help me decide on Superduty

/ help me decide on Superduty #11  
6.4 is a powerhouse if it holds up. The consensus with Ford diesel engines is:

7.3 - OK power, lasts forever
6.0 - Good power, can be fixed to be reliable
6.4 - Great power, no fix available for inherent issues
6.7 - Great power, very reliable so far

I would not take a chance on the 6.4 engine for nearly 30 grand. I'd spend the same money or a bit more on a 6.7 with higher mileage or less on a low mileage 7.3.

I'd be leary of the short wheelbase as well. It won't feel as planted as your LWB crew when towing. Maybe for your short hauls it won't matter.

I also agree that less than 10k miles in nearly 10 years is not necessarily a good thing.
I agree. Heck for $30K you can buy a lot of stuff for your current ride or a differnt high miles truck thats 3 to 4 years old.

/ help me decide on Superduty #12  
The 6.4 is the powerhouse of the diesel engine world, Cummins and duramax can even begin to touch it. The engine is basically the 6.0 bottom end (super strong) with a common rail fuel system that has a twin sequential turbo. With the EGR and DPF removed and a tune added to make it work, it is a super work horse. Even the new 6.7 can't run with a well put together 6.4.

The problem is, it takes some money to get it reliable. The fuel system does not like water in the fuel, and just a little water can take out the fuel system. The rocker arms tend to wear out around the 100k mile mark, so keep that in mind. If it isn't deleted, the DPF is burned off by overfueling cylinders 7 & 8 to send unburnt diesel to the DPF to burn off the gunk. This causes the oil to become diluted with diesel fuel and destroys the oil in about 3,000 miles. Again, just delete it and save yourself the worries. It does have the tried and true transmission in it, so no worries there.

I personally like the 6.4 and the styling of that generation. My dad had a few in his construction truck fleet that held up real well. Our head diesel mechanic deleted them though and they received fluid maintenance every winter. The 6.4 were the trucks to haul the heaviest of loads they had. They did well...

/ help me decide on Superduty #13  
i have an 06 F350 diesel SRW longbed crewcab with 230,000 miles. Its mainly my hunting truck and I use it to pull a 25' gooseneck with my Kubota M6800, maybe 6 times a year for local trips of 30 miles max. Total max load of trailer, tractor, implement may run 15,000 pounds, I guess. It pulls well, but the high milesge worries me, as far as my confidence of its dependability.<snip>

What's wrong with it? on my '02 w/ 155,000 miles I've been putting in about 1 to 2 thousand a year for replacement/maintenance (mostly taken in to repair shops in Northern Virginia) - shocks, brakes (drums and all), rear diff rebuild, tires etc. but it's still a lot less than what a replacement, even a used replacement would cost.

Plus I know what HAS been wrong with it and how it's been driven since 2012.

If your '06 engine has been "fixed" it should be good for may more miles.

Now if your frame is rusted out that's another matter.

And like others wrote your losing about half your payload capacity.

/ help me decide on Superduty #14  
I have had 5 or 6 6.0s.. if they are maintained they are good motors. If you have 200k on yours and know the history... I would keep it. .. The 6.4 is a time bomb and once it goes off.. your trucks next job will be as a morning for a boat. Those 6.4s are likley the worst motor Ford ever put in a superduty. ..and they are horrible on fuel.

/ help me decide on Superduty #15  
6.4's are 150k motors usually.

/ help me decide on Superduty #16  
6.4's are 150k motors usually.

The Ford techs in the dealerships would call the 6.4 diesels "maypops" ... meaning they "may pop" and blow up at any moment.

/ help me decide on Superduty #17  
I would find some new techs, the engine is not a bad by any means. Understand it and you'll be fine.

/ help me decide on Superduty #18  
Most people don't want to "understand it". They want to get in it and drive it. Its illegal to delete it. It won't pass an emission test. I have a co-worker that had very bad luck with a 6.4. As so many others have said, stay away.

/ help me decide on Superduty #19  
Keep what you got. Those are fleet-duty engines and with regular maintenance will easily surpass 500,000 miles. If you just want a newer truck, meh.
It's hard to find one used that isn't tarted up with dude ranch posh, or 4 wheel drive, or low miles.

/ help me decide on Superduty #20  
Keep what you got. Those are fleet-duty engines and with regular maintenance will easily surpass 500,000 miles. If you just want a newer truck, meh.
It's hard to find one used that isn't tarted up with dude ranch posh, or 4 wheel drive, or low miles.

I agree. I'd bullet proof that 6.0 if you haven't already and you are good to go. Those were bus engine blocks.

As my mechanic said about my Mercedes 240D when I left him one time "see you after another quarter million miles".

Last edited: