What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments??

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #21  
Yeah, not picking on anyone, but a 17 year old vehicle with only 47K miles isn't a very good example for a debate about buying new or not. That's 7.5 miles per day. Not sure a middle aged or older guy can live long enough to wear that vehicle out. Assuming the vehicle has a 200K dependable lifespan, that's another 20,400 days or 55.9 years. :D

Sometimes the reason to get a new one is, "Just because I can and to keep the economy moving." I have an 02 Duramax dually GMC. Bought new and isn't worth that much anymore with 122k miles but I just love driving it. The wife has been hounding me to get a new one and generally I would jump on that opportunity, but I just can't bring myself to even shop for one.

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #22  
Yup, the question of when to replace in some areas is not so much about use, or mileage, but rather when it rots apart and isn't safe anymore, or has so many things going wrong due to rust and corrosion that you just can't keep up.

When I lived in MI, I had a '98 Sonoma Highrider that I sold in '04 because it was starting to rust pretty good at the tailgate and bottom of the doors. It was very dependable with 120k miles on it, but I was worried that in another winter of rusting, its value would have been a lot less. I replaced it with a '96 K2500 6.2L/5 speed with 190k that I bought for cash. It was a bit beat, but a good truck, and that's all I wanted. By the time I got rid of it four years later, it was a rusty mess, with the rockers pretty much gone, though it was still a dependable truck with 290k miles on it.

I replaced the '96 with an '06 Duramax that my uncle had used as his company vehicle. (Oil field business.) It had had a plow and salt spreader at one time, and was a rusty mess underneath, but it cleaned up well. I owned that truck for not quite a year before I sold it to some truck place in WI.

I escaped the rust problem when I left the rust belt... I bought the rust free '06 GMC Duramax that I have now from ND in Sept 2009. I lived in MI though that winter, but I only drove it when the roads were clear, and I washed it REALLY good underneath if I did drive it. Spring, 2010, I moved to CO, then to NM in 2014. That truck now has 240k miles (and ~8000 hours!) on it, and no more rust than the day I bought it. I finished payments in 2012. Since then I've put an alternator on it, and a set of tie rod ends and steering/pitman arms. Oh, and I did the brakes at 220k miles because I had them on a shelf and was tired of moving them... Of course it gets tires when it needs them, and lots of fuel, but it gets 20mpg, fits me, and I like it. I don't care for styling on anything newer, so this is my truck until I wreck it, or die... ??

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments??
You are not the norm. We put 30,000 miles a year on our vehicles and most people I know average about 15,000 miles a year. You average 2,700 miles.

The answer is we just plain wear them out.

For me and my family it's about reliability. I have no issue with a vehicle with say 200,000 miles which for us is 6 years of ownership. For you it would take 70 plus years.

You are just not the norm. For the rest of us it's part of life and our family budget!

Respectfully saying here I am NOT THE NORM. Yes I agree....the thing is, I had the truck Ziebarted when new...it is used ONLY for towing and pulling a trailer. Tell us why you put 30,000 miles a year on a vehicle...? BINGO. Don't you get to write off some of that 30.000 miles a year? My wife is still working full time but only puts 11,000 miles a year on her Equinox. How can anyone manage to put 30,000 miles a year on a vehicle? MUST BE NICE to have that kind of money to blow.

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #24  
Does a diesel that doesn't use the extra fluid still have a similar DPF to one that does?

Just spent 2 Grand on Front Wheel Bearings, a glow plug and oil change. I used to buy used cop cars for that kind of money. Oh, and they fixed a small fuel leak n/c.
Short answer is yes. They pump extra fuel into the engine to basically burn off the soot in the DPF (diesel particulate filter). This causes worse MPG and oil dilution issues.

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #25  
View attachment 494053
I spray our cars/truck with oil once every year.
My 26 year old (190,000 miles) 1991 truck has been sprayed underneath with oil every year for the past 21 years I've owned it.
I live in Western, Pa. (plenty of salt and calcium on the roads here). No rust on my truck and it runs in the salt/snow every winter.
My sons 03 Malibu (no rust). My wife's 05 Subaru (no rust). I climb under and spray them all with oil every year.
Used fluid film for the first time under them this year.

Vince, you spray the undercarriage? Just spray with used oil or? What do you spray with?

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments??
:laughing:
Retiredguy, I'll give you $1000 over the dealers trade in sight un seen!:thumbsup:
We have a '00 Sub 3/4 that's entering stage 4 rust cancer:thumbdown: I ordered new.

Why does yours have rust cancer? My truck has zero rust and paint bubbling. That is in despite of Michigan's constant salt spreading. My point in the OP was so that so many people pay big bucks for a new vehicle but after the payments are done they either trade in on something NEWER, BIGGER, BETTER rather than wanting to take the time to maintain and care for an older and paid for vehicle. I truthfully think the real reason for many people wanting to have a new vehicle is for the stupid reason: "Oh, I have to unload this 4 year old POS because it will cost me SO MUCH down the road..." Bull Crap. The bodies today last forever if you keep them clean, and mechanical parts last a long time. My GMC cost me $300 for new window motors. WOW....and that was at the 14 year old mark. Never fails to amaze me how people p*ss away tens of thousands of dollars a year thinking "Newer, bigger. better..." Excuse me while I go check the mark on my 401K not paying $600 a month has mattered over a 14 year period....:laughing:

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #27  
No, not on any of these vehicles.

Our 2013 Ford Edge has 117,000 miles. 2 sets of tires, a set of brakes, a battery, and a set of head light bulbs last week.

Our 2012 F150 has 103,000 miles. 3 sets of tires, new spark plugs, a battery, and a $80 heater fan controller. Still original brakes.

It's not about blowing money. We have kids in sports. My wife works 35 miles from home. I worked 68 miles from home for 3 years. Thanks economy and *****.... We live 7 miles from the nearest gas station. It is what it is.

YOU ARE NOT THE NORM. Either am I. Kelly Blue Book and NADA both base depreciation schedules on 15,000 miles a year, the NORM!

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #28  
I have owned a Y2K GMC Yukon XL 2500 since it was new, ...................

I always wonder why so so many people just HAVE to HAVE something new that depreciates a third once you drive it home. NO THANKS.

Maybe they are going to keep it 17 years like you did?

I pretty sure that others were saying the same thing about you when you bought your Y2K NEW!!!

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #29  
Vince, you spray the undercarriage? Just spray with used oil or? What do you spray with?
I spray everything I can. (except the exhaust system).
Inside the frame rails, inside every hole I can find, top of the fuel tanks, Etc.
I drilled 1/2" holes in my door jams and doors so I can spray back inside the doors and cab corners. ( I cap the holes with plastic plugs)
Drilled holes in the truck bed fender wells so I can spray inside the fenders. (cap the holes when done). Inside the tailgate, Etc.
Spray everything I possibly can every year.
I mostly use used motor oil. I've tried linseed oil a couple years. Used fluid film on all the vehicles this year.
Oiling makes a HUGE difference.
I have a 60 gallon air compressor with a undercoat spray gun (with flexible extension tubes if needed). Also have a Fluid Film sprayer gun.

/ What makes more sense...driving a long paid for old truck, or making huge payments?? #30  
This is my 2007 GMC

015.JPG

All original Has 148,520 miles

original brakes pads