Oil & Fuel oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #21  
Yes Napa filter is what is on the tractor now and that is the one that is draining down. I am hoping the Hoye filters are better in that respect.

Assuming you are using the Napa 1064. Shows to have an anti drain back valve. Part Details

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d
Assuming you are using the Napa 1064. Shows to have an anti drain back valve. Part Details

The filter on my tractor is a Napa 1568 which is also listed as having a drainback valve, I believe it is a little longer than the 1064. I would be better off with the shorter filter,it wouldn't take as long to fill up (less starter cranking) as the longer one. Thank you winston1 for the filter specs.

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #23  
make sure your sending unit is working correctly. I had an issue with my oil light coming on at times while using the tractor. I replaced the sending unit, and no more problems

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #24  
I have been using Fram PH3593A for Yrs.. Been very satisfied with them. You can look at the break down of them by clicking on the +'s....
Extra Guard Oil Filter | FRAM

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #25  
make sure your sending unit is working correctly. I had an issue with my oil light coming on at times while using the tractor. I replaced the sending unit, and no more problems

That's why it is always useful to install additional gauge to double the measurements.

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #26  

Been using the WIX 51064, (NAPA 1064), filter for 16 years, after sitting for 6 months over winter oil light goes out in 3 seconds.

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #27  
Discussion of oil filters is endless. I'll start by saying Yanmar seems to use the common Subaru/Honda filter mounting. But then there have been improvements in specs since the 1980's when our Yanmars were built.

Fredricks etc catalog lists '1334' for their oil filter so I'm guessing it is equivalent to a Wix 1334 / NAPA 51334.

Here's a comment I found re 1334 and later improved equivalents. I think this represents current thinking on the subject. It's in a reply on this site:

=======
"We found that the best filter to use on Subarus is the one specified for the 2009+ Mazda RX-8. It is 100% compatible with the Subaru thread pitch and has both a better filtration media spec and larger oil capacity by several ounces.

The older style large Subaru filters are still available from Blank as well, but the filter media spec is actually inferior to the new Subaru filter. The filter media area is larger so it has more capacity for dirt and will last longer, but the new smaller filter does a better job of filtering when new.

3.194″ height
3.252″ diameter
0.45 quarts based on exterior dimensions, but probably only holds closer to 0.40 quarts
Beta 2 test: 50% of >=22 micron particles captured 1st pass
Beta 20 test: 95% of >=40 micron particles captured 1st pass
Standard OEM size for older 4-cylinder and all 6-cylinders; won't fit most newer 4-cylinders due to updated exhaust system
Has more oil capacity than 51365
OK filtration.

2.577″ height
2.685 diameter
0.25 quarts based on exterior dimensions but probably only holds closer to 0.20 quarts
Beta 2 test: 50% of >=15 micron particles captured 1st pass
Beta 20 test: 95% of >=22 micron particles captured 1st pass
Standard size for newer 4-cylinders.
Good filtration.

51356/57356
3.402″ height
2.685″ diameter
0.33 quarts based on dimensions, but probably holds closer to 0.25 quarts
Beta 2 test: 50% of >=6 micron particles captured 1st pass
Beta 20 test: 95% of >=19 micron particles captured 1st pass
Not a standard size for Subaru, but should fit all 4-cylinders and 6 cylinders. Installation may be a little more difficult on 6-cylinder due to the length.
Best filtration.
================

Note the later Subarus have an issue with the Catalytic Converter moved up closer to the exhaust manifold where it cooks the oil filter, apparently the reason for Subaru now standardizing on a smaller filter across all models including old models. We don't have that same need for a smaller filter. Seems to me larger is better (unless there is a mounting bracket in the way).

Personally I'll keep using the NAPA Gold 51334 but those improved filters might be worthwhile for someone running more hours/year. And on a cold start I'll always crank with compression released until the oil light goes out. That should overcome any issue with a drainback valve.

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #28  
I'd try a 5w30 diesel oil. Only place locally I can generally get it is at the VW dealership. They don't gouge. Just ask for the TDI oil (turbo diesel).

/ oil light on to long during cold start on ym135d #29  
Yes it is low hours, tractor was not used much before I bought it. View attachment 492583

That looks to be a blade from a Gravely tractor made to work. Solid units and it fits nicely. Just a bit to stick in your memory bank if you ever need a wear edge or other items for it.

**Just saw you have had a 5650 Gravely .. no doubt you know what you have there then!**