  
Looks like you heated the wrong side. :confused:

Attachments

• Jimmy 3.jpg
    Jimmy 3.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Jimmy 4.jpg
    Jimmy 4.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 113
   / How would you straighten this? #46  
Well, I tried the heat/quench a couple times. It didn't move much, probably because as SA said there's a kink in the pipe. View attachment 477626 I found an old piece of similar od steel pipe, cleaned and beveled it with a 20" disc sander, cleaned and beveled the foot I had cut off the bent part. View attachment 477627 Butt migged and ground a bit, then painted w cold galvanized rattle can. Doesn't look like the original color, so I hop it reminds me not to forget to remember not to forget it's down. When it is.

View attachment 477628

Anyway thanks for the suggestions. This one should last me. Jim

Heated up wrong side ;)

edit: SA beat me too it ..

/ How would you straighten this?
Darn! Can't remember instructions either. Maybe I'll try it and see what happens. Darn!
Jim

/ How would you straighten this? #48  
Darn! Can't remember instructions either.
Been there, done that:eek:! The guy who taught me how to heat shrink, use to pull his hair out when he was teaching me:laughing:. He worked in the crew that did the beams for the Seattle Space Needle.

/ How would you straighten this? #49  
I just always heat the side that I want to push. The first time someone tries this I can see the confusion, because the bend becomes much worse as the heat is applied. It's like a one step backward, two steps forward progress.

/ How would you straighten this? #50  
I just always heat the side that I want to push. The first time someone tries this I can see the confusion, because the bend becomes much worse as the heat is applied. It's like a one step backward, two steps forward progress.
Yeah it seems counter intuitive. The heat expands it and heals the permanent stretch, but the cooling brings it back to a better state with molecular redistribution.