Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #131  
Thanks for the update. Nice that you are happy with the truck.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #132  
I did install a set of the Air Ride 1000 air bags because the truck sagged when towing but that fixed that problem without affecting the ride.

Did you install the air pump, too, or do you have to run an air hose to them? I have considered installing some (with pump), but wondered about where the air controller switch would go on the dash...and what it would look like. Even if I have the dealer install, they said it wouldn't be the "factory" switches integrated into the dash where they belong!

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Impressive mileage for part time towing.
Just watched a tow test between the new F 150 10 speed and The eco diesel.217 Ford F-15 EcoBoost 1-Speed vs Ram 15 EcoDiesel 8-Speed Towing MPG Review - YouTube

Eco diesel managed over 13.28mpg and the eco boost managed 9.14 running premium.

Impressed with the Ram even though it won't win a drag race against the Ford.

I hope they don't pull these trucks off the road , Hard to convince me that burning a lot more gasoline versus diesel with a somewhat higher exhaust emissions is good for the environment.

Do agree with DP that the rules should apply to every manufacturer equally.
But hope the EPA doesn't force Dodge to program the fuel efficiency out of the 3.0.
My friend that has a Eco diesel still Loves his- but is also concerned about a (re-program)

My last truck was a 3.5 Ecoboost. Loved the engine but the truck was a total POS. It never got more than 15 mpg on a consistent basis and I spent about $3k in repairs well under 100,000 miles. If I ever considered another Ford it would either be the 5.0 V8 or their little diesel.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
For the person who asked I use a 16' tandem trailer to move my tractor.

The air ride bags just have two schraeder valves by the license plate. Easy to air them up as needed.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Dont forget about the Titan Diesel

Honestly I think the Titan misses the mark. You might as well buy a 2500 or 250. I hear the fuel mileage isn't great and it's not quite as capable as a real hd truck.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #136  
My 18 year old Volvo diesel does 50mpg on average, commuting on single lane highways at big rig speed of 90kmh (or 55-60mph)

Towing 8000 pounds with it is illegal though it still runs above 20mpg then. This engine is also used in the VW LT with a GCVW of 8750kg so it sure has the durability to work at higher continuous power output.

It is still surprising to see V6 gas engines being transplanted into American versions of European vans (Sprinter, ProMaster, Transit) instead of their original Diesels that exceed the V6 gassers in economy and torque. Is it a fetish for horsepower numbers ? Or is it just that people stick with what they know ?

Maybe also because the average FedEx driver will ride it like he stole it , when the engine is just started cold, so light commercial diesels dont work untill mindset changes...

Here in Europe a gas powered van is as rare as an ecodiesel in the USA..

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #137  
...and what also surprises me, is that the Cummins ISB4.5 four cylinder is used in 600.000 mile lasting 150-180-220hp configurations in 7.5 to 12 ton GVW trucks in Europe, but not in the USA... I mean even the 240hp Ecodiesel cant match the torque band of a 180hp ISB...

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #138  
It is still surprising to see V6 gas engines being transplanted into American versions of European vans (Sprinter, ProMaster, Transit) instead of their original Diesels that exceed the V6 gassers in economy and torque. Is it a fetish for horsepower numbers ? Or is it just that people stick with what they know ?
Probably a mix of historical $$$$ diesel repairs, gas being cheaper, the euro diesels not being EPA compliant (guessing) and the gas engines being "good enough" to get the job done.

Aaron Z

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Also gasoline is $2-3 per gallon, diesel about $.25-50 more. I hear gasoline starts at $8.00/gal in Europe, not sure about diesel. I just enjoy driving the truck and I think the diesel engine in this truck makes a lot of sense.

/ Ram 1500 EcoDiesel #140  
TG (OP),

Any updates on how things are going with the EcoD ? Mileage #'s, bags standing up OK,...... ?

Rgds, D.