Generator Electric power (PTO generator) on a moving tractor?

/ Electric power (PTO generator) on a moving tractor?
No, what I am saying is that the pto shaft will vary in speed with the engine rpm and is a problem since you can not hold a fix engine speed while driving the tractor. All the tractors in this size will have independent engagement of the pto drive but this does not fix the problem.

I feel your best bet is something like an Cummins Onan Quiet Diesel package genset in the size you need. A cheaper alternative would be a gas genset without all the noise cancelling shields.

Ahh, I see what you mean now. Thanks for the generator recommendations, I might go with the gas generator to keep it cheap and simple.

/ Electric power (PTO generator) on a moving tractor? #12  
An inverter generator could be a solution but do you know of any pto inverter generator in the 5 to 10kw output range? I haven't seen any thing close so far.
Some of the invertor generators are stackable, I have a 3Kw Yamaha that can be linked to another to derive 6Kw. Would be an expensive solution, but his plan might benefit from using 2 smallish generators rather than one big one.

/ Electric power (PTO generator) on a moving tractor? #13  
Some of the invertor generators are stackable, I have a 3Kw Yamaha that can be linked to another to derive 6Kw. Would be an expensive solution, but his plan might benefit from using 2 smallish generators rather than one big one.

Yes and I have two of those Honda inverter generators but I have not seen anything similar to this in a pto model have you?

/ Electric power (PTO generator) on a moving tractor? #14  
IF you aren't going too fast, using lower gears and don't have an undersized tractor for the job, I don't see any reason you couldn't use the pto genset while moving.

The governor on the tractor should keep the pto even enough, provided you are using a lower gear that the tractor can keep an even speed without putting too much load on the engine.

SR

/ Electric power (PTO generator) on a moving tractor? #15  
   / Electric power (PTO generator) on a moving tractor? #16  
I was thinking more along the lines of running the inverter through your 12DC wiring, similar to how the do it for pick up trucks.

Something along these lines.

10000 Watt Power Inverter | 10KW Inverter

1kW Export Power Vehicle Inverter | Leonardo DRS

The 2nd one doesn't list a price so I can only imagine...

Plus, if I'm not mistaken, inverters create a "cleaner" AC power compared to generators.

An inverter would work if you have a 1000+ amp 12volt electrical system in your tractor but I haven't seen one yet.:eek:
Don't see this as a practical solution for a tractor.

/ Electric power (PTO generator) on a moving tractor? #17  
IF you aren't going too fast, using lower gears and don't have an undersized tractor for the job, I don't see any reason you couldn't use the pto genset while moving.

The governor on the tractor should keep the pto even enough, provided you are using a lower gear that the tractor can keep an even speed without putting too much load on the engine.

SR

It is possible but the OP hasn't clearly stated what he is doing yet. Would not take much loading to cause a quick dip in rpms and steady electric power is out the window. Any type of ground engagement variable would be a problem.

/ Electric power (PTO generator) on a moving tractor? #18  
A microwave propped up on the fender would be a real nice thing to have for those long days in the field. But pulling something like a genset would tie up your rear end. Problems, problems.

A friend in the inverter business routinely installs heavier alernators in utility trucks to facilitate inverters.

/ Electric power (PTO generator) on a moving tractor? #19  
A microwave propped up on the fender would be a real nice thing to have for those long days in the field. But pulling something like a genset would tie up your rear end. Problems, problems.

A friend in the inverter business routinely installs heavier alernators in utility trucks to facilitate inverters.

In the winter I keep a small microwave and 4 cup coffee maker on my service truck, very handy on a cold morning. Nice to have a hot lunch too. This also helps make sure the generator has some routine use throughout the year.

/ Electric power (PTO generator) on a moving tractor? #20  
An inverter would work if you have a 1000+ amp 12volt electrical system in your tractor but I haven't seen one yet.:eek:
Don't see this as a practical solution for a tractor.

Thanks for letting me know. I was planning in installing one on my cub when I got around to it and now I know it wouldn't work.