Comparing 1538 to 2538 is there any reason to choose the 1538?

/ Comparing 1538 to 2538 is there any reason to choose the 1538? #1  

mike35549

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2538 with FEL
They both have the same engine made by Mahindra. Here are some specs on HST model's from TractorData. The 2538 is also cheaper. I must be missing something. It is kinda odd that the 1538 looses a lot more HP from Engine to PTO than the 2538 does. I am trying to decise between one of these and a Kubota L3901. and the 2538 would be the cheaper of the three by several thousand.

-------------1538 - 2538
Engine HP 38.7 - 37.4
PTO HP 27.7 - 31
Rear Lift 2,646 - 2,646
Lift to full height 1,650 - 1,634
Breakout 2,650 - 2,696
Height to Pin 99" - 101.4
Bucket Width 60" - 66"
Front Tire 7X16 - 7X16
Rear Tire 11.2X24 - 11.2X24
Length 127.8 - 119.3
Width 62 - 59.8
Weight 3175 - 3130

/ Comparing 1538 to 2538 is there any reason to choose the 1538? #2  
They both have the same engine made by Mahindra. Here are some specs on HST model's from TractorData. The 2538 is also cheaper. I must be missing something. It is kinda odd that the 1538 looses a lot more HP from Engine to PTO than the 2538 does. I am trying to decise between one of these and a Kubota L3901. and the 2538 would be the cheaper of the three by several thousand.

-------------1538 - 2538
Engine HP 38.7 - 37.4
PTO HP 27.7 - 31
Rear Lift 2,646 - 2,646
Lift to full height 1,650 - 1,634
Breakout 2,650 - 2,696
Height to Pin 99" - 101.4
Bucket Width 60" - 66"
Front Tire 7X16 - 7X16
Rear Tire 11.2X24 - 11.2X24
Length 127.8 - 119.3
Width 62 - 59.8
Weight 3175 - 3130

Well, I just went through the last four months debating the same issue, along with considering a 40 horse LS tractor and looking at 3901 Kubota, a New Holland and a Branson. Liked the Branson but had dpf filter and no dealers even close to me. The Branson models have old style injector system though and the dpf did not regen and could be replaced by a straight pipe without issue out after warranty (no computer program to work around). I finally ended up with the 2538 after much research, and had the dealer install the optional cruise control ($150 at purchase for me). I didn't want dpf filter or I might have bought the LS. If tractor has dpf the manufacturers want you to run the engine at high rpm's and that's not how I use mine a lot of the time. I went back and forth but the lack of dpf filter and the new 7 yr. warranty made the difference. Also liked the bigger front tires and front axle on Mahindra. I've been pulling 6 foot finishing mower for the yard and 6 foot bushhog for the field so far, and moving dirt and gravel, brush and firewood with the loader. I never had a loader before, was the main reason for the purchase. Already saved my aching back a great deal. I looked at the 1538, but did not like the treadle pedal setup. Kubota's treadle seemed more comfortable to me than the Mahindra treadle, and I tried out the 3901. But it just didn't seem to match up with the Mahindra models when looking at the specs and weight. I'd never used Hydrostat transmission so my experience was limited to driving around in the dealers' lots. I'm glad now I went with Hydrostat for how I use the unit. It is great for finish mowing and for using the loader. The joystick location on the 2538 is not on the fender like I thought I would prefer, but I am looking into getting a longer joystick made with a few bends in it to get it where I want it. It's O.K. the way it is, and since I'd never used a loader before it's all new to me anyway. when bushogging I like the dual PTO option, which I didn't think would make a difference. If this machine proves to be durable with reasonable use I will be a happy camper. I also purchased set of pallet forks and must say they are more handy than I imagined. Good luck with your decision. For me the big difference between 1538 and 2538 is the treadle verses the two pedal controls. I'm fairly big guy and the 2538 seemed to have more room, also the 2538 sits a little lower, when you compare the seat height to the fender height. Just a difference in how the two are designed. I liked the 2538 better because of that as well. Tater John

/ Comparing 1538 to 2538 is there any reason to choose the 1538? #3  
I purchased the 2538 due to it being less money with more pto hp and a dual pedal design. Looked at many brands and liked the 2538 the best. I have over 40 hours on it in a month and it does all I need it to do.

/ Comparing 1538 to 2538 is there any reason to choose the 1538? #4  
Great comments above. I agree wholeheartedly and also studied both machines heavily before opting to go with the 2538 for various reasons. I have copied a post below, but encourage you to review the whole thread here for way more info.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/.../348064-info-mahindra-2538-a.html#post4362631 2538 info with lots of comparisons to 1538 (Lots of great pictures here too.)

