Buying Advice The Standard Question

/ The Standard Question #11  
Verify the style of loader quick connect. When I was looking at JD CUTs they used a proprietary quick attach. Not a deal breaker but not the "standard" SSQA either. Just understand that as you narrow things down. I wouldn't buy one without some type of quick attach as it seems folks are making more attachments every day!

/ The Standard Question #12  
Might also look at PowerTrack machines. If there is a dealer nearby they might fit your needs better.

/ The Standard Question #14  
Verify the style of loader quick connect. When I was looking at JD CUTs they used a proprietary quick attach. Not a deal breaker but not the "standard" SSQA either. Just understand that as you narrow things down. I wouldn't buy one without some type of quick attach as it seems folks are making more attachments every day!

They have the "standard" JDQA... all you need do is get your FEL implements with that configuration (and there is a JD adaption to SSQA). As the acronym says, the SSQA is for Skid Steers. It is very robust because a Skid Steer requires it for the work that it does. Other OEM tractor FEL QAs are just as fine as the FEL is a secondary function/attachment to what a tractor really is designed to do.

Attachments

• standards.jgp.png
    standards.jgp.png
    24 KB · Views: 141
   / The Standard Question #16  
Okay, as far as SCUT goes, I'm super n00b! I've had a 42 inch garden tractor for mowing and that's all....

After 14 years of mowing my lawn with a patched together yardman tractor, my wife made a suggestion that I look at something that is a little beefier and might help me with the heavier tasks of our property. We have an acre with about a 50/50 between lawn and wooded areas. I do much of the tree cutting myself (a ton of Virginia scrub pine that's got to go) and then there's underbrush and general upkeep to consider. Also have some yard landscaping I've been putting off due to labor to complete.

Not as young as I once was, and the tractor she saw on a commercial caught her eye (drive over JD, probably a X700 series). She knew I had difficulty with the way the mower deck on the old tractor attached to the system, making maintenance a nightmare. She heard me cuss the thing out over the years, normally on cold rainy days trying to get the unit operating properly.

So, since she's encouraging, and I'm not the young buck I once was, I'm all ears.

I've looked at the specs and have quotes for the following:

JD 1023E with FEL and 54 to 60 inch deck. Drive over preferred but as long as it's not painful to remove and maintain, I'm not married to the idea.
MF 1705 with FEL and 54 to 60 inch deck. 54 inch deck allows for mulching but is not drive over, 60 inch deck is drive over installation. Again, not married to the idea of drive over. Do like the idea of mulching.

From what I've been reading it looks like it's a "what fits you best / test drive" kind of question. Warranties are both similar and I can't find reviews that make one outshine the others. I did test drive a 1705 and it was damned easy to operate. I will test drive the JD 1023E soon.

Quotes have the MF about $1200 cheaper than the JD. But I'm not afraid to spend the extra if the 1023 will last longer. Also interested in how 3rd party implements interact with each unit. Are they generic or must you have the JD or MF item to have it work properly??

Your kind assistance is appreciated. Thanks much.

By the way.... Welcome to TBN! :thumbsup:

/ The Standard Question #17  
They have the "standard" JDQA... all you need do is get your FEL implements with that configuration (and there is a JD adaption to SSQA). As the acronym says, the SSQA is for Skid Steers. It is very robust because a Skid Steer requires it for the work that it does. Other OEM tractor FEL QAs are just as fine as the FEL is a secondary function/attachment to what a tractor really is designed to do.

I'd buy this if most everyone else wasn't using SSQA. Most aftermarket items are SSQA and if you find yourself in a situation to rent or borrow an attachment it's probably SSQA. I've never said one is better than anther or stronger than another- I've never seen that data published by JD or anyone else.
The OP is looking to buy a machine and is seeking knowledge- we've all been there. But implying that their is 15 standards and the SSQA is somehow not used by most other manufacturers seems misleading. And saying it's for skid steers is disingenuous. The idea may have started in the skid steer world but it has been widely accepted in the SCUT and CUT world.

I appreciate that you are a JD guy- it's obvious

/ The Standard Question #18  
If it were my money JD wouldn't even be in the equation. I would be looking at Kubota or MF.. maybe Mahindra. But it is your money so buy what you will drive in your garage and feel good about. JD isn't a bad tractor at all. Just over priced for a lesser tractor IMO.

JD guys may argue that, I won't argue that point, I already know. Green paint = less tractor for more $$$$. Most of the guys on this site know that. Some still do not.

However, I should add.. when it comes to resale I want my paint to be green or :eek:range

/ The Standard Question #19  
I'd buy this if most everyone else wasn't using SSQA. Most aftermarket items are SSQA and if you find yourself in a situation to rent or borrow an attachment it's probably SSQA. I've never said one is better than anther or stronger than another- I've never seen that data published by JD or anyone else.
The OP is looking to buy a machine and is seeking knowledge- we've all been there. But implying that their is 15 standards and the SSQA is somehow not used by most other manufacturers seems misleading. And saying it's for skid steers is disingenuous. The idea may have started in the skid steer world but it has been widely accepted in the SCUT and CUT world.

I appreciate that you are a JD guy- it's obvious

I deleted my first response to your post, Mate. If you received it as an email notice, please disregard.

The cartoon was humour... but good humour does have some truth in it.

/ The Standard Question
Looked at the Power Trac site a while back. While I thought the pricing and idea are neat, not having a dealer network and the fact that all the toys are proprietary put me off. I like the 3 point hitch and now that someone here mentioned the SSQA I may have to ask what the DL100 versus the DL95 loader cost difference is. I will ask about those features when I test drive the JD.

Thanks for all the good advice. I was just hoping there was a clear winner when it came to quality. Looks like the SCUT units are on equal footing in that arena. Doesn't make the choice any easier.