help me decide on Superduty

/ help me decide on Superduty #21  
I would find some new techs, the engine is not a bad by any means. Understand it and you'll be fine.

Why should we have to understand it, rework it at great cost just to make it useful? How about we just buy something that we have to change fluids and drive for a few hundred thousand miles.

/ help me decide on Superduty #22  
Why should we have to understand it, rework it at great cost just to make it useful? How about we just buy something that we have to change fluids and drive for a few hundred thousand miles.

That's the American spirit!

My understanding is in the specific case of Ford trucks they took an almost bulletprooof package and tried to get more HP out of it with an entirely new engine.

That's partially why I have two 7.3's.

You don't
have to understand it, rework it at great cost just to make it useful
just buy something else. But whenever you buy something NEW with NEW features be prepared to be a guinea pig.

/ help me decide on Superduty #23  

This is the American mentality of today. Anything outside of routine maintenance and fuel is a piece of junk. Well, remember the context of the release of this engine, right during the transition to more stringent emission standards. If you step back and look at the complexity of this engine, and the power it makes, a person is going to have to understand it more than just when to replace the oil. For those of us that need the platform and power, yea, you're going to have to make an investment on how the **** thing works. Like I said, it was a monster for it's time and still can hang with the technology of today. There is still lots of these engines on the road, and I personally know of 2 that work 5 days a week.

/ help me decide on Superduty #24  

Right. For the price of these trucks running for 300K miles should be an expectation without anything major going wrong. A diesel not being able to tolerate water in the fuel as well as other diesels do? Diesel is hygroscopic, small amounts are going to be there.

Last edited:
   / help me decide on Superduty #25  
The 6.4 is the powerhouse of the diesel engine world, Cummins and duramax can even begin to touch it. The engine is basically the 6.0 bottom end (super strong) with a common rail fuel system that has a twin sequential turbo. With the EGR and DPF removed and a tune added to make it work, it is a super work horse. Even the new 6.7 can't run with a well put together 6.4.

The problem is, it takes some money to get it reliable. The fuel system does not like water in the fuel, and just a little water can take out the fuel system. The rocker arms tend to wear out around the 100k mile mark, so keep that in mind. If it isn't deleted, the DPF is burned off by overfueling cylinders 7 & 8 to send unburnt diesel to the DPF to burn off the gunk. This causes the oil to become diluted with diesel fuel and destroys the oil in about 3,000 miles. Again, just delete it and save yourself the worries. It does have the tried and true transmission in it, so no worries there.

I personally like the 6.4 and the styling of that generation. My dad had a few in his construction truck fleet that held up real well. Our head diesel mechanic deleted them though and they received fluid maintenance every winter. The 6.4 were the trucks to haul the heaviest of loads they had. They did well...

Yeah, just delete the DPF. If you don't live in the USA. Because the fine is huuuuuuge.

/ help me decide on Superduty #26  
Nothing wrong with someone who likes to wrench buying something. A person really shouldn't have to know more than to change the oil and other routine maintance to own a modern vehicle. He's looking at a vehicle with 8000 miles on it.

/ help me decide on Superduty #27  
This is the American mentality of today. Anything outside of routine maintenance and fuel is a piece of junk. Well, remember the context of the release of this engine, right during the transition to more stringent emission standards. If you step back and look at the complexity of this engine, and the power it makes, a person is going to have to understand it more than just when to replace the oil. For those of us that need the platform and power, yea, you're going to have to make an investment on how the **** thing works. Like I said, it was a monster for it's time and still can hang with the technology of today. There is still lots of these engines on the road, and I personally know of 2 that work 5 days a week.

Yes for someone like me who can build a motor in my sleep anything could be made to work. Now understand one of my business is a well respected used car lot. I sell lots of trucks and know the average customer doesn't want to spend the kind of money it takes to buy something, only to have act up prematurely. Spend money to fix it only to have it break down or act up again till they finally find out exactly what they have to change to make it work and last. Maybe you have time and money to waste on upgrades and down time but most people I know find having to buy something and then wait till they can afford to remanufacture it into something useable consider it a waste all the way around!

/ help me decide on Superduty #28  
Nothing wrong with someone who likes to wrench buying something. A person really shouldn't have to know more than to change the oil and other routine maintance to own a modern vehicle. He's looking at a vehicle with 8000 miles on it.

As with airplanes, cars have some parts that are life-limited by time. So a twenty year old car with five miles may need $5K worth of rubber parts.

/ help me decide on Superduty #29  
I was talking about the truck the OP was looking at. It's just a few years old.

/ help me decide on Superduty #30  
We're fixing to trade my wife's 13 f250 in. Has 50k miles. Only issues have been the backup camera. Black book or auction price is 40-42. I would find a way to spend a little more and get into a 6.7. I wasn't offering mine for sale to be clear but wanted to show what's out there. Mine has a 4" high end lift, ranch hand and is clean. Driven by my wife. These trucks are great. I have a 17 450. It's even better. All my friends with 6.4 live in constant fear of when it's going to grenade. I think if you bought one early in its life and deleted it, it could be a solid truck but the first attempt at emission was a failure IMO. 6.7 have a lot of perks. Expand your search. Might be worth it to fly somewhere and drive home for a clean one. Try to get a 13. They got the new dash. Also it's really hard to find older ones with nav. When the tidal wave hit Japan, it knocked out a bunch of places that built them so there was a huge shortage.

Brett