Grapple Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid?

/ Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid? #41  
NOT exactly!

There are NOT "many" things that a dedicated grapple will do, that my pallet forks/grapple won't also do...

SR

I'm guessing raking might be one of the things you might not be able to do.

Attachments

• raking with grapple.jpg
    raking with grapple.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 183
   / Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid? #42  
txdon, yes! I was just going to mention this.

"Everything Attachments Wicked Root Grapple for Compact Tractors"

I have brush and roots to deal with. For ME I have a more limited reason to use pallet forks: I have a set of dedicated ones. My need to ferry around big logs is also limited: I don't have wide open spaces to be trying to navigate them in, in which case they pretty much have to be cut into more maneuverable lengths (but with my "system" for firewood collection I'm pretty much now cutting and spitting out in the field and then "stacking" in palletized cages- so, here would be a time that I'd look to use pallet forks; but at such points of work I wouldn't be out trying to do brush work).

It's nice that people can show how they manage to use tools, and to comment on how well it works for THEM, but claims of anything being the "best" should always be held to firm scrutiny (for there are too many variables to make such a claim).

/ Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid? #43  
Yes you can rake with them, just not as wide of a path...

Thing is, the pallet fork/grapple just does so much MORE, it isn't even funny.

I get it that everyone doesn't need to use a apple box to work out of, or move bales of hay, but the pallet fork/grapple, also just do so many more things too, that LOT'S of folks on this site also do. And, they just don't realize that that a grapple just won't do many of these same jobs.

I've used both a lot, so I'm not guessing here...

SR

/ Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid? #44  
Yes you can rake with them, just not as wide of a path...

Raking with a pallet fork????? Never had a rake with two teeth only, that would be more like plowing. I bet it would be hard to control the forks and they would tend to angle into the ground which would cause the tractor to stop or cause damage at that distance from the pivot points.

/ Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid? #45  
Well, that's one way to answer, when you can't "prove your point"...

All it would take is pictures... lol

SR

I've posted them several times Rob. You have selective viewing. :)

/ Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid? #46  
I've posted them several times Rob. You have selective viewing.

Everything I've seen, I've countered with pictures proving otherwise..... Perhaps you are skipping over them?? lol

Txdon, as for raking, I can see you have never used a set of GOOD pallet forks... Keep in mind, mine aren't on one of my tinker toy tractors...

Like I said, it will do it, just not as wide, even though the width is "adjustable"... AND adjustable is a very useful feature!

SR

/ Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid? #47  
Everything I've seen, I've countered with pictures proving otherwise..... Perhaps you are skipping over them?? lol

Txdon, as for raking, I can see you have never used a set of GOOD pallet forks... Keep in mind, mine aren't on one of my tinker toy tractors...

Like I said, it will do it, just not as wide, even though the width is "adjustable"... AND adjustable is a very useful feature!

SR

20151011_110730 (1280x720).jpg

/ Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid? #48  
Richard, the tractor shows up if you use "Full Size" instead of "Large":

20151011_110730 (1280x720).jpg

/ Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid? #49  
I have both (long story), a 48" Wildkat single-lid economy model and a 54" W. R. Long double lid. Both are great. Either one alone would definitely be sufficient for me. As noted above, on some loads the double lid secures the load better, but I use the 48" single lid more than the 54" double lid. The 48" single lid is lighter and it being more narrow makes the tractor more maneuverable with the 48" on than with the 54" on. Regardless of choice, a grapple is a great attachment. I have moved with the 48" grapple some piles of brush so large that I would have thought it impossible if I had not seen on this forum many photos of that kind of thing being done. Huge timesaver.

/ Grapple Advice: single lid or dual lid?
Man... I really appreciate all the responses and opinions.

Here's what I think I have learned (don't hesitate to disagree or even contradict if appropriate):

1) You TBN folks are very passionate about your toys! (er, I mean... "tools"). :)

2) As one poster said, opinions are indeed like butts - everyone has one - and I appreciate all of yours! (your OPINIONS, that is... NOT your, well... never mind....). :-O

3) I will love the SSQA system. (I plan to add an adapter plate to my bucket, and am already eyeing other tools I will probably want to acquire as time goes by (and money permits).

4) A grapple will be a great addition to my stable of implements, I will likely be quite content with whatever I wind up choosing, and will probably wish I'd gotten one years ago.

5) For a tractor the size of my L4310 (or any size perhaps), a lighter grapple is better (assuming it's built strong ENOUGH, of course) to minimize the amount of lift capacity you give up by having the grapple. (In my case this will be pretty important as I expect before it's all over I will add an SSQA adapter to my smaller L2850 & want to use the grapple on it some as well.)

6) For my use, I may be happier with a slightly narrower grapple than a wider one, but will prob want it to be as wide as the front tire width.

7) For my use, I think I am leaning towards a single lid - slightly lighter (and ever so slightly cheaper), but primarily I think I like the idea of having a gripping point right in the center of the grapple. I can see myself wanting to grab long trees/logs by one end and dragging them backwards, I think I want to have this load gripped right in the center of the grapple rather than offset to one side. For me, I think the center-grip feature is more desirable than the dual-gripping-point ability.

8) So finally... THE WINNER IS - I think I will probably wind up going with the EA Wicked Grapple, Single Lid, 54".

The decision is not 100% final yet (so feel free to keep this thread alive - I really enjoy reading/learning!), but that's probably where I think I'll wind up.

I also would like advice on the 3rd function hydraulic valve kit, and the pin-on SSQA attachment to go on the tractor - are there certain manufacturers/brands of either that are notably better than others, or are they pretty generic?

Any thoughts on that here are appreciated, or... should I post those questions in another thread (or two others)?

Again, THANK YOU to all who have weighed in - I really appreciate your thoughts!

(This TBN place is GREAT!!) :)