About to pull the trigger on a new welder

/ About to pull the trigger on a new welder #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
Been running used stuff for such a long time that I'm done with second hand junk and I'm looking to buy new. I'd like for it to be a multiprocess machine because I don't do enough welding to justify dedicated machines. So I'm looking at pulling the trigger on a ESAB Rebel EMP 235. Thoughts???? Not the cheapest machine out there, but I really like the user friendly controls and power. Anybody try one? I'd like to try one at my local dealer, but i'm afraid he can't complete with the on-line prices due to the tax issue.

/ About to pull the trigger on a new welder #2  
The price is up there but dont think it's much more than any other> one machine does all. Does seam to be a hard model to find compared to the 215 version, Amazon doesn't even carry the 235, so what's Esab have compared to Everlast systems that is often mention on TBN?

ESAB Rebel EMP 235ic 110V/230V Multiprocess Welder - 0558012702

/ About to pull the trigger on a new welder #3  
The price is up there but dont think it's much more than any other> one machine does all. Does seam to be a hard model to find compared to the 215 version, Amazon doesn't even carry the 235, so what's Esab have compared to Everlast systems that is often mention on TBN?

ESAB Rebel EMP 235ic 110V/230V Multiprocess Welder - 0558012702

Not trying to offend anyone, but what ESAB has is a real company - I'd buy it hands down over an Everlast.

This is my opinion only.

But at $1800 I'd buy this one instead - I'm cheap :)
Thermal Arc Fabricator 252i Welder #W1441 | Welders Supply Company Beloit-Big Bend-Burlington Wisconsin and Rockford, Illinois

Different color:
ESAB Fabricator 252i W1004401

/ About to pull the trigger on a new welder #4  
Not trying to offend anyone, but what ESAB has is a real company - I'd buy it hands down over an Everlast.

This is my opinion only.

But at $1800 I'd buy this one instead - I'm cheap :)
Thermal Arc Fabricator 252i Welder #W1441 | Welders Supply Company Beloit-Big Bend-Burlington Wisconsin and Rockford, Illinois
I agree, if the ESAB breaks, you take it to the local dealer to have it fixed. Everlast breaks, it's going to be an ordeal, I'm not going into details but, I know from first hand experience and no longer have an Everlast in my shop because of it.

/ About to pull the trigger on a new welder #5  
No experience or knowledge from friends either on ESAB but it has a nice warranty. I seriously considered a multi purpose unit as I am in the same shoes now as far as usage. But I decided to focus on MIG and later get a TIG when I really needed/wanted it. Also wanted A/C TIG ability for aluminum and the multi purpose machines (at least that I researched) were DC only. Figured I would eventually kick myself for compromising. If you need stick/MIG/TIG now then it probably makes sense... I really only needed MIG.

I kind of liken the situation to those that bought a Shopsmith all in one tool only to regret it later when they got more into the making things and sell it for dedicated tools because of the hassle of setup changes.

/ About to pull the trigger on a new welder #6  
so what's Esab have compared to Everlast systems that is often mention on TBN?

I recently had my 22 year old ESAB plasma cutter repaired. The parts were still available from ESAB. Also ordered some small parts for my ESAB 300i MIG gun through Airgas. Parts were still available.

That's what ESAB has compared to Everlast.

/ About to pull the trigger on a new welder #7  
I recently had my 22 year old ESAB plasma cutter repaired. The parts were still available from ESAB. Also ordered some small parts for my ESAB 300i MIG gun through Airgas. Parts were still available.

That's what ESAB has compared to Everlast.
Good reply... nothing to sneeze at. After sales customer support is very important in my book especially on equipment you except to last a long time and get full value if possible. I buy tools now expecting them to last longer than me. Maybe except for HF grinders but at $9.99ea those are disposable. A multi process welder is a whole nuther story.

/ About to pull the trigger on a new welder #8  
I know the Rebel inside and out. Just remember. ESAB doesn't build the Rebel.They don't build anything anymore. The Rebel is a Chinese import that they put their sticker on. The warranty is replacement only as there are no repair parts available. Call your LWS and ask them. I'm not saying it's a bad machine but it still is what it is. A re-badged chinese import. They run ok but are over priced when you research their pedigree. The chinese tweco guns on the rebels are awful and the Rebel would perform better with a professional gun. Be sure to look into the other brands too and if the Rebel makes sense to you, by all means Buy it..

/ About to pull the trigger on a new welder #9  
I know the Rebel inside and out. Just remember. ESAB doesn't build the Rebel.They don't build anything anymore. The Rebel is a Chinese import that they put their sticker on. The warranty is replacement only as there are no repair parts available. Call your LWS and ask them. I'm not saying it's a bad machine but it still is what it is. A re-badged chinese import. They run ok but are over priced when you research their pedigree. The chinese tweco guns on the rebels are awful and the Rebel would perform better with a professional gun. Be sure to look into the other brands too and if the Rebel makes sense to you, by all means Buy it..
That's good info, this would be enough to rule the machine out for me. After my bad experience, I want machines that have parts available and a repair network in place.

/ About to pull the trigger on a new welder #10  
Been running used stuff for such a long time that I'm done with second hand junk and I'm looking to buy new. I'd like for it to be a multiprocess machine because I don't do enough welding to justify dedicated machines. So I'm looking at pulling the trigger on a ESAB Rebel EMP 235. Thoughts???? Not the cheapest machine out there, but I really like the user friendly controls and power. Anybody try one? I'd like to try one at my local dealer, but i'm afraid he can't complete with the on-line prices due to the tax issue.

Cord. IF you are relatively certain the ESAB Rebel ( 3 in 1 machine) will meet your needs then I would seriously consider buying the equivalent sized Tweco. You will most likely save money.

I have a smaller amp Tweco and it's a very nice machine.

IMG_7387.JPG

Terry