What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments??

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #11  
I bet you would be pleasantly surprised at the private party value of that truck esp if it is the LBZ motor (I think they dropped the LMM in 06 or so but I'm not a GM guru)
LBZ was only 06 and 07. In 07.5 they changed to the DPF motor.

I had a 05 and the 06 LBZ was so much better of a motor.

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #12  
Retiredguy, I'll give you $1000 over the dealers trade in sight un seen!:thumbsup:
We have a '00 Sub 3/4 that's entering stage 4 rust cancer:thumbdown: I ordered new.

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #13  
My '01 Jeep TJ (wrangler) I intend to drive for the rest of my natural life. It is paid for and that is THE very best vehicle for me.

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #14  
I just had my 1999 Silverado inspected on Tuesday,,,

He said I will need rear pads soon,,, the fronts are fine,,, 174,650 miles on the originals,,,

9_zps3562a24a.jpg

Should I replace the pads,, or replace the truck? :confused2:

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #15  
Does a diesel that doesn't use the extra fluid still have a similar DPF to one that does?

Just spent 2 Grand on Front Wheel Bearings, a glow plug and oil change. I used to buy used cop cars for that kind of money. Oh, and they fixed a small fuel leak n/c.

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #16  
There does come a point where new is cheaper than repairing. In the rust belt after 15-20 years there is nothing much left to repair as the vehicle has mostly corroded away. Unless it has been oiled twice a year and thoroughly washed in every nook and cranny every spring.
I just put $2337 into a transmission and torque converter in the 2003 with 180,000 miles. It will never pay off or payback. Transfer case last year. The year before that an oil pump, water pump and harmonic balancer. It's on it's 3rd tailgate, should have been the 2nd if it wasn't for an idiot kid hauling stuff for a buddy. Just put front wheel bearings in it too come to think of it.
It needs both cab corners and both rockers at the moment.

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #17  
Wow, I put on atleast 20k a year on my vehicle and when it was a company vehicle I put on over 40k a year. Its a 2012 with 154,xxx on the clock right now. I'm going to have to trade it off within the next year or so! If you can afford a new vehicle and want one so be it. A vehicle is a terrible purchase decision but we all do it. I'd love to be able to keep a vehicle 10+ years but I drive far to many miles to do it!

Yeah, not picking on anyone, but a 17 year old vehicle with only 47K miles isn't a very good example for a debate about buying new or not. That's 7.5 miles per day. Not sure a middle aged or older guy can live long enough to wear that vehicle out. Assuming the vehicle has a 200K dependable lifespan, that's another 20,400 days or 55.9 years. :D

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #18  

He said I will need rear pads soon,,, the fronts are fine,,, 174,650 miles on the originals,,,

9_zps3562a24a.jpg

Try to find a 1999 here unless it is never winter driven. 15yr old vehicles here are scrapped because there is nothing left.

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #19  

9_zps3562a24a.jpg

Ya just gotta quit Armoralling the tires, that's so yesterday..... ;)

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #20  
HPIM0719.JPG
There does come a point where new is cheaper than repairing. In the rust belt after 15-20 years there is nothing much left to repair as the vehicle has mostly corroded away. Unless it has been oiled twice a year and thoroughly washed in every nook and cranny every spring.
I just put $2337 into a transmission and torque converter in the 2003 with 180,000 miles. It will never pay off or payback. Transfer case last year. The year before that an oil pump, water pump and harmonic balancer. It's on it's 3rd tailgate, should have been the 2nd if it wasn't for an idiot kid hauling stuff for a buddy. Just put front wheel bearings in it too come to think of it.
It needs both cab corners and both rockers at the moment.
I spray our cars/truck with oil once every year.
My 26 year old (190,000 miles) 1991 truck has been sprayed underneath with oil every year for the past 21 years I've owned it.
I live in Western, Pa. (plenty of salt and calcium on the roads here). No rust on my truck and it runs in the salt/snow every winter.
My sons 03 Malibu (no rust). My wife's 05 Subaru (no rust). I climb under and spray them all with oil every year.
Used fluid film for the first time under them this year.

Last edited: