Another child on tractor accident

/ Another child on tractor accident #11  
Quote from the article: "There was really no way to prevent it. There was nothing that could've been done to avoid it."

That's so untrue. It would have easily been prevented/avoided had the child not been in the tractor to start with. Wonder if the little boy having some fun was worth it now?

I know there have been umpteen threads on this forum about children and tractors and everyone has their opinion. My opinion is that kids don't belong on tractors.
I would venture to say way more kids are killed in or by vehicles every year than tractors. Would you say kids don't belong in vehicles?

/ Another child on tractor accident #12  
Quote from the article: "There was really no way to prevent it. There was nothing that could've been done to avoid it."

That's so untrue. It would have easily been prevented/avoided had the child not been in the tractor to start with. Wonder if the little boy having some fun was worth it now?

I know there have been umpteen threads on this forum about children and tractors and everyone has their opinion. My opinion is that kids don't belong on tractors.

Wonder if it was worth it now?? Dude that is seriously out of line.

In this situation a bystander could have just as easily been the one hurt with flying debris. This is not a typical accident.

/ Another child on tractor accident #13  
So... When is a person old enough to be on a tractor? 16? No - still a kid. 18? So - not a moment on a tractor until the age of 18, I guess. How in the heck can you learn something if you don't start until you are grown? Terribly tragic that it happened to this youngster, but it doesn't sound like negligence is to blame. I think it's fantastic that grandpas and little guys spend time together like this. My brother and I worked with my dad and granddad in a business that was inherently dangerous. We started around 12 years old. Dad always stressed safety first in everything we did. We all have all our fingers and toes. Yes, we did have a few injuries but none with lasting effects. I would not trade the memories of working with Granddad - died in '95 - and Dad - age 78. And the lessons we learned have stayed with us to this day. Brother still works in the business and is successful and well respected in the local area.

My boys - 8 and 7 - ride dirtbikes and have recently started operating SCUTS. They receive constant supervision and operate in safe locations and on even ground. I believe that my safety aboard a tractor is 99% due to the education I received from learning at a young age. My boys also have BB guns and are learning responsible handling of a 'firearm' at their ages. They display judgement that exceeds their years. I believe it is due to our trust in them and their understanding that they have privileges that require responsibility. The future will see them learn to fell a tree with a chainsaw and to split wood with a splitter and by hand.

No one loves their kids more than I, and no one will pay more attention to their safety. I think it is only right and responsible to expose kids to things early and in a controlled fashion with supervision. Much better than turning them loose in the real world at age 18 and hoping for the best.

Well, I got on quite a little rant there, DIDN'T I???

/ Another child on tractor accident #14  
I couldn't imagine, such a sad story.

If I were to chose my last moments on earth it would be doing something I love and enjoy. Hanging out with grandpa making memories riding in a tractor would be a good ending. With how fast that spring was going to make it threw both windows, would have been a quick lights out in the middle of a happy memory.

My thoughts and prayers are for his family.

/ Another child on tractor accident #15  
Wonder if it was worth it now?? Dude that is seriously out of line.

In this situation a bystander could have just as easily been the one hurt with flying debris. This is not a typical accident.

I disagree here. The question/statement was not out of line. I think its a very important question that should be asked after any accident. For those involved, now is the time for grieving. For the rest of us, its time for reflection, time to ask questions. Was there something inappropriate going on? Was the victim unnecessarily put into harms way? Would a reasonable person have seen the potential danger? You can't protect against all "what iffs", but you can protect against "likely to happen".

My initial impression is that a reasonable person would not have expected this accident. If there was a reasonable probability that debris would penetrate the cab with sufficient force to injur/kill a person, I know I wouldn't get in the drivers seat, let alone let my kids next to me....

/ Another child on tractor accident #16  
If there was a reasonable probability that debris would penetrate the cab with sufficient force to injur/kill a person, I know I wouldn't get in the drivers seat, let alone let my kids next to me....

Every time you get behind the wheel of an automobile you risk being killed. Not only by your driving but by someone else's, drunk driver, texting driver, not paying attention driver. We can't sit at home in a glass box and point fingers. Accidents happen and we will all die from something. Just be prepared for where you want to spend eternity.

/ Another child on tractor accident #17  

That is so out of line and irrational.
I am sorry for the family at their tragic loss.
I am sorry for you and your cold blooded heart.

/ Another child on tractor accident #18  
Every time you get behind the wheel of an automobile you risk being killed. Not only by your driving but by someone else's, drunk driver, texting driver, not paying attention driver. We can't sit at home in a glass box and point fingers. Accidents happen and we will all die from something. Just be prepared for where you want to spend eternity.

Maybe I worded that sentence poorly, but I was trying to state that when the chances are low (although not zero), you can't let the "what iffs" stop you from living life. At some point though, the probability of an accident leading to injury or death increases tot he point where a reasonable person should/would stop....people have different thresholds...and with hindsight, it is fair and reasonable to question the situation.

/ Another child on tractor accident #19  
Maybe I worded that sentence poorly, but I was trying to state that when the chances are low (although not zero), you can't let the "what iffs" stop you from living life. At some point though, the probability of an accident leading to injury or death increases tot he point where a reasonable person should/would stop....people have different thresholds...and with hindsight, it is fair and reasonable to question the situation.

In this case, let's just say how many cabbed tractors are rolling around with new glass do to anything other than operation error?

Not many, injury from disking a field is much less than being in a airplane crash I bet.

Ride alongs are common, most larger tractors have a buddy seat for this reason.

/ Another child on tractor accident #20  
In this case, let's just say how many cabbed tractors are rolling around with new glass do to anything other than operation error?

Not many, injury from disking a field is much less than being in a airplane crash I bet.

Ride alongs are common, most larger tractors have a buddy seat for this reason.

Not sure where the disconnect here is. Maybe you didn't read my entire first post, or didn't understand it...or maybe I didn't explain myself well....but seems like you are arguing with me, but in reality, I think we agree....this was an unexpected/unpredictable accident...