Good luck! You can't go wrong with either machine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you look at the specs side by side you'll find the machines to be very similarly capable in my opinion. (Links to spec sheets at bottom.) The main difference that you have already pointed out is that the 1538 HST is a Mitsubishi based machine and the 2538 HST is a TYM based product. Everything flows from there. I picked up from the guys that the 2538 is slightly more basic in terms of features, but fully capable for what I needed, and in fact I preferred the beefier front end and tires on the 2538 for the loader work I do. Having the mCRD engine in both caused it to be essentially a choice to save money and get a slightly more basic fit and finish. The 2538 is still a very nice product and excels in some areas over the 1538 in my opinion.

Any dealers or other owners on here please augment or correct my notes. Pictures side by side would be cool too if anyone has them. These are both fine machines.

Some notes:

Clutch - The 1538 HST has a manual clutch that you depress to start engine and engage the manual PTO lever, etc... The 2538 does not have that. My prior machine was a Max 25 which was essentially a smaller version of the 1538. I thought I would miss the manual clutch for engaging the PTO, or for quickly releasing cutter engagement in heavy stuff. In reality, the electrically actuated PTO on the 2538 works great too and having a manual and automatic switch gives you some flexibility that the 1538 does not have. I did like feathering on the PTO with my Max's clutch setup, but throttling down the 2538 still allows for a relatively smooth engagement. (I did opt for a Medium Duty 6' cutter which has a slip clutch, so that might help too...)

Loader control on the 1538 is by your right knee, whereas the 2538 is a traditional reach out front design. Some like the lower right set up, but I often stand up to get on material I am grappling and the front lever is better for me. Also, the bucket visibility in a tiny bit better on the 1538 than on my machine, but no biggie.

Front tires are a bit larger on the 2538. For all the loader work I have, I wanted the wider R4s. (This item was a big factor for me. Maybe silly and certainly not the most important thing, but I am glad the 2538 has beefy front tires.)

The 1538 front steering hydraulics are better shielded than the 2538 which has cylinders in front of the axle. This helps with turning radius, but if you were in heavy rough woods with skinny stumps in your way you may want to weld on some skid protectors there.

Turning radius is tighter on the 2538. It almost feels as good as my little Max 25. The specs show 2538 at 7.87 ft vs 9.2 ft for the 1538. (May help in your situation where space is tight.) Please check the overall lengths with loader though to make sure they are similar. Also, the brakes on the 2538 are on the left, so you can use true independent skid steering while running the hydro pedal. On the 1538 and also my Max the brakes are on the right which require you to be in cruise mode in order to make those super tight turns by slowing or stopping one of the rear tires while turning.

The 1538 uses a heel toe rocker HST pedal and the 2538 has forward/reverse pedals next to one another. Lots of controversy on that topic as to which is better, but I find both are very workable setups.

The 2538 fuel fill location is at the rear while the 1538 is in front of steering wheel. I prefer the rear location for easier access.

The 1538 has a suspension seat and cruise whereas the 2538 did not have either. I remedied that by swapping a suspension seat from a 2540 and also adding a cruise control upgrade for a total of +/- $500 negotiated during purchase.

The 2538 with loader is about 155 pounds heavier than the 1538 with loader so that is close to a wash. (2538 = 4,110# 1538 = 3,955#)

Both machines have quick detach loaders, but the 1538 stores the support leg inside the front loader cross rail, whereas the 2538 legs just fold back along the loader arms. Not quite as smooth looking, but did not bother me. Also the hydraulic lines on the 1538 run inside the loader arm for a bit whereas the 2538 has hard lines along the inside of the right frame. (Another minor detail, but worth pointing out.)

At the end of the day I would say the 1538 had a few nicer finishing touches. Perhaps a bit more "refined" in places, but I am quite pleased with the TYM/Mahindra workmanship of the 2538 and it is very close to what I was used to with the Mitsubishi based Max that I had. Also - the benefits I have noted above pushed me towards the less expensive machine that met more of my needs. I think you'll be pleased with either one and hope that the comments above help out. I really encourage you to try and get both of them side by side so you can touch, feel and put them through their paces.

Here are the spec sheets showing them to be almost identical on paper:

2538 http://mahindrausa.com/sites/default...20010716_5.pdf

1538 http://mahindrausa.com/sites/default...20010716_0.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anything looks to be wrong above, please correct it. I think Dickfoster has a 1538 and can perhaps give you the perspective of that machine's owner.

I owned a Max 25 for four years prior to the 2538 and it was essentially a baby brother to the 1538. That Mitsubishi based machine was very good, but I have been as impressed with the TYM/Mahindra product as well - and now that I have had the 2538 for a while since this last post, I am still happy if not even more pleased with the 2538.

