Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,951  
A couple of days ago I posted (#6881) about the HF MIG-180 welder I just bought from someone who had upgraded it with longer, heavier cables etc. Today I installed a replacement of the spool hub that should have been in it, and a jumper so + or - can be sent to the gun. (First owner had modified components to gas-only and 10 lb rolls only).

The welder works great, I won the gamble on buying used HF gear. I intend to run flux core only because I don't need pretty welds, most of what I do is modifications or repairs on 3-point implements. And I need to carry the welder a distance to locked storage when I don't have a project going. KISS principle.

I put down several sample beads on 1/8" flat stock and discovered the lower 1/3 of its heat range is sufficient for this. I tried maximum setting one time and went right through the 1/8" material.

One more mod is a big capacitor mounted external. I found that this smooths the arc at any amperage setting, as claimed. It is also claimed to increase output current, but that must stress the internals so I'm not likely to run it wide open with the capacitor switched on.

Has anyone on here applied these modifications to this, or the prior versions, of HF's mig welders?

Hi Ca,

If you find out anything about that capacitor add-on, particularly a how-to DIY, I would really appreciate a heads up, because I'd like to fully enable my HF wire burner.

Thanks,
Thomas

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,953  
Hi Ca,

If you find out anything about that capacitor add-on, particularly a how-to DIY, I would really appreciate a heads up, because I'd like to fully enable my HF wire burner.

Thanks,
Thomas
Here you go. This link is nothing more than a trail of breadcrumbs that will lead you down a rabbithole :D but it does answer your question ... and a lot more.

Take a look at this thread in the HF forum over on Welding Web
Cap mod on HF 180 mig
then start following the trail of links back into the prior threads there.

To summarize - the earlier blue mig welders were the basis for extensive mods to get them up to solid performers, and those mods are well documented if you wade through reading the inevitable trial and error engineering that was attempted and sometimes succeeded. Those same mods are applicable to the latest Mig 180 and 170 models but in my opinion HF did a pretty decent job with the 180, it's already at the level that those modifications were intended to accomplish.

The guy I bought my welder from was obviously a garage inventor and did a clean job of installing the latest, proven versions of the mods described in those threads. One thing he skipped - the capacitor needs a resistor across it to bleed off the charge after you release the gun's trigger. I found there is no resistor on mine. I cautiously shorted a screwdriver across it to see if there was still a charge a few minutes after welding - and burned through the chrome on the screwdriver. Since this capacitor is external on the back of the cabinet it's a significant safety hazard. I need to add the resistor and cut down a piece of Tupperware or something for a shield over the capacitor terminals.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,955  
They say on the pack they are to be used in something with a low draw.
How much lower draw can you get than from a digital camera. A good set of batteries will take several hundred pictures when not using a flash. And they start leaking within a month or so in a flashlight.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,956  
Any one have an opinion on 18 Volt 3/8 in. Cordless Drill/Driver And Flashlight Kit

My old cordless is dead as the batteries are fried. I don't use it all that much.....
I got one and the charger wont work. It is a two piece charger and the part that fits onto the battery has some chip boards in it (it doesn't work). The actually charger puts out 18v but the juice cant get thru the slip on battery attachment. Got to take it back if I ever go back to Little Rock (70 miles one way)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,957  
Any one have an opinion on 18 Volt 3/8 in. Cordless Drill/Driver And Flashlight Kit

My old cordless is dead as the batteries are fried. I don't use it all that much.....

I will never buy another NiCad battery powered tool ever. If you want to save money get a Ryobi lithium 18v. If you want something that will last decades get a Makita, Bosch, DeWalt, Fein etc 18V Lithium. For something to be used occasionally and mostly just around the house, the 12v lithium tools from Ryobi, Makita, Bosch are really very good.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,958  
How much lower draw can you get than from a digital camera. A good set of batteries will take several hundred pictures when not using a flash.

Every digital camera I've ever owned (that used AA batteries) recommended using NiMH rechargeables, and recommended against standard-duty batteries. I have NEVER gotten several hundred pictures out of a set...I'm lucky to get 70 or 80.

That having been said, I wonder if anyone at HF got the irony of recommending "heavy duty" batteries only for low-draw devices. :confused3:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,959  
How much lower draw can you get than from a digital camera. A good set of batteries will take several hundred pictures when not using a flash. And they start leaking within a month or so in a flashlight.

A digital camera is a high drain device. The HF batteries are Zinc Chloride.

Our Essential Guide To Batteries - Page 2 of 3 - What Digital Camera

If you use your camera frequently check out Eneloop batteries. Costco has them from time to time and Amazon has good prices on them.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,960  
I will never buy another NiCad battery powered tool ever. If you want to save money get a Ryobi lithium 18v. If you want something that will last decades get a Makita, Bosch, DeWalt, Fein etc 18V Lithium. For something to be used occasionally and mostly just around the house, the 12v lithium tools from Ryobi, Makita, Bosch are really very good.
Ditto. NiCad is obsolete, and nothing more than a frustration-maker. I don't know why HF still uses it.

Ryobi is the natural step up from HF into competent 18 volt tools for DIY, farm etc. Quite usable but not in the expensive, powerful category a pro would use daily.

Ryobi is "Good enough for the girls I go with." as an old Carpenter buddy used to say. :) I wouldn't buy anything cheaper.