WalMart Shoplifting

/ WalMart Shoplifting #191  
At one time I was in the wholesale consumer trade.
A large % of 'shrinkage' was attributed to employees helping themselves, more than actual shoplifting.

Folks don't realize that on line shopping, while convenient, is largely overcome by shipping fees. (hint-invest in UPS or other carriers)
As to Walmart , my local one has been great. Over the phone they actually gave me a credit for a product that was less than par, (rushed in next day to obtain the credit).
On a product that I wanted the Mgr actually imported it from another store and called to advise it was in. Naturally I took advantage of the efforts. I suspect that not all are that concerned as to client satisfaction. ( wish there was a post that I could have credited that employee)

All to say, some retailers have it and some don't enuf said.

I am a patient sort, I peruse China web sites and willing to wait for delivery as I tend to plan ahead.
So far I am most satisfied with the majority of my buy. OK some are disappointing but overall I can't complain.

/ WalMart Shoplifting #192  
We were at Chili's a while back and my wife wanted a Marguerita and the waitress asked for an ID. Wife said "your kidding?" Waitress said no, manager required them to check ID for all alcoholic purchases. WIFE IS 70 YEARS OLD!!!! I didn't raise a stink with the manager only because we were with some friends. If we were by ourselves, I very likely would have approached the manager and not to politely told him how stupid he was before we walked out.

Target does that here; I think what happened was they got burned a time or two by incompetent clerks, and they have a company policy now that they check everyone, and type in their date of birth from their I.D. I'm used to it now, I know I don't look young enough to be 21, although my 25 year old Grand son might.

/ WalMart Shoplifting #193  
One look at an American with a bottle opener was probably a big red flag in their pantywaist book! :D No telling what you might do with that thing.. :laughing:

They spent more money to send that guy up to the room than the cheap bottle opener cost. :shocked::laughing::laughing::laughing:

We were getting a corporate rate on the room but it was still $250-300 a night. They could afford to have a 50 cent bottle opener in the room! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

We are planning another overseas trip, and in our long trip planning session this weekend, the wifey mentioned she was packing a bottle opener in the suit case. :D That was the third trip, at three hotels, that did not have a bottle opener! :shocked::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ WalMart Shoplifting #194  
And I did similar once, guy almost wouldn't leave the room without a tip

One of the really nice things about Ireland was no tipping. :thumbsup: Feels really WRONG not to tip but it is not expected. The staff brought us the bottle opener, I opened the cider and handed him back the bottle opener. I just felt really silly have to ask for a $%^&*( bottle opener.

We found it odd that there were no bottle openers for sale in all of the little grocery stores we went too. The only thing I could figure is that this was on purpose. Our hotel was right across from a huge stadium and I wonder if they did not sell the bottle openers so that on game day people would buy canned beer or cider. :confused3: Bottles can cause damage when thrown or broken not so much with cans. At least that is my theory and the only rationalization I have for the lack of bottle openers.

When we were there, they were having a major sport final at the stadium. The street was blocked off, lots of Garda(Police) hanging about and some where actually armed, :D and the hotel had hired security to keep non guests out of the hotel.

On another forum, an Irishman said it was illegal to carry a knife in Ireland. I asked him if that meant pocket knifes and he said yes. When we went for a walk on game day, we stopped and talked with a Garda who looked bored and had a long, pleasant talk. I can't remember if I asked him about concealed pocket knife carry. :confused3::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ WalMart Shoplifting #196  
Olympia is one of the few places that actually puts accurate physical descriptions of arrested or individuals sought for crimes

It was kind of a culture shock in that it is very rare for the Bay Area media to provide any detail...

/ WalMart Shoplifting #197  
Last edited:
   / WalMart Shoplifting #198  
I don't know anything about their policies, any limit on the value of shoplifted items, etc., but I do occasionally see stories in the Denton newspaper about shoplifting arrests at both of Denton's Walmart Super Centers, as well as the Target store, and Kroger's.