Good Luck!

/ Comparing 1538 to 2538 is there any reason to choose the 1538?
So I guess there is really no reason capabilities wise to choose the 1538 over the 2538. So I guess now I will just have to decide between the 2538 and the 3901.

/ Comparing 1538 to 2538 is there any reason to choose the 1538? #6  
So I guess there is really no reason capabilities wise to choose the 1538 over the 2538. So I guess now I will just have to decide between the 2538 and the 3901.

Look at the 3pt hitch on the 2538 and be sure that it will work for you. IT IS NOT what it seems.

/ Comparing 1538 to 2538 is there any reason to choose the 1538? #7  
Look at the 3pt hitch on the 2538 and be sure that it will work for you. IT IS NOT what it seems.
Help me understand what that comment means. I think it's exactly what it seems to be, and functions just same way as the 3pt on my prior Max 25. Is there something specific you are unhappy with? What is it that you feel is missing? Thanks!

/ Comparing 1538 to 2538 is there any reason to choose the 1538? #8  
The L3901 was my other option. I compared and contrasted both and simply found the Mahindra to be a lot more tractor for less money. The 3901 is very nice, smooth, and refined, but for all of the heavy loader work I needed to do, I was drawn to the beefy Mahindra and it's larger front footprint and more weight.

The cost was better at least for me, and not having a DPF burning under the hood was a huge plus for the 2538. There are some really good discussions in a "Tier 4" thread to help you decide what works best for you regarding the new Tier 4 engines.

Each of the three tractors mentioned will put a huge smile on your face. Both Mahindra and Kubota produce high quality machines. How do the dealers and service departments compare? In my case the dealers were equidistant, but Mahindra gave me the time of day and they were 100 times more helpful.

Perhaps take a trip to each dealer and put about 15 minutes on each machine to get a feel. Then walk the service department and ask those guys what the skinny is. Typically a dozen donuts will get you VIP access and a backstage pass.

Good luck. So much fun to be making this decision where there is no wrong answer!

/ Comparing 1538 to 2538 is there any reason to choose the 1538? #9  
Help me understand what that comment means. I think it's exactly what it seems to be, and functions just same way as the 3pt on my prior Max 25. Is there something specific you are unhappy with? What is it that you feel is missing? Thanks!

I do not have a 2538, but have looked at them extensively and should have one in my yard in the next week or two for proto typing. The top link is only able to be used in the top pin location and have full range of motion. If you do not need full range of motion with an implement, then maybe some of the other locations will work for you, such as a post hole digger.

A lot, if not most people do not use all the different locations, but if you are a person that understands what the pin location differences provide and make use of that, then you are in trouble with the 2538.

Makes no difference to me, just stating a fact that most people including the dealers are not aware of.

/ Comparing 1538 to 2538 is there any reason to choose the 1538? #10  
I do not have a 2538, but have looked at them extensively and should have one in my yard in the next week or two for proto typing. The top link is only able to be used in the top pin location and have full range of motion. If you do not need full range of motion with an implement, then maybe some of the other locations will work for you, such as a post hole digger.

A lot, if not most people do not use all the different locations, but if you are a person that understands what the pin location differences provide and make use of that, then you are in trouble with the 2538.

Makes no difference to me, just stating a fact that most people including the dealers are not aware of.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I am not sure how that works. Are you talking about possibly rubbing on the PTO shield if using some weird implement with an extremely low top link connection? That is a minor deal and I highly doubt that would be an issue for me. Sure I have only used a cutter and a box blade, so my experience is limited, but I think I can also use the Landscape rake and Stump grinder I am planning on getting as well. (Even in the lower positions to angle things forward if need be... Now if I had some weird implement with very low top link mount, I suppose it might bump the PTO shroud a bit when using the lowest setting, (because that shroud is huge), but I can't imagine that scenario for my uses. Top links will always go up higher for my uses. And also note that the PTO shroud is notched to allow for use of that lower pin setting.

I THINK I understand the Post Hole Digger comment in that you need the link and PTO shaft to follow the auger down into the dirt. Could that not be a scenario where you use a middle or top hole on the 2538? Or worst case scenario, perhaps this is a money making opportunity for you and you can make a very simple bracket that 2538 owners could buy from you in order to use a one off implement that needed more height for the top pin location? (PM for for address to send royalty checks...) :p

Here are a couple pics. Still not sure why you believe the 2538 is disadvantaged here as it still appears to be exactly what it seems to me at least, but I am willing to learn if you can point me to a few good examples where it might fall short. Thanks!

Full view

3pt large.jpg

Zoomed in a bit

3 pt zoom.jpg