WalMart Shoplifting

/ WalMart Shoplifting #101  
Years ago my bank started putting my picture on my credit card. The only problem I have now is each time it's reissued they use the same picture and I have a lot less hair than I did 20 years ago.

/ WalMart Shoplifting #102  
I was in Wallyworld tonight with my wife and a couple friends. Upon entering the store, the associate stopped my wife and I and asked if we had a "return". My answer was "yes". Obviously, we had a Wallymart bag with a box of the new high-dollar burned out flourescent light bulbs to return. She took the box out of the bag, kept the bag (wouldn't give it back) and put a sticker on it. We took the box to the customer service counter, showed the associate the receipt, she asked if we wanted cashback or a store credit. I needed more bulbs (so they can blow in a month or two) so I told her " I want store credit". She issued us a card to use at checkout. I found it odd that she didn't even look in the box. Heck, it could have been empty for all she knew and I got a 14.00 credit for an empty 6pack of bulbs. Hmmmm. haha.

After we paid I asked her if she's seen Bob...she looked at me like I was on crack (if you are just tuning in to this thread, go back and read all the posts...then you'll understand). I walked out with all my stuff in a few bags and I was carrying the bags with my wife in tow. My friends had their stuff in a cart. When we got to the "associate" at the door, she asks my friend for his receipt, but when I asked if she wanted to see mine, she replied "no, your items are in bags, we don't check those".

Podunk

/ WalMart Shoplifting
Podunkadunk said:
I found it odd that she didn't even look in the box. Heck, it could have been empty for all she knew and I got a 14.00 credit for an empty 6pack of bulbs. Hmmmm. haha.

I heard a local story a few years back where someone had returned some major appliance still in the box to Sears. Don't remember what it was but lets say it was a washer. Someone else bought it and when it was delivered they opened the box to find it had a chunk of concrete in it the same weight as the appliance.....

/ WalMart Shoplifting #104  
(3) Merchandise means any goods, chattels, foodstuffs or wares of any type and description, regardless of value.
(A) A person is guilty of shoplifting if he:
(1) Transfers Merchandise from one area of a store to another area.
``````
````````````
3* Does it also mean Merchandise/items that aren't owned by the store/merchant?
I've often wondered how many people have been accused of shoplifting their own stuff and worse yet how many have been convicted of it?
1* This is going a bit far making taking something you decided you didn't want and putting it back on a shelf a shoplifting crime.

/ WalMart Shoplifting #105  
Bird said:
Phil, I'd have probably done the same thing you did; i.e., tell her to call the police if she thought I was stealing anything. However, having worked shoplifting prevention and enforcement, I can tell you that the coat draped over the arm is an old shoplifter's trick. So of course what we would have done would have been to watch you very closely in the store to see if you tried to hide something in the coat.:D But we would never have challenged you or asked to search or anything like that unless we actually saw you take and conceal merchandise.
Bird, when my sister graduated from college she got her first job as an assistant manager for Famous Footwear. Hey we all have to start somewhere. As part of her management training she had to take a theft prevention class. One of the things she learned that she shared with me was the fact that a shoplifter if confronted will most often scream and shout thier innocence and make a commotion. Whereas an innocent person will just be so shocked and more quiet about it. Was that your experience also?

One tinme at JC Penney's at the jewelry counter I saw the sales staff confront a woman she had accused of concealing merchandies. WOW! You should have heard he yelling out of that woman, my her indgnity was quite loud. i remembered what my sister had told me and figured the shopper was guilty based on her reaction.

I once worked with a fellow who did theft protection nights, while he was going to college, at a big department store similar to a Macys. I told him I thought I would be watched a lot since, when I managed to get out of the house without my small children, shopping in the department store, I would be in there for hours picking up and handling a lot of merchandise and trying on a lot of clothes (since I basically only went clothes shopping twice a year) He ssaid that my actions would not lead to a lot of scrutiney. There were tell tale signs of a shoplifter. For example they are always looking around to see if anybody is looking at them, not having thier head down engrossed in touching and examining the merchandise like I always did. I always look things over really good before I buy, lessoned learned over the years I guess. So I guess I msut have looked pretty innocent.

