Tractor broke in half again

/ Tractor broke in half again
So I am waiting for the parts to show, but thought I would share this with you. This is the pin and its assorted parts.

Basically you have the pin (1-1/4" for you engineers)
Jesus Nut
2 Spacers, one on top and one on the bottom
The ball (which if I remember correctly goes into the piece that is broken) and two circlips to hold the ball in.

Engineering thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4711.jpg
    IMG_4711.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_4712.jpg
    IMG_4712.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 123
   / Tractor broke in half again #22  
So what exactly broke?

The eye appears to be similar to a 3pt hitch lower link ball end. Anyone else notice that?
Category 1 lower link ball ends are 7/8" diameter.
Category 2 lower link ball ends are 1-1/8" diameter.
Category 3 lower link ball ends are 1-7/16" diameter.
Category 4 lower link ball ends are 2" diameter.

Anyhow, I'd take the broken part to Tractor supply, or some other agri-supply type place and compare it to the 3pt lower arm ball joints and see if they are compatible.

Do not forget that there are top link replacement ends,,, that would increase the number of sizes,,

CAT 2 is 1",,, much easier to work with than 7/8"
Then there are;
CAT 3
and
CAT 4

I have not looked up those sizes,,,

/ Tractor broke in half again #23  
Engineering thoughts?

What is the diameter of the ball? What is the height of the circle that the ball sits in?

I think Mossroad has the right idea; this is probably a CAT3 or 4 link ball.

I personally would mill a replacement bracket for that ball that is as thick as there is room to fit it. Since this has broken twice, obviously under-designed. But than I have a couple of mills in my garage that make that kind of experimentation easy and cheap. :D

Amazing that the bracket holding it broke before the circlip gave way.

/ Tractor broke in half again #24  
So I am waiting for the parts to show, but thought I would share this with you. This is the pin and its assorted parts.

Basically you have the pin (1-1/4" for you engineers)
Jesus Nut
2 Spacers, one on top and one on the bottom
The ball (which if I remember correctly goes into the piece that is broken) and two circlips to hold the ball in.

Engineering thoughts?

A little helicopter reference there?

I am going to ask Terry about this. See what his take is. PT is not one to over engineer their stuff so I wonder why they did not go with a Cat 3 connector. I personally have had bad luck with the rollover bars on the machine, which use Cat 1. The steel on the outer collar never seems strong enough.

TMarks. It si so great you invited me up this week to mill out some new stuff for my machine. Very excited ;-)

/ Tractor broke in half again #30  
It appears, from looking at the avatar, that you carry some huge overhung loads with the FEL and grapple. Is that causing the breakage perhaps?