Fuel Issue

/ Fuel Issue #1  

Duerwood Willis

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra
So last October I did something that has really bitten me in the butt. While working at the hunting camp, I had a limb bust the glass bulb on my factory fuel filter. As a temporary fix I by-passed the fuel filter, the temporary fix wasn't so temporary. I neglected to replace it, and after 10-15 hours of use I ran it low on fuel. I do not feel that it ran completely out because there were no signs from performance, my opinion was strictly from the fuel gage. I purchased 5 gallons of fuel, filled the tank and started working the tractor again. In less than 5 minutes the engine started to stumble and shut off, it would not crank back up. I winched it on the trailer, once home I drained all the fuel, replaced the glass bulb and installed a new fuel filter. It wouldn稚 crank, I eventually ruined the starter after trying to pure the air out of the system. After a week or so I was able to get it running again, I used some type of aerosol that our shop uses here at work, it works like starting fluid but no as hot therefore allowing you to keep it running by continuous spraying in the intake. I finally purged all the air from the injectors and had it running again, the problem today is, it loses power quickly after about 10-15 yards under a load or not. I can put the bucket against a solid surface and allow all four tires to dig down, it will start to lose power, I can let off for a second or two and allow the RPM痴 to build again and continue. The tractor is a 2004 Mahindra 2810 HST with 980 hours, can the injectors be rebuilt? Thoughts or suggestions appreciated!

/ Fuel Issue #2  
Your better off just getting new injectors if need be... try something first.... open your fuel tank cap then take the fuel line off from filter side and blow air back into the tank... im betting you got some trash build up at the outlet of the fuel tank and it lets enough fuel run through to run until it really needs to flow... you would be getting smoke though... id bet its your injection pump before the injectors itself though

/ Fuel Issue
Your better off just getting new injectors if need be... try something first.... open your fuel tank cap then take the fuel line off from filter side and blow air back into the tank... im betting you got some trash build up at the outlet of the fuel tank and it lets enough fuel run through to run until it really needs to flow... you would be getting smoke though... id bet its your injection pump before the injectors itself though

Out of curiosity why do you feel it would be the pump before the injectors? First line of defense?

/ Fuel Issue #4  
Sounds like you have some trash in the system. Remove the lines at the injectors and flush the lines out.
You may need to remove and clean the injectors but should not need to replace them.

I would add some Diesel Klean or similar product to help clean out the lines.

A pain but fixable.

One other note. I use a Mr Funnel to filter my fuel before it goes into the tank as added protection from crud build up in the tank.

/ Fuel Issue #5  
Out of curiosity why do you feel it would be the pump before the injectors? First line of defense?

Yes and I don't think you would have got it fired with messed up injectors... its not impossible though... does it seem to level out once the tractor warms up?

/ Fuel Issue
Yes and I don't think you would have got it fired with messed up injectors... its not impossible though... does it seem to level out once the tractor warms up?

Actually just the opposite, it runs worse the longer ran! To get it running I used the aerosol spray that had just enough combustion to keep the engine running until the fuel finally picked up and would support combustion. I ran it using the aerosol for probably 54 minutes while an old retired diesel mechanic cracked all the lines to purge, even after this it ran really rough and smoked. Eventually it cleared up and would easily maintain 2700-2800 rpms. Keep in mind it is a hydrostatic transmission, I can drive on even grade for 15 yards then the RPMs will start dropping until it gets to maybe 500, I can let off the forward pedal and they instantly build, I can do this over and over with the same results. I had to bushhog something, the longer it ran the length of time holding the RPMs would decrease.

/ Fuel Issue #7  
Actually just the opposite, it runs worse the longer ran! To get it running I used the aerosol spray that had just enough combustion to keep the engine running until the fuel finally picked up and would support combustion. I ran it using the aerosol for probably 54 minutes while an old retired diesel mechanic cracked all the lines to purge, even after this it ran really rough and smoked. Eventually it cleared up and would easily maintain 2700-2800 rpms. Keep in mind it is a hydrostatic transmission, I can drive on even grade for 15 yards then the RPMs will start dropping until it gets to maybe 500, I can let off the forward pedal and they instantly build, I can do this over and over with the same results. I had to bushhog something, the longer it ran the length of time holding the RPMs would decrease.

You have some restriction in the lines or injectors. The engine is starving for fuel. The pump builds up the pressure but cannot keep it up and the engine starves. When the load is reduced the pressure builds back up. The restriction may be in the pump itself or the filter is clogged.

Does your tractor have two filters? Mine has one at the tank and another just before the pump.

/ Fuel Issue #9  
Id start with blowing the lines out and definitely back into the tank... I do this with about every older TYM that comes in the shop

/ Fuel Issue #10  
Does that model have an electric fuel pump on it? or added to it?