Newbie Alert... looking for tractor buying advice.

/ Newbie Alert... looking for tractor buying advice. #21  
Hi sea2summit,

MX sure is a nice machine and there's certainly no lack of people who are happy with the Kubota brand.

MX bare tractor weight is fine: 3,800 pounds.

LA1065 FEL has lift of somewhere around 1,700 pounds, perhaps a tad more, depending on which spec you give credence. Not enough lift for your expressed need new, no safety margin, lift will decrease slightly with age.

....And, I love both the two new Kubotas I have purchased but you cannot get the weight and FEL capacity you need from Kubota for $30,000.

Last edited:
   / Newbie Alert... looking for tractor buying advice. #22  
Hi Indylan,

So I wouldn't need a counterbalance box if I had a box blade on the 3pt?

With 75% filled rear tires, a Box Blade weighing 800 pounds will be adequate as counterbalance when unloading 1,500 pound pallet loads on flat, smooth ground. Box Blades extend quite a ways to the rear, so cantilever leverage increases effectiveness of 800 pounds.

You can only mount one implement directly on the Three Point Hitch at a time, so, NO, you cannot mount a ballast box AND a Box Blade simultaneously.

R4/industrial tires are default choice for FEL work. R4s have more float and are six ply (sometimes eight ply) so they squat less with heavy FEL loads. R4s have thicker side walls. They are more puncture resistant in woods and working around stone outcroppings. R4s vibrate much less at speed on hard surface roads.

Having written that, postings on TBN relate that mud lasts a long time is Missouri and R1/bar/ag tires have much better traction in mud than R4s.

If you can wait for ground to dry, get R4s. With your slopes, ground should firm fast.

Last edited:
   / Newbie Alert... looking for tractor buying advice.
Good to know...thank you jeff9366!

Sorry, I didn't mean to mount both at one time...just that I wouldn't need ballast box if I had a box blade.

/ Newbie Alert... looking for tractor buying advice. #25  
You can move deadfall and other debris with SSQA pallet forks just fine.

The ideal device, though, for moving a lot of deadfall and other debris is a FEL grapple. Perhaps the Kioti will price within $30,000 budget so you can include a FEL grapple.

Hi jeff9366,

With the large piles of deadfall from the land clearing, a grapple would be very helpful (and fun). A lot of it will need to be drug out with a chain because of the steepness of the hills. Fortunately I don't do the stupid stuff I did when I was younger.

/ Newbie Alert... looking for tractor buying advice. #27  
Sorry, I didn't mean to mount both at one time...just that I wouldn't need ballast box if I had a box blade.

Ballast Boxes are more for small tractors primarily used for landscaping and gardening, that are garage stored, where space is at a premium.

Not entirely, but mostly.

You do not need a Ballast Box based on info you have posted.

Last edited:
   / Newbie Alert... looking for tractor buying advice. #28  
When you design the barn have a tractor door sufficiently tall so you do not have to fold the ROPS to enter.

Hi jeff9366,

Thanks. I had thought about that earlier, but I'm glad you reminded me. I had been planing 12' walls with a 10' tall entry (clear) w/ slider doors. The Kioti looks to be either 94 or 103 inches tall, close but enough.

/ Newbie Alert... looking for tractor buying advice. #30  
Last edited: