Buying Advice The Standard Question

/ The Standard Question #1  

tractormonkey21144

Tractor
none yet
Okay, as far as SCUT goes, I'm super n00b! I've had a 42 inch garden tractor for mowing and that's all....

After 14 years of mowing my lawn with a patched together yardman tractor, my wife made a suggestion that I look at something that is a little beefier and might help me with the heavier tasks of our property. We have an acre with about a 50/50 between lawn and wooded areas. I do much of the tree cutting myself (a ton of Virginia scrub pine that's got to go) and then there's underbrush and general upkeep to consider. Also have some yard landscaping I've been putting off due to labor to complete.

Not as young as I once was, and the tractor she saw on a commercial caught her eye (drive over JD, probably a X700 series). She knew I had difficulty with the way the mower deck on the old tractor attached to the system, making maintenance a nightmare. She heard me cuss the thing out over the years, normally on cold rainy days trying to get the unit operating properly.

So, since she's encouraging, and I'm not the young buck I once was, I'm all ears.

I've looked at the specs and have quotes for the following:

JD 1023E with FEL and 54 to 60 inch deck. Drive over preferred but as long as it's not painful to remove and maintain, I'm not married to the idea.
MF 1705 with FEL and 54 to 60 inch deck. 54 inch deck allows for mulching but is not drive over, 60 inch deck is drive over installation. Again, not married to the idea of drive over. Do like the idea of mulching.

From what I've been reading it looks like it's a "what fits you best / test drive" kind of question. Warranties are both similar and I can't find reviews that make one outshine the others. I did test drive a 1705 and it was damned easy to operate. I will test drive the JD 1023E soon.

Quotes have the MF about $1200 cheaper than the JD. But I'm not afraid to spend the extra if the 1023 will last longer. Also interested in how 3rd party implements interact with each unit. Are they generic or must you have the JD or MF item to have it work properly??

Your kind assistance is appreciated. Thanks much.

/ The Standard Question #2  
Regarding your question about implements.....

The mower deck (called a Mid Mount Mower or MMM) is going to be brand specific. So if you have the JD you need the JD MMM.

Other attachments will not be brand specific.

For example on both tractors you have a 3 point hitch and PTO on the rear. There are TONS of 3rd party items that can attach there and do work for you.

I know the JD has a quick attach bucket. You can get an attachment that will allow you to use Skid Steer Quick Attach (SSQA) implements. This is useful.

Go drive the JD. I have driven both of those units and the JD makes the MF look like a toy in my opinion.

I ended up with New Holland for a host of reason that may not be that important to you.

/ The Standard Question #3  
"From what I've been reading it looks like it's a "what fits you best / test drive" kind of question."

Between these two, that pretty much sums it up. When you get into the higher dollar model SCUTS like 1025R, newly introduced BX80 Series etc., there are more differences in features.

/ The Standard Question #4  
The biggest difference you will pay for, involves hydraulics and controls.

Set down with a salesman and determine your needs for your duty list. Have them help inform you on what options you will need and get a quote.

I only takes about 10min of a salesman's time to configure pricing and print an invoice.

Pick a place to start, and then compare the prices. When you're done, drive both brands/models and see which one suits your wants and budget best.

JD has decent serviceability... but I usually find Kubota to have the best operational comfort and dependability. The only exception I've found to this, is JD's 4-way joystick FEL control seems to be slightly more ergonomic... but I haven't operated the new Kubota BX80 series yet.

/ The Standard Question #5  
Don't let the drive over deck be a selling point if you're getting a FEL. Just pick front of tractor up with the loader.

/ The Standard Question #6  
I believe a mid mounted mower is more trouble than its worth. A good rear finish mower does the same job. I have both. The MMM sits in a corner in the shed.

That being said, I suggest that you can't really sit down and define your needs because having the base machine gives you so many more unforseen capabilities that it will boggle your mind. Post hole diggers, wood chippers, gravel, rock and mulch movers, leaf suckers and blowers, snow plow or blower, trailer mover, home emergency power, helping neighbors, and cutting grass, collecting firewood. There's probably some new stuff coming that no one has yet thought of. (Wings and a prop off the PTO to fly your machine on weekends ???). A loader might be your best first requirement, one that comes on and off easily. Maybe even a roof in case its raining or snowing hard. Then a mower wide enough to be effiicient yet fits in a storage space. You get the idea. Also one that your wife will be comfortable with fueling, operating and setting up attachments. Those days will come.

/ The Standard Question #7  
drive over mower is nice - they weigh about 500 plus lbs - so scooting one over that much under a tractor - no way. scooting generally is a bear but doable and fine-tuning it once under can be difficult or not bad - depending.

go for it. i have both because of my layout and all of the trees and landscaping. but the mmm deck heleped me a number of times when the other pooped out. but i cannot get in all the places i need to with the big tractor so hence the 24 hp husqvarna. also tows my 17 cu ft trailer too.

but the 2 big areas that mmm helps vs. pushing a push mower around.

/ The Standard Question #8  
If you are in fairly good condition, the drive over, self connecting deck is no big deal, but as time passes, it get to be pretty nice.

As to the MMM vs 3PH, to each his/her on, my 3PH finish mower has been in the shed for years and much prefer the MMM.

/ The Standard Question #9  
I was in your same position a few months ago. Final two choices came down to JD or MF. The MF had a slightly larger platform that is more comfortable for me. Also was slightly less expensive. I also upgraded from a 3PH finish mower to a MMM. I like looking down at the mower instead of over my shoulder. I have not had the mower off yet but I will probably not drive over it, just lift the front end and slide it on the concrete drive.

/ The Standard Question #10  
There's probably some new stuff coming that no one has yet thought of. (Wings and a prop off the PTO to fly your machine on weekends ???).

Already thought of. :)

Helicub.jpg

Bruce