MF1533 no-start condition - need some suggestions

/ MF1533 no-start condition - need some suggestions #1  

EdGooding

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 Massey-Ferguson MF-1533, 1973 Ford 3000, 1952 Ford 8N
I've got a 2006 MF-1533 with FEL that I bought new. It only has 358 hours on it. Shed kept. I use it for variety of utility and gardening needs. Started it up the other day and drove it up to the house. Turned it off to run inside and get some water and pay some old water back :))). Came out and she won't start. Engine cranks over fine, but she will not start. After reading threads here and talking to some knowledgeable folks in my area, I decided to replace the stop (fuel shut-off) solenoid. Got it from Agco - Woodward solenoid with new gasket - same as came out of it. No joy. These are fun to install blind with big hands and a loader arm in your way.....NOT!

Decided to bleed the fuel system - had plenty of fresh fuel in it, so wasn't sure about this, but figured WTH and I loosened the three fitting nuts circled in red in the attached photo. Had the farm boss turn the key. I was expecting fuel to shoot out of the pump but hardly got any fuel out at all....just some dribbles. Retightened the three fitting nuts, tried to start again but no joy.

The fuel filter is new (still red), the fuel bowl has some discoloration on the bottom, but nothing floating in the fuel. The valve lever is turned ON.

I charged the battery, although it is fairly new, to make sure it was fully charged.

At this point, I'm stumped. I'm a half-decent shade tree mechanic on gasoline engines, but this is my first diesel so I'm fairly ignorant about them. But, I can follow directions and have the service manual. I need some suggestions from those more experienced than I.

The bolt circled in green - is that the bleed screw for the pump? The service manual says to bleed the pump and filter once the injector lines are bled.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips.

Attachments

• Close-up of fuel lines at pump.jpg
    Close-up of fuel lines at pump.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 944
   / MF1533 no-start condition - need some suggestions #2  
Did you check fuse schedule and see if theres a stop solonoid fuse. Ive had issues like this in past.

/ MF1533 no-start condition - need some suggestions
Did you check fuse schedule and see if theres a stop solonoid fuse. Ive had issues like this in past.

I have not! Will do so in the morning. It's a separate 40a up by the battery if memory serves. Will report back then. Thank you!

/ MF1533 no-start condition - need some suggestions #4  
What about all the safety interlocks such as: seat switch, neutral gear shifter position, PTO engaged?

This might sound like a stupid question but are you sure the tank is not close to empty?

Let us know what you find and good luck.

What about all the safety interlocks such as: seat switch, neutral gear shifter position, PTO engaged?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the safety interlocks is that, if any are engaged, you cannot even crank the engine - a key turn will turn on dash lights but not crank the engine. Is this not true? If not, I'll start checking them today if the rain stops. Thanks!

Yes, fuel tank was half full, but I filled it to the top to start bleeding the system yesterday. Took 4.5 gallons to fill completely to the cap, so there was more than that in the tank.

Last edited:
   / MF1533 no-start condition - need some suggestions #6  
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the safety interlocks is that, if any are engaged, you cannot even crank the engine - a key turn will turn on dash lights but not crank the engine. Is this not true? If not, I'll start checking them today if the rain stops. Thanks!

Yes, fuel tank was half full, but I filled it to the top to start bleeding the system yesterday. Took 4.5 gallons to fill completely to the cap, so there was more than that in the tank.

I know on my New Holland there are conditions where it will just crank because the fuel solenoid is not energized.

I'm not sure about your Massey tractor, hopefully someone with an electrical understanding on it specifically will chime in.

Checked the two 40a fuses and they were good. Rebled the fuel system today (including pump) and still no start. Frustrating!!! I'm wondering if the pump has gone south, but it only has 358 hours on it.... At this point, I'm not sure what to check next. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm baffled, for sure. The one thing that keeps nagging at me is that, when I loosened the 3 fittings for the fuel lines to the injectors and had my better half crank the engine, I was expecting fuel to shoot out and it only dribbled - this just seems wrong to me but I don't know for sure. It's what is making me question whether the fuel pump has gone south on me, but I don't know how to test the existing one.

/ MF1533 no-start condition - need some suggestions #9  
I'm baffled, for sure. The one thing that keeps nagging at me is that, when I loosened the 3 fittings for the fuel lines to the injectors and had my better half crank the engine, I was expecting fuel to shoot out and it only dribbled - this just seems wrong to me but I don't know for sure. It's what is making me question whether the fuel pump has gone south on me, but I don't know how to test the existing one.

Not a mechanic, just thinking out loud...

Could also be a clog in the fuel line, can you disconnect the fuel line right at the pump? If you get nothing out of the pump, could you jump the power supply to the pump? That would eliminate any safety switch involvement.

Not a mechanic, just thinking out loud...

Could also be a clog in the fuel line, can you disconnect the fuel line right at the pump? If you get nothing out of the pump, could you jump the power supply to the pump? That would eliminate any safety switch involvement.

Heck, I'll give it a try tomorrow. At this point, I'm grasping at straws and will try anything. Thank you!