Grapple Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid?

/ Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid? #51  
cricketman, you'll be just fine with that grapple.

As far as serving up the 3rd function, well... are you ready for another can of worms? :laughing: (plenty of threads of people doing it various ways; explains the pluses and minuses)

/ Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid? #52  

The pict. you show, is of a bucket dumping "dirt"... Mine won't hold water either. lol

That's 1. thing I can't do with my pallet forks/grapple, but you don't have a dedicated grapple, you have a bucket with a grapple...

I thought were comparing my combo to a dedicated grapple ?, yes, no?

SR

/ Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid? #53  
The pict. you show, is of a bucket dumping "dirt"... Mine won't hold water either. lol

That's 1. thing I can't do with my pallet forks/grapple, but you don't have a dedicated grapple, you have a bucket with a grapple...

I thought were comparing my combo to a dedicated grapple ?, yes, no?

SR

There you go again Rob. :)

/ Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid? #54  
Txdon, as for raking, I can see you have never used a set of GOOD pallet forks... Keep in mind, mine aren't on one of my tinker toy tractors...

I list my tractors in the my avatar. Please list yours so we don't have to guess the size your tinker toy tractors are as opposed to your real tractors.

/ Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid? #55  
I have a double with an L shaped profile. Sometimes I wish it was more rake like except when I carry stuff and it works better at that than a more vertical curved tine rake. I thought about it some time before buying. You've had lots of input but I'll still give you mine. The reasons:

1. Less prone to warp / bend clamping irregular loads
2. Less breakage when clamping irregular piles of junk. If you break limbs they fall out and you have to go pick it up.
3. L shaped to ease carry junk
To each his own.

Mine is 7' and handles the JX95 instead of the other way around. I run it on the JCB 210S now and that is much more stable. I mostly move what I attack except for that 3 foot oak trunk.

I can't address your valve kit question. I make my own.

/ Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid? #56  
I found a "new to me" style of grapple tonight. It's a conforming grapple.

Bruce

/ Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid? #58  
I have a 60" single lid, full width grapple by Anbo with 6" teeth spacing. The steel is of importance, it's AR400 steel which makes it lighter yet much stronger. I've picked up stuff that puts ridiculous twisting forces that I thought would deform the teeth but it remained perfectly straight. Raking it using the top teeth is what this grapple is designed to do without damage to the cylinders.

My advice to you is to ask yourself what your grapple is expected to do for you. I needed mine to pick up slash piles (picks up EVERY branch) and move logs, sometimes from hard to reach locations so the AR400 steel comes in handy to bite a corner of the log for me to drag/position before picking it up squarely.

Don't choose based on price, choose the RIGHT grapple you need.

IMG_5649.JPG

/ Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid? #59  
Nice grapple, Aquamoose. Anbo was one of the grapples I considered. It was just too expensive to have my tractor trucked up to Colville. The Kubota dealer here in Spokane installed my Land Pride. I use mine for raking, moving chunks of pine trees, large rocks and sometimes brush. Hey, I even partially crushed my 'ol burn barrel the first time I moved it.

/ Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid?
I really appreciate all the thoughts & advice guys!

I decided on an EA 54" Single Lid Wicked Grapple, a Tach-All pin-on SSQA adapter from ATI, and the 3rd function valve kit from WR Long. EA said the grapple might take 2 weeks or so, but to my surprise (& great pleasure) it arrived in about 4 days! It looks awesome, but I'm still waiting for the other parts. The pin-on adapter should be here today, & hopefully the 3rd function valve kit will be here by tomorrow or Wed (ordered it through my local Kubota dealer just to give him a little business). If it all gets here before turkey day I should be grappling brush this coming weekend!

I will post pics once I have it all together.

Thanks again to all who offered their thoughts!!