Oil & Fuel oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #1  

OC3

Tractor
yanmar 135D and Kubota L3710
My oil pressure light takes 15 seconds or so to go out when starting cold on 135d, was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and solved it? Warm weather is much better, tractor has clean oil (Delvac 1 5-40 and new filter) and once running no other issues, just seems like to long for light to go out compared to other diesels I use. Have replaced oil pressure valve and sending unit no difference. Engine has low hours, using decompression lever and cranking engine takes several times to get light off. Crankcase is clean and I don't believe it is a pump problem. It seems like an issue of oil filter draining out and having to refill after sitting a day or two, if it is started within hours of being run previously light goes out right away. Have tried yanmar filters and napa both have same issue. Does this sound reasonable? Considering installing an oil accumulator unless someone has other suggestions. Thanks

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #2  
"just seems like to long"

is the problem.

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #3  
Try cranking using the decompression lever pulled out.
Keep it pulled while the engine is still turning over. Never let off the starter..... When the light goes out , push in on the lever, and the engine starts. See how this method works out.

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #4  
My YM240 is similar, over 10 seconds if it hasn't been used for a day or so. I think so long as you crank it with the compression released until the light goes out, its harmless.

You might put a pressure gauge on it to verify the oil pressure while running. That's what's important, not the pressure during pre-start cranking with compression released.

Note this cranking is also heating the Thermostart (depending if has that jumper on the ignition switch) so a separate Thermostart cycle after this cranking may be unnecessary.

Don't worry about it.

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #5  
I believe the 135's have a history of low oil pressure. How many hours is low hours?

I would sure use the decompression and starter to get some oil moving before blast off. Just my :2cents:.

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d
I believe the 135's have a history of low oil pressure. How many hours is low hours?

I would sure use the decompression and starter to get some oil moving before blast off. Just my :2cents:.

The tractor probably has about 250 hrs on it. It is in like new condition, great little tractor except for this one issue. Thanks for the replies.

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #7  
Not impossible but 250 hours on a tractor manufactured in 1979 would be a little over 9 hours a year. Got any pictures?

Not impossible but 250 hours on a tractor manufactured in 1979 would be a little over 9 hours a year. Got any pictures?

Yes it is low hours, tractor was not used much before I bought it. 20160326-_DSC2266.JPG

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #9  
Wow, that picture would indicate she has lived indoors. Looks show room condition. :thumbsup:

Wow, that picture would indicate she has lived indoors. Looks show room condition. :thumbsup:

Thanks Winston, I guess for the time being I will continue as kenmac suggested as that is what I usually do. I did order some new filters from Hoye to try I'll see if they make any difference. Thanks for the replies and you folks all have a nice Christmas.