/ WalMart Shoplifting #106  
a shoplifter if confronted will most often scream and shout thier innocence and make a commotion. Whereas an innocent person will just be so shocked and more quiet about it.

What was the Shakespeare line about someone "doth protest too much"?:D I've seen both kinds, but yes, it's quite common for the guilty, when caught, to create a commotion. I think they are usually hoping to bluff their way out.

I would be in there for hours picking up and handling a lot of merchandise and trying on a lot of clothes

Rox, I've always kidded my wife that people might think she's blind because she can't look at clothing without touching and handling it.:D And I sure won't go shopping with her because I don't want to stand around and wait that long. You say your reason was that you only went clothes shopping twice a year. I think my wife's reason is mostly curiosity; before we retired she worked for a women's clothing manufacturer. They used a lot of sub-contractors who came to the office to pick up the patterns and material and my wife's job was to give those contractors the right amount, type, color, etc. of thread, lace, or whatever trim was needed for the garments, so I guess she learned a little bit about the quality of stitching and such things.:D

/ WalMart Shoplifting #107  
I went to Autozone yesterday at about 7pm. There were 2 workers and about 4 of us customers. One of the customers (soon to be shoplifter) was talking with a worker and I thought they might be friends.
The worker helping me seemed distracted when he began the process of testing my alternator and kept watching the "customer" that I though was his friend. He mumbled "I bet that guy is about to steal something". A few more customers entered the store and 1 minute later the exit electronic alarm goes off. Both workers briskly walked out the door and the worker who had mentioned something about the guy stealing calls back to me "see what did I tell you!". They yelled at the guy "Hey! you! come back here!" but the shoplifter kept on walking away.
Afterwards, the worker helping me said he thought he might have seen the guy slip something into his jacket but wasn't sure at the time (until the alarm went off). He and the other worker said that they think this guy had stolen something else last week, but the alarm didn't go off so they weren't sure.
They said they would only call the police the next time he stole something.

On my drive home, I passed the shoplifter about a quarter mile from the store, walking down the sidewalk carrying a plastic packaged item in his hand... no shame there... and apparently no worries about the police pulling up behind him...

Back when I was 16 (almost 20 years ago), I accidentally stole some fries from a Hardees drive thru. I ordered a Ham and Cheese and a Sprite. I payed and the worker hands me a bag (no drink). I sit there awhile until they open the window again (a different worker) and said "I ordered a Sprite and I'm still waiting on it". They give me a Sprite and after I pulled away and looked in the bag, I saw a small order of fries along with my sandwich. I suppose the drive thru attendant thought I said "small fries" instead of "small sprite".

I felt bad for getting the free fries, but I was too unsure of what to do so I just went on my way and didn't go back to offer to pay for the fries.

/ WalMart Shoplifting #108  
You didn't order them.. and it's not like they could take them back once handed to you..

soundguy

/ WalMart Shoplifting #109  
Soundguy said:
it's not like they could take them back once handed to you..

Now if it had been White Castle... :)

If it makes you feel any better, at today's prices ($1.29 and $5.85/hour) if it had taken you more than 10-15 minutes to explain things it would have cost more than the fries are worth. If you really want to make a donation you can always buy a fountain drink, usually it's the highest margin stuff at a fast food place and you can just walk out without filling your cup.

/ WalMart Shoplifting #110  
Was grocery shopping today and often seem to spot people acting suspicious... no formal training... just 35 years of property management and hospital security...

Anyway... I see this guy of about 30 with a Hoodie grab a bottle of Vodka back handed... his "Partner" is at the Deli Counter buy Mac and Cheese... pays for the Mac and Cheese and then head for the "Entrance" to Exit... I mention it to the the clerk and ask for Loss Prevention... she said the store does not prosecute and it is just a cost of doing business...

I wish I could say I had never seen it before... but typically it has been teens... not someone in his 30's...

A few weeks back a beloved clerk at another grocery store heard a customer scream as she was leaving the store and the clerk tackled a purse snatcher and foiled the robbery and the thief was arrested... the customers and TV said the guy is a hero... 13 years on the job... the Store terminated his employment...

There was such a public outcry he got his job back with a reprimand warning should he not follow company policy in the future...

Tough call but I doubt many here could simply stand by if we had the chance to help...