Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #121  
A big company like this would not make a "paperwork error" on something so important.

If you lived here and were part of the metroplex heartbeat, you would know the internal issues FCA has with trying to attract and keep talent as Ford and GM continue sucking their people away. And, if people were happy at FCA, they wouldn't be so eager to leave. My son was a powertrain engineer at FCA and he worked on the ECOdiesel program. The stories he would tell me about the internals, mostly mid-level management, was disgusting. He is now at GM and I know a few others that have bailed.

The ECOdiesel being a new program staffed with many entry level engineers and not enough experienced engineers to go around, I can see how it happened. You would not believe the complexity of regulations behind something as simple as a turn signal flash rate, and then each market has different requirements. That is just the beginning. When ***** talked about stream-lining regulations, he knew what he was talking about. You get into these regulations and days later you end up where you started, that is how circular they are. I am so glad I am retiring from automotive at the end of this year I can hardly stand the wait.

FCA wasn't the only victim of the EPA, most of the small diesel vehicle programs were re-examined due to VW's SNAFU. The small GM twins that use the little Duramax just got the OK to sell last month.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Just made about a 100 mile trip ( most of my driving is short 5-20 mile juants). This was a mix of freeway driving and stop n go Houston traffic. Truck averaged 25-26 mpg. I love the way the truck handles, turns really good and drives smooth.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #123  
I have 16K on my 2016 1500 EcoD and love it so far. The most I have towed is a bit north of 7K lbs but it was a boat (easy towing). Still have my 99 F250 7.3 6 speed for heavier towing.

As an aside, I literally just uploaded my VW buyback offer to VW Claims. I paid $22.5K for my 2012 Jetta TDI, they are paying me $17962.37 92K miles later. If FCA has to do the same, I hope the math works out this well!!

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #124  
For those of you dissing EPA, have you been following this? Why Congress Won't Pass a Bill to 'Terminate the EPA' - The Atlantic

Death from a thousand cuts is more likely than outright disestablishment.

In my mind this is a good thing. Giving ANY agency the kind of power they have enjoyed with any congressional limits has been disastrous. The DOJ (under the previous campaigner and chief) has tried to enact gun "regulations" severely curtailing second amendment rights, with a new "rule". No agency should have this power. That is why we have a congress, that has been ignored for the past 8 years.

It's time we eliminate so many regulations and get back to congressional "laws".

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #125  
Agree. Therein lies the rub.... various agencies take regulations well beyond what was ever intended. It is the nature of an agency to do so.. to justify larger budgets, justify their positions, etc. A lot of that needs whittled back. As founded, the EPA is not a bad agency. It has just been staffed over the years by over zealous tree huggers and communists to the point where they will only be happy when the economy grinds to a halt and there is no economic activity left.

But congress is clearly to blame. At any time they could audit agency funding and curtail the abuses. They let these agencies run amok and then politicians can claim plausible deniability in the resulting mess.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
I just wanted to update this thread. So far we are really loving the truck and the little diesel engine. We have towed a two horse trailer and my L3400 tractor with no problems. The truck has not given us any problems at all. I did install a set of the Air Ride 1000 air bags because the truck sagged when towing but that fixed that problem without affecting the ride.

Supposedly the Gov't is going after Ram like they did Volkswagen (and now Chevy HD trucks as well). It's a shame no other MFG put a small diesel in their 1500/150 series trucks over the last 15 years because I think they are a great fit. I hear Ford is looking into putting one in a F150. If I have to get rid of this one I'll definitely look into a small diesel powered F150 (but no more ecoboost for me).

I'm averaging about 20 mpg all time including towing and I have seen as high as 28 on the hwy. Usually it averages out to about 21-22 mpg per tank but it's hard to calculate since I tow something weekly. I did notice the trip computer can be erratic. Sometimes it's accurate and sometimes it's not on the MPG.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #127  
Glad to hear, we're considering moving a tractor or two about ~200mi north of us with our 1500 EcoDiesel. What length trailer did you use for your L3400?

For reference we've been seeing about 26-28 with mixed city/freeway which is awesome for a half ton truck.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #128  
Love my ecodiesel. Great highway mileage and still pulls heavy loads when needed. Here is my Branson 4720 on an 18' trailer. Ecodiesel handled it quite well. 20170531_101051.jpg

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #129  
I just wanted to update this thread. So far we are really loving the truck and the little diesel engine. We have towed a two horse trailer and my L3400 tractor with no problems. The truck has not given us any problems at all. I did install a set of the Air Ride 1000 air bags because the truck sagged when towing but that fixed that problem without affecting the ride.

Supposedly the Gov't is going after Ram like they did Volkswagen (and now Chevy HD trucks as well). It's a shame no other MFG put a small diesel in their 1500/150 series trucks over the last 15 years because I think they are a great fit. I hear Ford is looking into putting one in a F150. If I have to get rid of this one I'll definitely look into a small diesel powered F150 (but no more ecoboost for me).

I'm averaging about 20 mpg all time including towing and I have seen as high as 28 on the hwy. Usually it averages out to about 21-22 mpg per tank but it's hard to calculate since I tow something weekly. I did notice the trip computer can be erratic. Sometimes it's accurate and sometimes it's not on the MPG.
Dont forget about the Titan Diesel

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #130  

Impressive mileage for part time towing.
Just watched a tow test between the new F 150 10 speed and The eco diesel.217 Ford F-15 EcoBoost 1-Speed vs Ram 15 EcoDiesel 8-Speed Towing MPG Review - YouTube

Eco diesel managed over 13.28mpg and the eco boost managed 9.14 running premium.

Impressed with the Ram even though it won't win a drag race against the Ford.

I hope they don't pull these trucks off the road , Hard to convince me that burning a lot more gasoline versus diesel with a somewhat higher exhaust emissions is good for the environment.

Do agree with DP that the rules should apply to every manufacturer equally.
But hope the EPA doesn't force Dodge to program the fuel efficiency out of the 3.0.
My friend that has a Eco diesel still Loves his- but is also concerned about a (re-program)

Last edited: