Mowing Rabbits

/ Mowing Rabbits #2  
I have seen them and best I know, never butchered one but they are there and it's part of doing the job so you just have to either live with it or quit. I provide a lot of ground cover so for any I may have butchered unknowingly, I have made it possible for many replacements to occur.

/ Mowing Rabbits #3  
Lots of nature's little creatures about this time of year.I don't bush-hog my own property until August because of this.The local farmers kill many fawns and I am sure rabbits and birds this time of year.First cut is about June 15 which is also peak fawning time.

/ Mowing Rabbits #4  
When I mow the fields, the hawks, ravens and foxes follow me around the fields to snap up the casualties...mostly mice and voles...(we have no deer here, so fawns aren't among the injured).

/ Mowing Rabbits #5  
When I mow the fields, the hawks, ravens and foxes follow me around the fields to snap up the casualties...mostly mice and voles...(we have no deer here, so fawns aren't among the injured).

I had hawks and coyotes following me to pick up the casualties when I was cutting hay. And I once hit a young cottontail rabbit with the string trimmer when trimming around the barn. He was old enough that he'd left the nest, but that string trimmer killed him instantly and pretty well tore him up in the process. I hated that.

/ Mowing Rabbits #6  
If you have land signed up in a government program, land set aside, you cannot mow until October. You must mow it in strips every other year but not too soon so animals can raise their young.

I had forgotten this until this post. I have to disk half of it and mow the other half this fall.

RSKY

/ Mowing Rabbits #7  
I had hawks and coyotes following me to pick up the casualties when I was cutting hay. And I once hit a young cottontail rabbit with the string trimmer when trimming around the barn. He was old enough that he'd left the nest, but that string trimmer killed him instantly and pretty well tore him up in the process. I hated that.

Slugs are always a treat when using a string trimmer.

slug.png

/ Mowing Rabbits #9  
I know what you mean there.

When rototilling, my oldest granddaughters like to see who can stomp to death the most field mice. I encourage it with a prize to the winner.

/ Mowing Rabbits #10  
I have seen snapping turtles, possums, skunks, rabbits, squirrels, raccoons etc and all of them are a nuisance. They eat garden vegetables, grub and make holes in the lawn, chew on wiring and attract buzzards.

Does any one here just blast away at them indiscriminately even when young because young ones will grow up to be nuisances?